Sponsored

Basic Speaker upgrade

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
If I had to do mine over I would devote all of my resources to the front sound stage and not bothered with the roll bar speakers. I upgraded the fronts to a 6.5 component setup and adding an amp completely overshadowed the upgraded roll bar speakers in mine.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I installed Infinity speakers in the dash, and am well-pleased with the improvement in sound quality.

There's nothing wrong with the Uconnect 3, either. ;)
I tried those Infinity speakers first, and I found them to be so harsh and bright that they made my ears hurt. I had to take them out, just couldn't take the harshness. They were painful to listen to for any length of time - even with the treble dialed way back and the fader towards the rear.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I am also looking into upgrading my audio system as I have the same as yours.. the basic, sad little 5'' unit...

Here are a couple 3.5'' speaker options with good reviews...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084HL6DW...olid=2FUATVVTIXPSD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Those Kicker's are what I went with in the dash after having the Infinity speakers first and finding them way too harsh.

I also put 600Hz bass blockers on them, so I don't get any clipping. They made the sound a lot better IMHO.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Crap... as I was playing today with my audio system .. I realized that the front right channel is dead.. I disassembled the dash and got to the 5'' unit and tested directly from the connector.. nada.. the output is dead....

Gunny... please check that all your channels are working by using the balance feature before you commit to upgrades.. who knows.. perhaps you have burnt channels and you don't know? I certainly did not know about the right front channel being blown at the 5'' head unit output.. bummer!..

Anybody wanting to get rid of their 5'' unit? LOL

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I bought the Kicker CS series for mine, I was not wanting to spend a lot of money on them and figured most anything is better than stock! Have not installed yet. The hardest part was getting the Tetra harnesses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSDKVW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NS9FVKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I finally found the harnesses and plan to install soon. I found these from youtube replacement and the guy seemed really happy with them over stock and good budget speakers.
Just curious @Scott.B do you still have these speakers? And if so how are you liking them so far after 2 years?

I get Amazon gift cards from work about once a month, and have been wanting to do some speaker upgrades on the cheap!

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Just curious @Scott.B do you still have these speakers? And if so how are you liking them so far after 2 years?

I get Amazon gift cards from work about once a month, and have been wanting to do some speaker upgrades on the cheap!
I never did install them. I keep threatening to but honestly the factory system is louder than I really care for these days. When I bought them I had the 2020 with the standard audio system which was ass.

I still have them under the back seat!

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I never did install them. I keep threatening to but honestly the factory system is louder than I really care for these days. When I bought them I had the 2020 with the standard audio system which was ass.

I still have them under the back seat!
Against what probably should have been better judgment, I decided to go through with it in order the sound bar speakers you recommended in your previous post. They should arrive tomorrow. Had a $50 Amazon gift card, so I got the two speakers with the wiring plugs for like $22 out of pocket.

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic Speaker upgrade Screenshot_20230819-193826-367

I should get another $50 gift card from my company (for safety) next month, and then I'll order the dash speakers.

For sure I will be installing these ones (in the photo above) on Friday, since I took off of work to install Jeep parts. Priorities! 🤪

Deleted member 59498

Against what probably should have been better judgment, I decided to go through with it in order the sound bar speakers you recommended in your previous post. They should arrive tomorrow. Had a $50 Amazon gift card, so I got the two speakers with the wiring plugs for like $22 out of pocket.

Screenshot_20230819-193826-367.png

I should get another $50 gift card from my company (for safety) next month, and then I'll order the dash speakers.

For sure I will be installing these ones (in the photo above) on Friday, since I took off of work to install Jeep parts. Priorities! 🤪
Cool, they are affordable and compared to the basic speakers in the wrangler they are like professional grade! :LOL:

Jeep cheap asses when it comes to speakers.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are all JL's the same for fitment? '19 2 door with the Alpine Audio "upgrade" which is garbage with the 8.5 display. A lot of conflicting information. For the sound bar mids, what am I looking for?

I originally thought,

Pair KICKER 46CSC44 4" 300 Watt 4-Ohm 2-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers CSC44 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NS9FVKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
needing this,

Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-651...TEVM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Seems that Crutchfield is saying modifications have to be made.

Does the protective grills mount back up?

I saw it posted these were plug in play, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008I2UYP...BH8XHVH5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews not sure if that is 1 or 2. Anyone try these over the Alpine?
Sponsored