Sponsored

Audio system issue - cutting in and out

RIC3BOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Hmmm @watupdude1 that is very very interesting... please keep us updated on the success of the new camera.

@eugene and @RIC3BOY what do you think of this fix???
I'll observe for now to see if this resolves the issue for him.

What gets me though, is that there is existing TSBs out there specifically outlining "audio cutting in/out during memory recall". The fix was a software update. I just think FCA is being slow to release a software update specifically for trucks with the built-in modems. As we already know, the updates can only be applied via OTA. The TSBs I posted (below) are only for the trucks without the built-in modems, and are applied via USB.

Someone posted the latest TSB (08-003-19, January 12 2019) just now - https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...letins-recalls-ram-1500.775/page-4#post-88307

And also from my previous post, TSB (08-091-18 REV C) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvko1eeesqajou5/Radio and Back-up Camera Enhancements.pdf?dl=0

Really, I would wait until FCA does an OTA update.

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
I'll observe for now to see if this resolves the issue for him.

What gets me though, is that there is existing TSBs out there specifically outlining "audio cutting in/out during memory recall". The fix was a software update. I just think FCA is being slow to release a software update specifically for trucks with the built-in modems. As we already know, the updates can only be applied via OTA. The TSBs I posted (below) are only for the trucks without the built-in modems, and are applied via USB.

Someone posted the latest TSB (08-003-19, January 12 2019) just now - https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...letins-recalls-ram-1500.775/page-4#post-88307

And also from my previous post, TSB (08-091-18 REV C) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvko1eeesqajou5/Radio and Back-up Camera Enhancements.pdf?dl=0

Really, I would wait until FCA does an OTA update.
I agree 100%... waiting game is the best play right now.

Family cheered tonight on way to dinner backing out of the garage we saw backup lines and new we could turn up the volume and rock out.

Out of 12 starts today (some remote with key fob and iPhone app) tonight was the only time it worked.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have had same issue with the radio cutting in and out and the backup lines disappearing since thanksgiving. I do have 8.4in touch screen. My dealership did replace the radio back in December which did not work.They escalated the issue to FCA engineers and they told them to replace the camera. I got the camera replaced on January 17th and my radio has been working since. It has been cold in Chicago for the last week, even below zero and it is still working. Just wanted to let others know what has worked for me so far. Still not sure if it is going to last though.
Any reason why they said replace the camera. If you make it more than 2 weeks without the issue I’ll consider this.

Had the issue occur today again.

Trailhead Girl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Hey Trailhead - congrats on the new radio... is everything working well still? I hope so.

Was curious if your unit has a different software version from the rest of us having the issue? Is there anyway to take a picture of the software version and post it for us to compare?
3 weeks in and I was very optimistic. It did it again. I don't understand why Jeep is authorizing radio replacement when clearly that isn't the answer. They must fix what's wrong, software or hardware, not simply put in another faulty unit.

I've gone from angry to frustrated to just plain saddened.

Sponsored

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
3 weeks in and I was very optimistic. It did it again. I don't understand why Jeep is authorizing radio replacement when clearly that isn't the answer. They must fix what's wrong, software or hardware, not simply put in another faulty unit.

I've gone from angry to frustrated to just plain saddened.
Total bummer... very very sorry. So it’s either some really screwed up software issue that FCA still can’t 100% figure out how to send OTA or now another possibility is a faulty rear camera??

@eugene and @RIC3BOY I was thinking... this is easier for us Ric in the Jeep but what if we disconnected the camera for a few days? If the camera is faulty like with @watupdude1 could we just remove it/unplug it and not have it effect the radio?

Brent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Ford F150, 2010 Camaro RS, 2008 Mazda MX5
Hmmm @watupdude1 that is very very interesting... please keep us updated on the success of the new camera.

