Bad battery already??

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I’ve been having to jumpstart my car almost daily the past few weeks. 2019 JL wrangler MOAB. 48,000 miles. Battery should last way longer than 2.5 years.
Autozone did a battery test and it said 85% charged, but bad battery. Oreilly also showed it’s a bad battery.

I’ve Been advised that there might be something draining the battery.
If I get the battery replaced, is there a high chance I’m going to run into this same issue? Or will a new battery solve it all?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It happens, unfortunately. No guarantee it'll happen again and you won't know if something's draining without doing a test for that.

I'd replace the battery (with a solid aftermarket one) and if you're still concerned, run a parasitic draw test (properly) and go from there. Any mods that wire in?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@guarnibl

Just spoke with the OP on the telephone... He has no Aux battery negative cable going to the Neg. battery terminal and he has a 48 volt battery mounted on the underside of his JLU.

This tells me he has eTorque.... and a Main battery and the 48 volt battery.

The OP, is the 3rd guy this week that I talked to that did not know he had eTorque on his 2019...

I’ll gladly delete my posts if I’m wrong but I had a late model 19 and the 3.6 e torque was not an engine choice when I ordered from the factory. Is it possible they were just including it then by default and not as an option ?

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Bought my 2019 JLU, in January 2020, 3.6 with ESS. I haven't had any trouble with the batteries, but I do turn off ESS.
I hate ESS and the two batteries system. I am glad I bought a extended warranty, after reading your post.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@guarnibl

Just spoke with the OP on the telephone... He has no Aux battery negative cable going to the Neg. battery terminal on his Main battery and he does have a 48 volt battery mounted on the underside of his JLU.

This tells me he has eTorque.... (Main battery and the 48 volt battery)
The OP, is the 3rd guy this week that I talked to that did not know he had eTorque on his 2019...

As I mentioned earlier, in troubleshooting / addressing a battery(s) related issues you need to know if you have eTorque or not..

It sounds like the etorque was included with 3.6 auto (sans if manual was chosen) starting at some point in 2019 but it became an engine choice itself in 2020. So strange. I deleted my prior post.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Replace the battery with one that isn’t from Mopar. They are junk.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If you live in a hot location, your Jeep battery may have experienced three summers…and heat is tough on batteries.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Mopar batteries are junk, get a high quality aftermarket one and call it a day. I have 3 Mopar's different years and models and all 3 needed batteries between 2 and 3 years.

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
It may be your the small secondary starter battery. I had the same issue last year on my '18. The main battery was fine, replaced the little guy and all is good.

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Bought my 2019 JLU, in January 2020, 3.6 with ESS. I haven't had any trouble with the batteries, but I do turn off ESS.
I hate ESS and the two batteries system. I am glad I bought a extended warranty, after reading your post.
I have the JEEP Maximum care extended warranty for my 2020 JL, and I have 58,000 miles on my vehicle. I brought it in for an ESS issue, and they pointed the issue back to the both main and auxiliary batteries. Dealership told me warranty doesn’t cover batteries failure. I took a loss on the ridiculously expensive diagnostic fee.

Gabriela1179

First Name
Gabriela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sport 2.0 I4 Turbo Engine
I have the JEEP Maximum care extended warranty for my 2020 JL, and I have 58,000 miles on my vehicle. I brought it in for an ESS issue, and they pointed the issue back to the both main and auxiliary batteries. Dealership told me warranty doesn’t cover batteries failure. I took a loss on the ridiculously expensive diagnostic fee.
Every time I turn the car on, this message pops up: "Aux switches Temporarily Unavailable Battery Charging" and the auto stop/start stopped working and when I turn on the wipers on the highest settings the audio screen display light goes all dark.
Did something like this happen to you?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Every time I turn the car on, this message pops up: "Aux switches Temporarily Unavailable Battery Charging" and the auto stop/start stopped working and when I turn on the wipers on the highest settings the audio screen display light goes all dark.
Did something like this happen to you?
Following.... As I got the same Aux switches.... message a few days ago. I have a 21 JLUR with only 21000 miles. Purchased new in April of 21.

Gabriela1179

First Name
Gabriela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sport 2.0 I4 Turbo Engine
Following.... As I got the same Aux switches.... message a few days ago. I have a 21 JLUR with only 21000 miles. Purchased new in April of 21.
Mine is also 2021 but just a JL Sport with 28k miles...I'm supposed to drop it off at the dealership so they can give me a proper diagnostic and work on it.
I'm still under warranty until Sep this year. I hope they can fix it under warranty and not charge me. I'll keep you updated just in case. Not sure if this is because of the extra battery my car has?
Sponsored