Genesis Dual Battery Mod - Any Regrets???

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hey there...

Any of you that have installed the Genesis dual battery system... do you have any regrets for doing so, or noticed any nagging problems that arose once the rig was installed?

I am about to rig my new Willys for camping and road-tripping (I won't profane "overlanding" with what I will do - yet), and will have a fridge and lights and tunes to power in the evenings.

I also don't trust the craptastic OEM mini-dork-battery setup to not fizzle on me. I am on the fence over the dual batteries or just going with a mobile power bank and leaving the OEM as is to tempt fate.

Thoughts????
Advertisement

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Hey there...

Any of you that have installed the Genesis dual battery system... do you have any regrets for doing so, or noticed any nagging problems that arose once the rig was installed?

I am about to rig my new Willys for camping and road-tripping (I won't profane "overlanding" with what I will do - yet), and will have a fridge and lights and tunes to power in the evenings.

I also don't trust the craptastic OEM mini-dork-battery setup to not fizzle on me. I am on the fence over the dual batteries or just going with a mobile power bank and leaving the OEM as is to tempt fate.

Thoughts????
I am a NOOB I wouldn’t weigh your decision much on my feedback. I heard others having isssues with the Genesis system specifcally those with the auto stop start. It seemed like a non issue BUT. I don’t think I was ready so early in the life of the vehicle to dive under the hood fearing repercussions from the dealer should I have an issue with electronics.

I am knee deep in an alternate solution. I purchased the American Adventure platform, fridge slide and under it their ARB battery compressor mount. (drops into the rear cubby) I don’t have any intentions of putting the compressor In the cubby, I have another spot in mind. I am using the extra space next to the battery for a Blue Sea electrical block, circuit breakers and a 1225D Redarc battery manager.

I intend to run a fridge, exterior lights, compressor and charging station out of the gate off it.

Last edited:

AtlanticOverland

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to get the Genisis Dual Battery Kit and have it on the list of upcoming additions but I keep pushing it back because of the issues others have reported with ESS or other issues. I have run my ARB fridge for a week, with a few start-ups every couple days, off of the battery that came with the Jeep in the charging port in the cargo area without issue. I am leaning more towards a portable charging station like a Jackery at this time.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to get the Genisis Dual Battery Kit and have it on the list of upcoming additions but I keep pushing it back because of the issues others have reported with ESS or other issues. I have run my ARB fridge for a week, with a few start-ups every couple days, off of the battery that came with the Jeep in the charging port in the cargo area without issue. I am leaning more towards a portable charging station like a Jackery at this time.
Hmmm... I seem to have missed people reporting issues specifically with the Genesis setup and ESS in all the noise of many people hating the fact the stupid system exists in the first place and seems to be finicky. But yes, that is exactly my concern - and why I'd like a little confirmation of the dual batts being OK.

I'd rather not have a power bank rolling around in the jeep (and they all have their downside sucky issues - not one seems to rise to the top as virtually perfect, in my view; Jackery's are real close, but I dislike their inconveniently bulky handle shape and can't get past that) and I am reluctant to try to tackle a house battery install with requisite separate charge controller, etc. etc. etc.

***sigh***

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a NOOB I wouldn’t weigh your decision much on my feedback. I heard others having isssues with the Genesis system specifcally those with the auto stop start. It seemed like a non issue BUT. I don’t think I was ready so early in the life of the vehicle to dive under the hood fearing repercussions from the dealer should I have an issue with electronics.
Based on your comment I went back to try some other search terms (I seem to really suck at picking any search terms regardless of search engine). I have since found a different, and quite obvious, thread that discusses your point extensively. :facepalm:

Since I dislike and disable ESS anyway, I am quite content that the thing eats itself as long as it doesn't a) damage anything; and b) doesn't stop me from driving. You have given me a new rabbit hole to investigate, so I will move on for now... still leaning to the dual, but may settle for the power bank for a shorter-term solution - though they ain't cheap either.

Eventually buying both to get to the optimal solution is a bit of a bite in the wallet!!!. However, I am hoping to salvage something of this weird year and get some camping and a CO high country trip in, so I need to pull the trigger on something!

Thanks for the inputs! :captain:

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Based on your comment I went back to try some other search terms (I seem to really suck at picking any search terms regardless of search engine). I have since found a different, and quite obvious, thread that discusses your point extensively. :facepalm:

Since I dislike and disable ESS anyway, I am quite content that the thing eats itself as long as it doesn't a) damage anything; and b) doesn't stop me from driving. You have given me a new rabbit hole to investigate, so I will move on for now... still leaning to the dual, but may settle for the power bank for a shorter-term solution - though they ain't cheap either.

Eventually buying both to get to the optimal solution is a bit of a bite in the wallet!!!. However, I am hoping to salvage something of this weird year and get some camping and a CO high country trip in, so I need to pull the trigger on something!

Thanks for the inputs! :captain:
ill send you a few photos once everything is wired up. Hopefully done in 2 weeks., I’m slow.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ill send you a few photos once everything is wired up. Hopefully done in 2 weeks., I’m slow.
Cool... thanks. In two weeks I SHOULD be in the Boundary Waters "salvaging" something of this year as desired... so if I don't reply right away I am hopefully catching walleyes!

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Here is what I did, its nearly complete. I have to wire the momentary button and add a LCD monitor soon. I contacted REDARC wanted to be able to jump start the vehicle if necessary from the AUX battery. Here is a link to their wiring diagram. https://www.redarc.com.au/wiring-diagrams/the-ultimate-dual-battery-setup

All the wires were run through the vehicle, not zip tied to the underside OR through the frame at the wheel well.

The drawer, platform and ARB compressor mount are from American Adventure Labs. The ARB compressor will go elsewhere, I used the space for the fuses, isolator and Redarc.

Lots of credit goes to others, I pieced everything together based on ideas from the community.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I do remember reading on here that there is a different wiring set up for the Genesis battery setup...... I will see if i can find it.... i liked that set up that was shown on here....

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Here is what I did, its nearly complete. I have to wire the momentary button and add a LCD monitor soon. I contacted REDARC wanted to be able to jump start the vehicle if necessary from the AUX battery. Here is a link to their wiring diagram. https://www.redarc.com.au/wiring-diagrams/the-ultimate-dual-battery-setup

All the wires were run through the vehicle, not zip tied to the underside OR through the frame at the wheel well.

The drawer, platform and ARB compressor mount are from American Adventure Labs. The ARB compressor will go elsewhere, I used the space for the fuses, isolator and Redarc.

Lots of credit goes to others, I pieced everything together based on ideas from the community.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg
Sumerian, I am doing the rear battery from AAL as well. I have a question for you...what are you using for you switch panel for the items being powered by the AUX battery. Once it leaves the ATC fuse box do you then wire to an sPOD or something?
Electrical makes no sense to me so this is going to be a learning experience.

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement