Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Never aired down, been to outer banks beaches 12+ times. Friends and family never did either. No issues.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
then there’s usually a line a the pumps to restore the PSI to a road-going level.
You can get a decent little air compressor for <$100 from Viair and others on Amazon, you can bypass the lines.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
to be honest, the only way you are going to get to really know the abilities of your jeep and you as the driver is to try things. this is how you will learn to sense when it is getting stuck and when it will pull through.
yes, you may stick it.. but that's how you figure out what not to do.
just remember 2 things always go in your rig when you go out on the beach.... a small shovel and 2ft long piece of 2x12.
if you stick it, STOP. before your tires dig a deep hole, get out, put the board under the rig, jack on the board, jack up the truck and fill in the hole you dug. let some air out, and back up away from the pile of sand.... then give yourself a running start at the soft spot.
i keep straps to pull other guys out. i always assume no one will be there to pull me, so i plan accordingly.
at the beach, all you need is a board, a shovel, and your jack.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
You can get a decent little air compressor for <$100 from Viair and others on Amazon, you can bypass the lines.
Is that the kind you have to hard wire or the kind I can plug in to the 12V outlet?

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Is that the kind you have to hard wire or the kind I can plug in to the 12V outlet?
They have all kinds. The 12v ones will be slow, better are the ones with alligator clips to hook straight to your battery. Either way, fully removable, no wiring.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Reigniting this thread. Sounds like the OP is talking about Island Beach State Park. Just got a beach pass for 2020 for Christmas. I’ve heard about the long lines at the air pumps so Iamlooking at portable air pumps. ARB portable is pricy. Smittybilt and Viair have some nice looking alternatives. Anyone have experience with any of these? Looking at Viair 400 and 440. Smittybuilt is cheapest.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Yeah those lines are definitely long there. I found this thread while searching on the necessity to air down with stock tires to avoid those lines. Is the only way to get a beach pass at the gatehouse in person?

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Beach driving in Africa (I grew up there)... non of these vehicles were aired down. Typically run for 20+ miles to get to the good fishing spots and even on the sand dunes you see in the back. Keep the momentum and stay smooth (acceleration and turns). Jeeps are also relatively light compare to the Land Rovers. We usually just air down if you really get stuck.

Namib 2.jpg

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah those lines are definitely long there. I found this thread while searching on the necessity to air down with stock tires to avoid those lines. Is the only way to get a beach pass at the gatehouse in person?
As far as I know, yes you need to go there. I didn't see anything on the paperwork giving a web address.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Can't help you with stock tires--

I always run M&S, diff. MFG and my tires STAY AT 32/34PSI--ALL THE TIME--never let air out-

MCEFenders-1-16-15014_zpse691df41.jpg

Feb%202016%20023_zpsf0djuidr.jpg

SUNP0122_zpscfb6dxtv.jpg

I know, you can't compare M & S to A/Ts or stock JEEP tires, except KO's on RUBICON--but I never keep the stockers long enough to worry anyway !

W.E.

JIMBO

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 78 Corvette
Thanks for letting me know, see you on the beach brother
Yes you have to go there. And be prepared with everything on the list IN CASE they inspect your vehicle.

Driving your vehicle on the beach
You can drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the beach, with a valid permit, to gain access to areas of the park where you are allowed to surf fish. The permit is designed soley to allow for fishing access. Island Beach State Park issued permits do not allow you to just drive around on the beach.

thumb_drive.jpg
A three day permit is $75.00 for residents ($90 for non-residents). It is valid for 72 hours, starting from midnight of the day of purchase. The number of three day permits that are issued is limited during the summer season. Annual permits are $195.00 for residents ($225 for non-residents). They are valid for one calendar year. They are valid from January 1 and run through December 31 regardless of the date of purchase.

Along with a valid permit, if you want to drive on the beach to go fishing you are required to have the following equipment in your vehicle:

1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8) Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.

A current tide chart is highly recommended. Jumper cables for the vehicle's specific battery type are also recommended.

You can obtain additional information about beach driving permits by calling the park at (732)793-0506.

If you would like to learn more about driving a vehicle on the beach you should visit the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association website.