Sponsored

Battery isolator for factory dual battery configuration?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone thought about adding a battery isolator to the existing factory dual battery configuration? Is it possible?

Problem - the factory system does not protect each battery from the other. So, if one battery fails the other follows not far behind. This happens on a regular basis from the many posts on this forum site.

I know there are $500+ aftermarket options that completely replace both batteries and the factory battery tray. However, I was wondering if an isolator could be added to the existing batteries.

Just a thought... Appreciate your feedback.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone thought about adding a battery isolator to the existing factory dual battery configuration? Is it possible?

Problem - the factory system does not protect each battery from the other. So, if one battery fails the other follows not far behind. This happens on a regular basis from the many posts on this forum site.

I know there are $500+ aftermarket options that completely replace both batteries and the factory battery tray. However, I was wondering if an isolator could be added to the existing batteries.

Just a thought... Appreciate your feedback.
I have tested using a jumper on N1 to N2 and disconnecting the ESS negative, this removes the ESS battery from the system then once every few weeks you could reconnect the ESS negative and pull the fuse on the jumper to put ESS back into service.

OP
OP
Htfan

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have tested using a jumper on N1 to N2 and disconnecting the ESS negative, this removes the ESS battery from the system then once every few weeks you could reconnect the ESS negative and pull the fuse on the jumper to put ESS back into service.
Yes, I read the threads on this subject and your test seems like a good manual system to protect both batteries and keep them from damaging each other. I was hoping there was a way to do this with something like an isolator and not require a manual procedure of pulling a jumper fuse and/or ESS negative cable.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I read the threads on this subject and your test seems like a good manual system to protect both batteries and keep them from damaging each other. I was hoping there was a way to do this with something like an isolator and not require a manual procedure of pulling a jumper fuse and/or ESS negative cable.
Maybe something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html on the negative cable or you could replace the nut holding the ESS negative on with a properly sized wing nut and then all that would be needed is flip the switch and pop in the fuse on the jumper and you will isolate the ESS battery and then reverse it to put the ESS battery back into play but as you stated this is not optimal

OP
OP
Htfan

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html on the negative cable or you could replace the nut holding the ESS negative on with a properly sized wing nut and then all that would be needed is flip the switch and pop in the fuse on the jumper and you will isolate the ESS battery and then reverse it to put the ESS battery back into play but as you stated this is not optimal
Good idea. Something like this would be fairly simple to implement.
Sponsored