diesel battery options

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Well, apparently all JL's have battery issues, thank you Jeep. We had problems with our JLU, replaced it with a JLURD. (Right now the JLU is having other JL issues - oil cooler, cam shaft, valves - about 1/2 of an engine swap). Since we got the JLURD, we then have virtually never used ESS - but still that little battery has caused headaches. Reading existing threads, there was not much of a market for the 200CCA Group 12 Aux battery as most owners were replacing under warranty. Now that we are past the warranty period on the earlier ones - was wondering if an aftermarket replacement is becoming available.

I have gone to the stealership - they want almost $500 for the pair of replacement batteries. Now that in itself is simply annoying. The fact that I will probably only get 2 years out of them is ridiculous. (I joke, they want us to drive electric vehicles and trust in the batteries, when our current vehicles have a 2 year battery life - what a joke).

Anyway, given it is now 2023 - was wondering if there are any updated best battery options or practices. Having to use an Aux charger on a daily driver can not be a best practice. That said, I guess if it is an only option, I can always wire up pigtails so at least I can reach the stupid little aux battery without pulling the main battery first. I understand a dual battery system is now available - but due to the reduced available area in the engine bay of the diesel, the second battery must be inside the Jeep - again, not really a best option. Lithium and their derivative have other issues (less max amps for winches, temp issues, etc...).
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Mine were replaced under warranty, but you should be able to replace both for ~$300. It's an easy DIY job because, unlike the gasoline engines, and as you mentioned, the Ecodiesel has a "trapdoor" under the larger battery to access the auxiliary.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Well, apparently all JL's have battery issues, thank you Jeep. We had problems with our JLU, replaced it with a JLURD. (Right now the JLU is having other JL issues - oil cooler, cam shaft, valves - about 1/2 of an engine swap). Since we got the JLURD, we then have virtually never used ESS - but still that little battery has caused headaches. Reading existing threads, there was not much of a market for the 200CCA Group 12 Aux battery as most owners were replacing under warranty. Now that we are past the warranty period on the earlier ones - was wondering if an aftermarket replacement is becoming available.

I have gone to the stealership - they want almost $500 for the pair of replacement batteries. Now that in itself is simply annoying. The fact that I will probably only get 2 years out of them is ridiculous. (I joke, they want us to drive electric vehicles and trust in the batteries, when our current vehicles have a 2 year battery life - what a joke).

Anyway, given it is now 2023 - was wondering if there are any updated best battery options or practices. Having to use an Aux charger on a daily driver can not be a best practice. That said, I guess if it is an only option, I can always wire up pigtails so at least I can reach the stupid little aux battery without pulling the main battery first. I understand a dual battery system is now available - but due to the reduced available area in the engine bay of the diesel, the second battery must be inside the Jeep - again, not really a best option. Lithium and their derivative have other issues (less max amps for winches, temp issues, etc...).
The auxiliary secondary battery on the diesel is very easy to get to. There are videos on this and other recommendations eliminating this unneeded auxiliary battery completely. I could testify this worked perfectly. I strongly recommend it. It's free you don't need to buy anything and it will rid yourself of many electronic and failing dead battery issues. Simply remove the main battery and expose the auxiliary battery by removing the access plate/lid just below the main battery. Be sure to connect the auxiliary positive and negative wires to the main battery terminals. Slight bending or boring out the existing holes maybe necessary but very simple. This eliminated the start-stop feature which is a horrible design for the diesel, and most if not all are not fans of it. So far it seems to have cured my problematic limp mode brought on by a Christmas tree of warning lights on the dash that has occurred without warning for unknown reasons. I've been forced to have the Wrangler flatbedded to the dealership. I have not had to do so yet but the service writer at my dealership told me if it happens again try just pulling the positive cable off the battery let it reset and reconnect. From my research that work around is the same as their flashing the main brain to get it out of the limp mode. As far as lithium type of batteries I've done a lot of research there don't do it too many reasons to mention fire being the worst. Just go down to Costco get a good size battery that will fit in the battery compartment and call it good 100% warrantied for 3 years. Non prorated if you get where I'm coming from. If I were to start all over it would be the very first alteration modification I would ever do on any JL or Gladiator again.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
When time to replace I always get the highest CCA battery that’ll fit the battery box on a vehicle. Never, ever will regret having MORE juice, esp with a diesel and/or a winch.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
For those recommending removing the small Auxiliary battery, how will this affect warranty?
If I take my JLR into the dealer for service--or worse, it's towed there for some unrelated electrical problem--aren't they going to blame that problem on the removal of the Aux battery?

I have my Aux disconnected for the reasons you described, but it's still in there, and easy to reconnect if I need to for a dealer visit. I'd rather have it out, but wonder if that's wise while under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
I have pulled the main battery, and dug down to the aux to charge. The main battery is a tight fit - not sure how much bigger could be wedged in that little hole. The only "spacer" is the locking wedge.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
When my aux battery went out, I skipped replacing it with another factory piece of junk.

Free junk is still junk.

I dropped by my local Advance Auto and got two replacement Die Hard AGM batteries.

Aux battery:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...bci-group-size-401-180-cca-aux12-1/12268843-P

And go with the H7 size main battery. The H6 fits but it's smaller than factory and has a lower CCA rating. The H7 is a better size for the diesel.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...m/10210826-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15000

Most auto parts stores will have something similar to these. If not in stock, they can order them for you.

If I let the Jeep sit for a while I get the ESS telling me it's charging the battery.

I hook up a battery tender to the terminals on the main battery. When it's sitting in the garage, that seems to charge up both batteries. Or at least get rid of the ESS charging indication.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
There's a thread on here where you can disable the aux battery by removing it and pulling a fuse.

