Deezflops

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Yeah, I had already wanted to replace the front bumper, so if I could do that and avoid the $400 base plate I just wanted to think ahead. I just need to research a bit more about the safety of towing from the bumper instead of the base plate...
Sponsored

Norrissey

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
I hear ya ... My posts were aimed at those wanting to flat tow their JL and no more....
Cheers let me know if/when you find a base plate for a JL .... been searching too!

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Roadmaster has their base plate out now but honestly there is no way I would use it. To me the method they used with twist lock post in tube construction looks like a bad idea and I wouldn’t trust it for my personal usage. looks like it could result in an accident if a simple little spring loaded detent pin were to stick or fail. This is just my opinion.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521450-5.pdf

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Roadmaster has their base plate out now but honestly there is no way I would use it. To me the method they used with twist lock post in tube construction looks Mickey Mouse and I wouldn’t trust it for my usage. Just looks like a bad idea and one that could result in an accident if a simple little spring loaded detent pin were to stick or fail.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/521450-5.pdf
Thanks for posting. Good to know Roadmaster has an offering now for the JL/JLU. Blue Ox will have theirs available in a couple of weeks+- so they say.

In regard to this Roadmaster offering that you are critical of.... Geeez, it looks like all the other base plate offerings for the Wrangler, I have seen over the last 15 or so years from Roadmaster and Blue Ox. That thing you call a "spring loaded detent pin" has been proven to be aok over the years.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
It may be just fine but it makes me personally uncomfortable. If that pin had dirt in it or a rusty or worn spring the post could rotate and pull out. May not be likely but I think it could possibly happen. I would have preferred one of the designs that used a hitch pin through the post/tube to secure them.

It does look like they tucked it under the bumper pretty well though.

Anyway, I’m still researching options but figured I would share the find.

Sponsored

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Anyone figure out the wiring for flat tow lights? The JLUR’s Brake lights come on when my Supplemental brake system pushes on the brake pedal and I can’t find the fuse or anyway to disable them. For towing I went with some roadmaster bolt on brackets on the optional steel front skid plate and bumper also added bracing back to the frame seems to work fine was a pretty simple install. Much like the Currie setup for JK’s.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Anyone figure out the wiring for flat tow lights? The JLUR’s Brake lights come on when my Supplemental brake system pushes on the brake pedal and I can’t find the fuse or anyway to disable them. For towing I went with some bolt on brackets from Rock Hard 4x4 ($75) mounted on the optional steel front skid plate and bumper also added bracing back to the frame seems to work fine was a pretty simple install. Much like the Currie setup for JK’s.

PS: I towed my 2007 JK Unlimited for Over 15,000 miles with a similar set up never had an issue. I use a blue ox Alpha tow bar.
4CD29382-5CF3-49DF-B8DD-B6571306E64D.jpeg

968BBE0F-4AFE-4768-931F-40BA43037F4E.jpeg

Last edited:

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Is that strap bolted to the frame itself or the skid plate horn that hangs down from the frame. Can’t tell for sure from the pictures.

On lighting I haven’t yet. My STI Stay-in-play duo still in box while I try to figure out my wiring and what method I will use to attach my RoadMaster Sterling towbar to the Jeep. I’m still currently favoring a rockhard4x4 bumper but trying to wait for a few other options to come out for comparison.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Is that strap bolted to the frame itself or the skid plate horn that hangs down from the frame. Can’t tell for sure from the pictures.

On lighting I haven’t yet. My STI Stay-in-play duo still in box while I try to figure out my wiring and what method I will use to attach my RoadMaster Sterling towbar to the Jeep. I’m still currently favoring a rockhard4x4 bumper but trying to wait for a few other options to come out for comparison.

It’s a quarter inch strap bolted to the stub that goes down to the skid plate. But with that there’s now a total of nine grade 10.9 metric bolts between the skid plate and bumper flange . I’m pretty comfortable with it. I use an RVibrake3 portable brake unit because I have a number of different vehicles that I tow. The wiring for that only involves trying to change the ignition 12V power outlet on the dashboard to one that’s always hot and run my break away cable. My JK had one of each 12V already from the factory.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a quarter inch strap bolted to the stub that goes down to the skid plate. But with that there’s now a total of nine grade 10.9 metric bolts between the skid plate and bumper flange . I’m pretty comfortable with it. I use an RVibrake3 portable brake unit because I have a number of different vehicles that I tow. The wiring for that only involves trying to change the ignition 12V power outlet on the dashboard to one that’s always hot and run my break away cable. My JK had one of each 12V already from the factory.

The stay-in-play looks easy enough to install but not sure about the lighting yet. I’m hoping to see a kit soon so I don’t have to play guinea pig to figure it out.

Regarding the mounts I had been thinking about the possibility of mounting a set of rockhard4x4 brackets (looks like your Roadmaster ones) directly to the bumper mount horn/flange and trimming my plastic sport bumper for it to be accessible. With that I was thinking of running a piece of 1/4” flat stock behind the b7mper to each frame horn/flange to improve lateral support.

Sponsored

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The stay-in-play looks easy enough to install but not sure about the lighting yet. I’m hoping to see a kit soon so I don’t have to play guinea pig to figure it out.

Regarding the mounts I had been thinking about the possibility of mounting a set of rockhard4x4 brackets (looks like your Roadmaster ones) directly to the bumper mount horn/flange and trimming my plastic sport bumper for it to be accessible. With that I was thinking of running a piece of 1/4” flat stock behind the b7mper to each frame horn/flange to improve lateral support.

I miss spoke earlier. Mine were actually the ones from hard Rock. I think I’m going to use wireless tell lights for now until somebody comes out with a proper harness

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I got to pay more attention to the voice recognition software. I meant to say that my brackets were from Rock Hard and wireless taillights for now

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
To power my supplemental brake system I just utilized one of the Auxiliary switches on my Rubicon (programmed to be constant on) and wired in a female 12v socket from the battery area to the drivers side foot well. There is an access plug under the drivers side dash fairly high up that worked perfect to run that and my break away wiring into the engine compartment. I'll stick with the wireless tow lights until Jeep or someone comes out with a flat tow harness.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
What are the wireless tail lights?

I ended up ordering one of the aluminum mid width rockhard4x4 bumpers to tow from with the Roadmaster brackets.

Dcmtfam

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wireless LED magnetic tow lights that are available on Amazon or eBay or anywhere. Since I have the metal bumper option they work real well for now.

A092EE25-949E-4BAF-8FD3-D3C76B1F833B.jpeg
Sponsored