Sponsored

Axle seal leaking again, possible causes?

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Got my Jeep back today after the entire front assembly was replaced and passenger side leaking as soon as I got home. Will go back tomorrow and see about Chrysler buying it back. This is ridiculous. The "new" assembly looks like a re-conditioned part as there are runs in the black paint. I'm sure part of the problem is also the dealership mechanics are not very good. I'm sure this will be a painful process but this will be the last time I buy a Jeep. I've bought 2 new Jeeps 20 years apart and they were both junk.
sorry to hear that.
Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Sounds like a mechanic issue honestly. Knock on wood, Ive drive 200 miles and no leaking again. Replacing the whole front should handle it. It’s a simple component and to have the jeep bought back because of that is 100% the dealerso fault I’d think

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, I’ve put 250 miles on the jeep over the past 2 weeks since the axle seal was done. No leaks. I wonder when I can stop checking and relax

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So.....may 15th bought a new JL, 12 days later 495 miles and the right front axle seal was dumping, 15 days later we get it back, only to have it leak again, this time creating a case # with Jeep, tomorrow will be 30 business days total and we still haven't received it back from the 2nd time in, they have had the Jeep for almost 50% of the time we have owned it, tomorrow I will be filing for lemon law, hopefully they figure this stuff out for the future of Jeep! Definitely looks like we aren't alone with this issue.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So.....may 15th bought a new JL, 12 days later 495 miles and the right front axle seal was dumping, 15 days later we get it back, only to have it leak again, this time creating a case # with Jeep, tomorrow will be 30 business days total and we still haven't received it back from the 2nd time in, they have had the Jeep for almost 50% of the time we have owned it, tomorrow I will be filing for lemon law, hopefully they figure this stuff out for the future of Jeep! Definitely looks like we aren't alone with this issue.
That’s terrible. At least when mine leaked They got the part overnight and had it back to me the next afternoon. When they pull it apart and just sit on your jeep for weeks awaiting parts its a little ridiculous.

Sponsored

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
So the latest with me is that I have been assigned a case manager from Chrysler and they are going to attempt another fix. They are going to replace essentially the entire front end: assembly, knuckles, struts, suspension. The Chrysler engineer thinks that a possible mis-alignment is causing the leaking. The parts are on back order with no idea when they will come in. The dealer has given me a loaner to drive and is letting me keep my Jeep in my garage till the parts arrive. I will give them credit; the dealer and Jeep are trying to fix the problem. I figure if this doesn't work some sort of buy back will occur. If it does work I will insist on a free extended warranty for my trouble. I will keep you posted.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the latest with me is that I have been assigned a case manager from Chrysler and they are going to attempt another fix. They are going to replace essentially the entire front end: assembly, knuckles, struts, suspension. The Chrysler engineer thinks that a possible mis-alignment is causing the leaking. The parts are on back order with no idea when they will come in. The dealer has given me a loaner to drive and is letting me keep my Jeep in my garage till the parts arrive. I will give them credit; the dealer and Jeep are trying to fix the problem. I figure if this doesn't work some sort of buy back will occur. If it does work I will insist on a free extended warranty for my trouble. I will keep you posted.
How many miles do you put on before the leaks start again? I have done 400 Miles since the fix and still No leaks. I kinda want to stop checking, but given this thread I am semi obsessed. Covid and work from home is really limiting my driving.

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Jeep still in since July 23rd, parts that arrived for repair are the bearing, seal, guide and axle. Apparently the problem is a completely missing bearing from the factory, per the case manager. None the less I have initiated the buy back process and I am hoping for full cooperation, if not then I suppose I lawyer up. So far the dealership has had it a total of 44 days as of today since original purchase of 5/15/20....you do the math

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
The left rear axle seal started leaking on my wife's 2020 Recon recently. I discovered it when doing a tire rotation. Made an appointment and dropped it off at the dealer yesterday.

They called me this morning and said in addition to replacing the seals they found some more related parts they need to replace and it might be up to a week before they get the parts and have everything back together.

Jeep is less than 4 months in service and 5,000 miles. It has never been driven off-road. No idea what may have caused it to fail but hopefully the repair will take care of it. Free loaner vehicle in the meantime that I will be getting on my way home from work this afternoon.

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The left rear axle seal started leaking on my wife's 2020 Recon recently. I discovered it when doing a tire rotation. Made an appointment and dropped it off at the dealer yesterday.

They called me this morning and said in addition to replacing the seals they found some more related parts they need to replace and it might be up to a week before they get the parts and have everything back together.

Jeep is less than 4 months in service and 5,000 miles. It has never been driven off-road. No idea what may have caused it to fail but hopefully the repair will take care of it. Free loaner vehicle in the meantime that I will be getting on my way home from work this afternoon.
Please make sure you get detailed documentation of repairs, milage, and accurate dates. Also ask lots of questions and don't hesitate to start a case with the manufacturer.

Sponsored

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Got the Jeep back last night. They had to order the part and it came the next day. They only replaced the passenger axle seal in mine. Not any of the shafts. hopefully it Will be all good, but worst case if it leaks again, they’ll replace more parts i would Imagine. Put 30 miles on it last night and no Leaks yet, but I’d imagine it would take a little more than that To be sure.
Keep checking it daily, I was told mine was completely missing a bearing from the manufacturer, and steering caused abnormal movement in the axle which then leads to the leak

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So....heard from Jeep ( the manufacturer) and they denied a buy back, wife no longer feels safe with accepting that vehicle back so it's either a lawyer, or a different product completely, we'll see if they agree to a GC Trailhawk or not, if not I'm pretty sure paying my legal fees will cost them more in the long run....

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
How many miles do you put on before the leaks start again? I have done 400 Miles since the fix and still No leaks. I kinda want to stop checking, but given this thread I am semi obsessed. Covid and work from home is really limiting my driving.
Mine never stopped leaking. By time I would get home from the dealer it was leaking.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine never stopped leaking. By time I would get home from the dealer it was leaking.
ahh, ok got it. That sucks. I put a good deal of miles and stress on the Jeep yesterday. Drove 2hours north to Hunter Mountain and wheeled it for 7 hours and then drove 2 hours home. Now 700 miles since the fix and no leak. So in the hands of the right tech, it clearly is possible to fix. Maybe try different dealers or something?
Sponsored