When its time, I'm going to dump the aux battery and pull the fuse. (Right now using a tazer to disable the ess)

When I get ready to go for a long trip, I'll bring a Bluetti for jumping backup/additional battery

Reactions: STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
There's a thread on here where you can disable the aux battery by removing it and pulling a fuse.

When its time, I'm going to dump the aux battery and pull the fuse. (Right now using a tazer to disable the ess)

When I get ready to go for a long trip, I'll bring a Bluetti for jumping backup/additional battery
This is what I’ve done to disconnect the Aux battery, according to instructions in that thread. Pulled fuse #42(?) and took the Negative lead off. My Aux battery is still in there and I still charge it up occasionally, easy to do with the disconnected, and zip-tied out of the way, Negative lead. So it would be easy to return it to stock if I had a reason to. ESS still works fine it seems, though I usually remember to push the No-ESS button. At least this way, I don’t have two batteries cannibalizing each other and both going bad. I can just monitor the main battery (I have it on a charger at night). Rather have it out, though.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I probably got another year before I'm going to replace my batteries, however when I do I'm going to upgrade to some better quality batteries than whatever brand OEM uses.

Jeep Wrangler JL diesel battery options Screenshot_20230328-145430

DH7 for my main battery, and then probably a year later I'll be purchasing this guy for my auxiliary...
Jeep Wrangler JL diesel battery options Screenshot_20230328-145439

Honestly in Texas, the temperature kills batteries before batteries have a chance to die on their own, so really any decent battery will last you the same amount of time in Texas, but in colder climates like where I used to live in New England, good batteries will last 5 or 6 years.

At this point I just automatically replace batteries on our cars every 3 years. I learned that lesson the hard way with my Patriot.

Sponsored

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I bought a group 14 aux battery from my local dealer for ~$100. Only place in town that could get one. Replaced the main with an Interstate H7 for $240. So $340 total plus $10 in fender clips.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I probably got another year before I'm going to replace my batteries, however when I do I'm going to upgrade to some better quality batteries than whatever brand OEM uses.

DH7 for my main battery, and then probably a year later I'll be purchasing this guy for my auxiliary...

Honestly in Texas, the temperature kills batteries before batteries have a chance to die on their own, so really any decent battery will last you the same amount of time in Texas, but in colder climates like where I used to live in New England, good batteries will last 5 or 6 years.

At this point I just automatically replace batteries on our cars every 3 years. I learned that lesson the hard way with my Patriot.
For myself and what I've read many other Wrangler owners only make it slightly past 2 years. This is where you learn the catastrophe
It's a very poor engineered battery system that is the culprit. If you have an auxiliary battery you lose the ability to jumpstart your vehicle in the event of a dead battery. Being prepared as I've always been with my battery jumper and backup jumper cables did me no bit of good. But with the auxiliary battery now eliminated, in the event of a dead battery I will no longer be stranded.
Thank goodness the first time and the last time was in my own garage at home. Others haven't been so lucky. I could not even imagine being in the area of unavailable service and having this situation. FCA is aware of this and the service department has no answers on what to do. But FCA recalled a "backup camera issue" of little concern. Followed by a fuel pump with no resolution in sight just promises of second quarter resolution. About a month away now we'll see if that goes into third quarter or not.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
For myself and what I've read many other Wrangler owners only make it slightly past 2 years. This is where you learn the catastrophe
It's a very poor engineered battery system that is the culprit. If you have an auxiliary battery you lose the ability to jumpstart your vehicle in the event of a dead battery. Being prepared as I've always been with my battery jumper and backup jumper cables did me no bit of good. But with the auxiliary battery now eliminated, in the event of a dead battery I will no longer be stranded.
Thank goodness the first time and the last time was in my own garage at home. Others haven't been so lucky. I could not even imagine being in the area of unavailable service and having this situation. FCA is aware of this and the service department has no answers on what to do. But FCA recalled a "backup camera issue" of little concern. Followed by a fuel pump with no resolution in sight just promises of second quarter resolution. About a month away now we'll see if that goes into third quarter or not.
I believe I've read on here last week somewhere, that if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts, you can still jumpstart the Jeep without issue.

Also too I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I feel like if the auxiliary battery is going to drag down the main battery, I should probably just switch it up and replace the auxiliary battery before I replace the main battery.

Remember on my Patriot, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree when my battery went. It threw like 12 codes, I brought it to the shop cuz I didn't work on my own vehicles back then, and thankfully the shop I brought it to check the battery first, and sold me a replacement for like 180 bucks. Honestly if I have any electrical issues at this point I always test the battery first. For whatever reason FCA vehicles go to shit when they lose their battery charge.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I believe I've read on here last week somewhere, that if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts, you can still jumpstart the Jeep without issue.

Also too I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but I feel like if the auxiliary battery is going to drag down the main battery, I should probably just switch it up and replace the auxiliary battery before I replace the main battery.

Remember on my Patriot, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree when my battery went. It threw like 12 codes, I brought it to the shop cuz I didn't work on my own vehicles back then, and thankfully the shop I brought it to check the battery first, and sold me a replacement for like 180 bucks. Honestly if I have any electrical issues at this point I always test the battery first. For whatever reason FCA vehicles go to shit when they lose their battery charge.
"if you disconnect the auxiliary battery cables from the main batteries posts, you can still jumpstart the Jeep without issue."

Not coorrect, you CANNOT jump the battery with the auxiliary battery left in its place and connected. Thus being the main reason for eliminating the whole auxiliary battery in first place.

CodeRed

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 chevy pick up 4x4, '09 997.1 turbo MT coupe
Didnt he just say that the aux battery was to be disconnected? Trying to get a clear picture on it
Sponsored