Best Battery

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 2020 Powerwagon, 1956 F-100
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best main battery and auxiliary battery? I am thinking about getting an Optima gel battery for the main battery, but curious if anyone has anything special for the replacement aux battery. I would do the Genesis Dual Battery off-road set up, but its not compatible with our diesel engine bays.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The options, unless I have missed some posts, are lean on the aux battery. I suspect that may have been because the earliest JLs were still under their 3 year warranty until recently. When I asked 4WP, they said they were looking at add some later in 2021.

i have heard nothing but bad things about Optima since their acquisition. You will always have people who love/hate any product, but they seem to have lost their high level of quality control. I went with Odyssey and it seems fine.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Odyssey is very good, maybe the best, but be very careful where you buy it. Odyssey will not honer warranty if you buy it from Amazon or other "non-authorised " resellers. Plus batteries are non-returnable items, and has lots of shipping damages because they are super heavy.

I'm currently running Optima yellow top DH6. Not because it's the best but they have it in every AutoZone, and has free 3 year replacement, and not a bad battery either..

Last edited:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Optima quality has been up and down over the years. Every optima I have owned has lasted a long time and I have no complaints. But I know several people who had bad luck. Thing is, if they were nothing but crap all the time now they would go out of business. So at some point after going downhill they must come back up.

When it comes to batteries, I find that most of the AGM style batteries are all generally pretty good overall. There's only a few manufacturers and several brands put their name on the few options. I just look for one that's in stock locally (shipping is not cheap) and see if I can get it on sale.

As far as the Aux battery, I'm not sure shelling out nearly $1,000 is worth it. It may be the best battery but I bet there's better bang for the buck. If there was an AGM in that size, I'd probably go with that.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

From what I can find (brief search) the Aux battery is a group 400. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

Here's a name brand AGM I would consider: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...bci-group-size-400-200-cca-aux14-1/12268738-P
My friends 2018 JLUR main battery crapped out 2 weeks ago. A week later the smaller axillary battery crapped out leaving him stuck and stranded no way to jump the small battery?? If there is please share a post. I will definitely replace the small battery at the same time I replace the large battery to avoid a similar situation. Am I wrong but is that small battery just for the auto start-stop feature? If so can you prolong the life by always deactivating the auto start-stop or does it make any difference? I hope they come up with small battery delete system soon so we could spend our money on one good large quality battery or possibly a true dual battery system that would fit in the engine bay or worst case scenario put the second battery battery in the back and use it as part of your Overland solar power system.🤔 Dead battery scenarios always suck but now we have two batteries to always worry about

OP
OP

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My friends 2018 JLUR main battery crapped out 2 weeks ago. A week later the smaller axillary battery crapped out leaving him stuck and stranded no way to jump the small battery?? If there is please share a post. I will definitely replace the small battery at the same time I replace the large battery to avoid a similar situation. Am I wrong but is that small battery just for the auto start-stop feature? If so can you prolong the life by always deactivating the auto start-stop or does it make any difference? I hope they come up with small battery delete system soon so we could spend our money on one good large quality battery or possibly a true dual battery system that would fit in the engine bay or worst case scenario put the second battery battery in the back and use it as part of your Overland solar power system.🤔 Dead battery scenarios always suck but now we have two batteries to always worry about
You can jump start the aux battery with the main battery. Nena Barlow did a short video on it. It usually starts it long enough for you to get off the road and to somewhere safe before the entire computer stops your ability to shift (which is common).

My aux battery crapped out in the middle of a multi day competition, to the point of no return.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Good to know, thank you
@Wrangler man
@Dagny

Do yourself a real big favor and forget you ever saw that video... I encourage others to
forget they saw that video and what it showed ....

Some of the chiitt that you see in these internet videos can get you into some real issues/ cause damage...

DO, research more about the JL's dual battery system before fooling with it lets say..

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Check this out;

https://www.genesisoffroad.com/jl-dual-battery-kit

OP
OP

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Wrangler man
@Dagny

Do yourself a real big favor and forget you ever saw that video... I encourage others to
forget they saw that video and what it showed ....

Some of the chiitt that you see in these internet videos can get you into some real issues/ cause damage...

DO, research more about the JL's dual battery system before fooling with it lets say..

Interesting. I didn't realize it would cause damage to jump it.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
If you are speaking of the factory mini onboard aux battery, I cant help you out. However if you are speaking of a more traditional use case aux battery, it is really hard to beat Lithium/LiFePO4. Actually you can't, currently. While an AGM or LA may quote the same AH, they 100% do not have the same usable energy as the equivalent sized lithium. Yes, lithium's are substantially more expensive. However they have much more usable energy(per given AH rating), can charge and discharge quicker, are substantially lighter, and have quite a bit longer lifespan. So, for me at least, its a buy once cry once scenario. I'd rather spend 1k on a single, much lighter, battery that performs equivalent to 2 250 dollar, much heavier, batteries that last about half as long.
Sponsored