Base System Speaker Upgrade

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So I got the replacement Kickers and finally got them installed. I did retain my bass blockers in addition to their crossover. I think they sound a lot better than the Infinity speakers. Not nearly as bright and harsh on the high end. Of course speakers are subjective but it was immediately apparent to me that the high-end harshness/brightness was much reduced with the Kickers.

I stumbled across this video on YouTube comparing the two, and you can clearly hear how much brighter and harsher the Inifinity's are even on a cell phone video.

Anyway, I've not given them a ton of time yet, but I think these Kickers are going to work out for me now. Just have to send the broken pair back now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
So I got the replacement Kickers and finally got them installed. I did retain my bass blockers in addition to their crossover. I think they sound a lot better than the Infinity speakers. Not nearly as bright and harsh on the high end. Of course speakers are subjective but it was immediately apparent to me that the high-end harshness/brightness was much reduced with the Kickers.

I stumbled across this video on YouTube comparing the two, and you can clearly hear how much brighter and harsher the Inifinity's are even on a cell phone video.

Anyway, I've not given them a ton of time yet, but I think these Kickers are going to work out for me now. Just have to send the broken pair back now.
Thanks for the update, glad you got your system sorted, at least for now. I see that the Kickers use an actual crossover circuit that separates the frequencies sent to the tweeter and the speaker. That might explain the difference in the sound. Another thing I noticed is that they have a minimum RMS Wattage requirement of 15. I usually avoid using speakers with minimum wattage requirements on un-amplified systems, so it's good to hear they are working for you.

Concreterhino

First Name
Brant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLUS
Do I need a amp to replace the 4 tweeters with jbl 2 ways 75watt 2.5ohm?

New Jeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
My speaker upgrade journey started right after taking possession of my new 2018 JLU with the 5" base system. My goal was to get a quality sounding system without adding an amp or sub woofer. I avoided modifying the sound bar as long as possible, but success was finally achieved with Infinity Kappa 62ix 6.5" speakers in the sound bar and JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters in the upper dash. Following is some of what I learned along the way.

Unlike the amplified system that powers each speaker individually, the base system powers each corner's 3.5" and 4" speakers as a pair, in parallel. Changing one of the pair can affect the other. For example, Infinity 3032s have lower impedance than the factory 4" speakers and when paired, a larger percentage of their shared power will go to the 3032s. But with the 3032's base blocking capacitors blocking the lower frequencies, all the low frequency power will go to the factory 4" speakers.

I found that with all four 3.5" speakers replaced with base blocked 3032's, there is a noticeable lower frequency contribution from the factory 4" speakers. But the system still needed more bass. After running this setup for a couple years, I finally did the 6.5" speaker sound bar modification using Infinity Kappa 62ix 6.5" speakers. The 62ix sound great, especially after adjusting the fader +2 to the rear to get more sound out of them.

With 62ixs in the sound bar now providing the majority of the sound output, the last change was to swap out the dash 3032s that tend to over power the lower dash 4" speakers. I replaced them with JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters. The tweeter's higher impedance and higher frequency range allow more lower frequency power to get to the factory 4" speakers and there is a very good balance between the pair, and this front pair is well balanced with the sound bar.

Some additional tips are;
Swap the Metra adapter wires so they don't reverse the polarity of the speakers.
When the upper dash speakers are upgraded, they will very likely overpower the rest of the system and setting the fader +2 to the rear helps rebalance the system.
Stuffing poly fill under the upper dash speaker improves sound and helps with left - right speaker isolation.
What adapter did you use to install the jl audio tweeters in the dash? Thx!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

New Jeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
Originally I used what Crutchfield calls universal back straps. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120BKSTRAP/Universal-Back-Strap.html
Later I went back and gutted the factory speaker and mounted the tweeters in the metal frame.
Jeep Wrangler JL Base System Speaker Upgrade tweeter mounts
Thx! Do you still have the jl audio tweeters in dash, original knee panel speakers, and 6.5" speakers in sound bar? I'm thinking of doing that but saw u did it and am wondering your current thoughts now that you've had it for a while. And you are running base stereo, not alpine correct? Thx again!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thx! Do you still have the jl audio tweeters in dash, original knee panel speakers, and 6.5" speakers in sound bar? I'm thinking of doing that but saw u did it and am wondering your current thoughts now that you've had it for a while. And you are running base stereo, not alpine correct? Thx again!
Still running that setup and it is the base stereo, not Alpine. Still sounds great and plays as louds as I need.

sciotola88

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Ecodiesel and 2020 JTR
Occupation
Underwriter
If you are using Metra adapters, did you reverse the wires? Mine 3032s sounded harsh when I first installed them, then I found that the Metra adapters reversed the polarity. Once I fixed the adapters and with treble -2 and bass +2, they sounded great, but it took Infinity Kappa 62ix 6.5" speakers in the sound bar to finally get enough base.
Sorry for my speaker ignorance but can you help me find these Metra adapters you're referring to? I'm assuming these aren't the basic harness adapters... thanks!

Sponsored

DocHolliday

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door
My speaker upgrade journey started right after taking possession of my new 2018 JLU with the 5" base system. My goal was to get a quality sounding system without adding an amp or sub woofer. I avoided modifying the sound bar as long as possible, but success was finally achieved with Infinity Kappa 62ix 6.5" speakers in the sound bar and JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters in the upper dash. Following is some of what I learned along the way.

Unlike the amplified system that powers each speaker individually, the base system powers each corner's 3.5" and 4" speakers as a pair, in parallel. Changing one of the pair can affect the other. For example, Infinity 3032s have lower impedance than the factory 4" speakers and when paired, a larger percentage of their shared power will go to the 3032s. But with the 3032's base blocking capacitors blocking the lower frequencies, all the low frequency power will go to the factory 4" speakers.

I found that with all four 3.5" speakers replaced with base blocked 3032's, there is a noticeable lower frequency contribution from the factory 4" speakers. But the system still needed more bass. After running this setup for a couple years, I finally did the 6.5" speaker sound bar modification using Infinity Kappa 62ix 6.5" speakers. The 62ix sound great, especially after adjusting the fader +2 to the rear to get more sound out of them.

With 62ixs in the sound bar now providing the majority of the sound output, the last change was to swap out the dash 3032s that tend to over power the lower dash 4" speakers. I replaced them with JL Audio C1-075ct tweeters. The tweeter's higher impedance and higher frequency range allow more lower frequency power to get to the factory 4" speakers and there is a very good balance between the pair, and this front pair is well balanced with the sound bar.

Some additional tips are;
Swap the Metra adapter wires so they don't reverse the polarity of the speakers.
When the upper dash speakers are upgraded, they will very likely overpower the rest of the system and setting the fader +2 to the rear helps rebalance the system.
Stuffing poly fill under the upper dash speaker improves sound and helps with left - right speaker isolation.
Did you have any problems getting the Kappas to fit in the roll bar? Crutch field is saying they won’t fit. Thanks for the info in advance.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have any problems getting the Kappas to fit in the roll bar? Crutch field is saying they won’t fit. Thanks for the info in advance.
The Kappas have a large frame, but I don't remember having any problems getting them to fit in the JL or the JT. The speaker grills are a friction fit and occasionally fall out. When they do, I give them a tweak to increase the tension.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still running this setup and it still sounds great. I see Crutchfield has the tweeters on sale and now are including mounting brackets.
Jeep Wrangler JL Base System Speaker Upgrade 1659722179496

Processing

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you have to bridge wires when installing the 6.5’s in the sound bar? Asking because I saw it mentioned in another thread you commented on. Thanks!

Processing

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Also, did what did you do with the stock 3.5’s in the sound bar? Remove them? Leave them in? Thanks
Sponsored