@eugene and @RIC3BOY what do you think of this fix???
I really haven't noticed the backup lines not being there when the radio issue acts up but I will note that in the future. I did pick up my Wrangler today (Saturday, after 4 days in the shop) even though the dealership wanted to keep it. We are scheduled for maybe 10 inches of snow and winds, and I did not want to be stuck with a small FWD subcompact loaner. So after the weather clears, I'll need to take it back to the dealer.

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
I really haven't noticed the backup lines not being there when the radio issue acts up but I will note that in the future. I did pick up my Wrangler today (Saturday, after 4 days in the shop) even though the dealership wanted to keep it. We are scheduled for maybe 10 inches of snow and winds, and I did not want to be stuck with a small FWD subcompact loaner. So after the weather clears, I'll need to take it back to the dealer.
Brent -

Under settings in camera if you have the adaptive back up guide lines on they will disappear when the issue is occurring.

Since I drive with my volume all the way down it's a great way to know quickly when backing up if your stereo is back to working... if you see the lines you know the issue has gone away. Then I turn up the volume until the issue comes back.

watupdude1

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any reason why they said replace the camera. If you make it more than 2 weeks without the issue I’ll consider this.

Had the issue occur today again.
After they replaced the radio they scanned the vechice and found a code that said that the radio was not communicating with something else and that info was sent to FCA. When the tech told me they wanted to change the camera, they didn't give a reason. My tech told me he thought is was Bs to change to the camera amd he believes that it is more of a software issue. He also told me if the issue happens again they will probaly change the amp next.

jstepy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X 4xe
Well I ran into another random JLUR owner today in a parking a lot and inquired politely if he has had any issues. He said that his stereo has been working fine in terms of audio but he has noticed his Rear View Camera Backup lines disappearing occasionally. He confirmed that his audio worked fine though all the time...

Sponsored

Gulo gulo

First Name
Gulo gulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Apologies for the delay in replying.
My local Jeep dealer advises that the referenced Bulletin (TSB 08-003-19) addresses 2019 model vehicles. Mine is a 2018.
The radio software version I have is 18.23.29
Side note - amplifier replaced, Jeep “handler” for my case followed up to see if problem resolved.
Problem not resolved. Radio replaced. Problem returned the next day. Jeep “handler” in deep radio silence. No word from anyone regarding a next step, or resolution to the problem.
#watupdude1 - is your radio still working flawlessly? If yes, how many days? Also: what year is your Jeep?

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I just received my jl last Friday. My radio cuts in and out and drives me nuts!!!!!!!

Gulo gulo

First Name
Gulo gulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
So, 20 min. after posting this, my “handler” calls to see if the replacement radio fixed the problem.
“No.” Long story short, he is going to contact my local dealer and have a “Star Case” opened.
Not sure what good this will do. Pretty sure this step should have been taken long before now.
PS: to see what version your radio software is, and a bunch of other technical info, turn Jeep on, turn radio on, then, simultaneously push in and hold in the front defrost button and the temp Up and temp Down buttons on the driver’s side.

watupdude1

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Apologies for the delay in replying.
My local Jeep dealer advises that the referenced Bulletin (TSB 08-003-19) addresses 2019 model vehicles. Mine is a 2018.
The radio software version I have is 18.23.29
Side note - amplifier replaced, Jeep “handler” for my case followed up to see if problem resolved.
Problem not resolved. Radio replaced. Problem returned the next day. Jeep “handler” in deep radio silence. No word from anyone regarding a next step, or resolution to the problem.
#watupdude1 - is your radio still working flawlessly? If yes, how many days? Also: what year is your Jeep?
Mine has been working since January 17. My jeep is a 2018.

Last edited:

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my jl last Friday. My radio cuts in and out and drives me nuts!!!!!!!
I'm still troubleshooting this problem myself... very frustrating. Especially on a new car. My question is... has anyone with brand new cars with this problem asked for money back or restitutions for all these issues? I mean under the Lemon Law, if you have to bring a car back 3 times for same issue and not fixed, you can legally return it... A nonfunctional computer is a big issue that lowers the value of the car. Any thoughts?
Sponsored