Sponsored

Genesis Dual Battery Mod - Any Regrets???

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've had my Genesis Dual Battery Kit installed in my JLUR for almost 18 months now, and can honestly say I'm not sure it's the way to go.

I do not want a secondary battery taking up mass and cube in the back. Period.

I purchased their system with two Full River AGM Group 25s, and had issues the first winter with my cranking battery. It would die after a week in the parking garage at Denver International in the cold weather. Had to get jumped almost every time. My trips were always <5 days. Genesis' response was that it was my problem, there was some issue with parasitic load in my Jeep. Interestingly my OEM battery never had this problem...

Then I installed my fridge and a dedicated circuit from the aux for the Dometic (kit purchased again from Genesis). When I did this, I also swapped positions for the two Full River Group 25s on my suspicion that I got Chinese QA'd again. Reseated my breaker panel. Did the "Big 3" upgrade. I'm at the point now where the Full River Aux batt can't even keep the Dometic powered overnight, it's a total joke.

When I'm driving and the system SHOULD be charging, it seems clear that the cranking battery is charging, then the IBS drops the voltage down below 13V, but the aux battery never seems to charge. The Dometic monitor app never shows power going to the aux batt.

I've ordered two Odessy replacement batts hoping that USA sourcing will prove superior to Chinese imports, yet again (but one of the Odessys was damaged in transit, and yet again Genesis tells me to go find a battery tester or deal with Odessy warrantee - so why buy from them?) I have little faith this will resolve my underlying issue that the aux batt just doesn't charge on their system. Genesis is quick to blame other issues, and send me on wild goose chases with troubleshooting, but plainly put, the system isn't working for me.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the ultimate package of a LifePO4 that has an operating range of -20 - +195 and has the DC charger included. Then I'll ditch the Genesis ASAP. Neither happy nor impressed with Genesis Offroad.

YMMV.
Dude just buy a bluetti. So much trouble and $$$ to be running lead acid batteries. Jeez.
Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Dude just buy a bluetti. So much trouble and $$$ to be running lead acid batteries. Jeez.
Those are nice, but they serve a different purpose than our dual battery system. That portable power pack is great if you want to move it around to different vehicles and just plug something into it temporarily. It's still just a battery in a box though, so you have to take extra steps to charge it. Also, you can't charge it at below 32 degrees, so that's an issue for some people.

Our dual battery system is obviously permanently mounted into the vehicle, which is best for hard-wired accessories like a winch, an extra fuse box / switch panel like an sPOD, and all the other stuff that you have mounted into the vehicle. Our system can also help you when your cranking battery is too low to start the engine, just press the boost button to jump start using the power in the second battery.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Those are nice, but they serve a different purpose than our dual battery system. That portable power pack is great if you want to move it around to different vehicles and just plug something into it temporarily. It's still just a battery in a box though, so you have to take extra steps to charge it. Also, you can't charge it at below 32 degrees, so that's an issue for some people.

Our dual battery system is obviously permanently mounted into the vehicle, which is best for hard-wired accessories like a winch, an extra fuse box / switch panel like an sPOD, and all the other stuff that you have mounted into the vehicle. Our system can also help you when your cranking battery is too low to start the engine, just press the boost button to jump start using the power in the second battery.
Yes you are right. Very different. But he was having issues keeping a fridge going. But you are absolutely right many benefits from the genesis system you cant even compare it with a bluetti. My bad.

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes you are right. Very different. But he was having issues keeping a fridge going. But you are absolutely right many benefits from the genesis system you cant even compare it with a bluetti. My bad.
I also stated that one of my requirements was not having anything taking up extra cube and mass anywhere in the cabin.

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
On my JL, I used the driver's seat heater fuse, just because it was an easy location for the fuse tap. Some vehicles may not have seat heaters, no big deal, just take a look at the legend on the fuse box cover and find any fuse that is only hot when the ignition is on, like power windows, radio, etc.
Installed the new Gen 3 Hub on my JLUR yesterday and tapped the fuse box right where you suggested. So far it really looks like this will resolve my issues with the Genesis Offroad Dual Battery System. Only wish Gen 3 came out when I originally purchased the system...

So far, when I ops checked after installation, within 30 seconds of starting you can hear the relay snap both batts together and the switch backlight turns on. After shutdown, after a few minutes, you can hear the relay snap to separate the batts. Exactly the way I had hoped.

What I haven't ops checked yet is to actually turn on the Driver's seat heater and see if that impacts anything, and also connect my 240W solar panel on the aux bus to make sure the aux batt charges first (it should, but want to confirm the logic is performing as anticipated.)

The only other issue is now my fuse cover will not seat properly with the tap in place. I've tried several ways, but it looks like I'm going to have to notch the box with a Dremel.

I'm very optimistic that this new version has resolved my issues with the system.

Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Installed the new Gen 3 Hub on my JLUR yesterday and tapped the fuse box right where you suggested. So far it really looks like this will resolve my issues with the Genesis Offroad Dual Battery System. Only wish Gen 3 came out when I originally purchased the system...

So far, when I ops checked after installation, within 30 seconds of starting you can hear the relay snap both batts together and the switch backlight turns on. After shutdown, after a few minutes, you can hear the relay snap to separate the batts. Exactly the way I had hoped.

What I haven't ops checked yet is to actually turn on the Driver's seat heater and see if that impacts anything, and also connect my 240W solar panel on the aux bus to make sure the aux batt charges first (it should, but want to confirm the logic is performing as anticipated.)

The only other issue is now my fuse cover will not seat properly with the tap in place. I've tried several ways, but it looks like I'm going to have to notch the box with a Dremel.

I'm very optimistic that this new version has resolved my issues with the system.

That's great to hear, thank you for the feedback!

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I installed the Genesis dual battery system with two full river batteries in my JLR and have no issues. I also purchased the battery charger recommended by Shane and charged them as suggested prior to installation. The batteries came and were only 50 to 60 percent charged. I understand this is a normal occurrence. I followed all of the instructions on Shanes video and everything has been working and I couldn't be more satisfied. I believe that problems may arise if install instructions are not followed and you do not fully charge and condition the batteries. I do not run a fridge and lots of electrical add ons as some do. I do wish the Gen 3 had been out when I got my system but, I might switch later for the hell of it.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
I love my Genesis setup in my 4XE. I too put the new batteries on a charger while I was doing the install to make sure they were "topped off". You have to do an extra step or two on the 4XE's that's a bit of a pain in the ass - we have an additional part underneath the battery tray and you have to fab up a little piece of metal to keep it in the same spot.

I have a winch, lights, and a fridge, and don't worry about not having power to start the vehicle. For me, it was a massive piece of mind. Yes, it isn't cheap, but it does what I want it to.
Sponsored