Aux switches not available...

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
When I went out and started the Jeep this morning, a quick message came across for just a couple of seconds that said : "Auxiliary switches not available while battery charging." Or something very close to that. I have no idea why a battery would be low/charging first thing. Did nothing yesterday that would have caused a battery to be low.

Anyone else seen this?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are... your batteries need replacing.

Once the batteries start to go, you get all sorts of miscellaneous warnings, error codes and electrical glitches.

Leading to my replacing the batteries, over a span of 2-3 weeks I got:
  1. Park lines disappeared and reappeared on the backup camera, twice
  2. CEL came on; next day went away on its own
  3. Lost all audio, including phone; returned on its own the following day
  4. Twice backing up, the Selec-Trac shifted out of Auto and into Part-Time mode, even though the lever was still in Auto
  5. Low Tire Pressure warning light came on; stayed for couple days
  6. Head unit rebooted out of the blue a couple times
  7. ESS unavailable message
  8. Speakers crackled loudly upon starting the engine
Haven’t had any more issues since I replaced both batteries.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Archie PJ

Message that can be displayed even when both batteries are healthy.... the message displays when system is not happy with charge levels.

With some driving time, Aux will again become available. IF, if this message happens often, then there is a good chance you are not driving the JL enough and the batteries are not having proper opportunity to charge up properly....

Of course, if the message appears over and over and you are also seeing other battery related hiccups then your battery(s) may be iffy/bad.

If this issue persists have dealer "Load Test" both, again both batteries.

Ask to talk to the Service Manager (not Service Writer) . Politely ask Service Manager to provide you with copies of BOTH load test print outs..

You want to do this to assure the Tech actually does load test both and not, not do both and say he did.... which is common/happens..

OP
OP
Archie PJ

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Update:
I had an appointment completed by a dealer to resolve why I was getting the "Auxiliary Switches not available, battery charging" message. I had been getting this message at every start. I had been getting conflicting opinions (here, dealers and elsewhere) as to whether my 2.0 turbo 2020 JLU Sahara even had 2 batteries.

According to this dealer, if the Wrangler has the second/aux battery, the load and charging tests can take up to 6 hours, instead of 3 hours, using whatever device/method FCA has for that test. And....about 6 hours after I drop it off, the determination was that the main battery was bad and it was replaced under warranty. Apparently, it does have the 2nd battery which tested good. Anyway, I no longer get that warning message.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I had the same issue with my 2019 Rubicon last year. The dealership replaced the battery…problem solved.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In every recent thread that I've read on the subject of wonky electrics, where the hapless owner circled back to mention the resolution, the culprit has been a failing battery...exactly as the membership suggested to him prior to his Jeep being examined by the dealer.

Perhaps this subject should have a dedicated sticky thread.
Sponsored