Sponsored

How does axle shaft seal (inner axle seal) work?

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious because yesterday I pulled out my axle shaft while changing the ball joints.

How come when I pull out the axle shaft, there is no oil leaking out from the axle tube? Is there a seal in the differential preventing gear oil to flow out?
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious because yesterday I pulled out my axle shaft while changing the ball joints.

How come when I pull out the axle shaft, there is no oil leaking out from the axle tube? Is there a seal in the differential preventing gear oil to flow out?
Yes, right at the end of the tube into the housing. I reccomed putting a litte grease or oil around the end of the shaft when sliding it back in so the splines slide easier over the seals and dont catch on it

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Also oil will leak, when i pull shafts i do one side at a time if i can and tilt the axle the other way so oil doesnt come out the tube

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Also oil will leak, when i pull shafts i do one side at a time if i can and tilt the axle the other way so oil doesnt come out the tube
Sounds like it is better doing this while changing gear oil.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it is better doing this while changing gear oil.
It doesnt hurt to do at all that way. Specially if the inside of your tubes dirty or muddy and the end of the shaft grabs some of it before it makes it all the way down there, but usually not a problem. I tend to just tilt it a tiny bit like i said and run my shop vac hose down the tube to get any loose dirt or whatever, just as a precaution
Sponsored