Are you all using Premium gas ?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Unless something changed in the manual, the 2.0T never mandated 91+. It recommended it for best performance. The ecu will adjust the timing if needed.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As I stated in an earlier post I run premium but I see some running ethanol free gas so is there a benefit ?

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
As I stated in an earlier post I run premium but I see some running ethanol free gas so is there a benefit ?
1. Ethanol does not contain as much energy per volume as gas
2. Ethanol is corrosive/harder on fuel system components
3. Ethanol separates out over time and gunks up stuff

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Just curious is everyone following the manual and use the premium gas ?
If you use regular will it really cause issues ?
The only issue it will cause is lack of power and reduced efficiency and possibly some over heating.

The compression ratio of the engine is pretty high (around 10:1 if I remember correctly...). Coupled with direct injection....you want some higher octane fuel for maximum power and efficiency. If you run lower quality fuel then the engine knock sensors may detect pre-ignition and retard the spark and injection events which translates to reduced power.

I recommend the premium fuel.

We are still on the same tank of fuel from the dealership but when it is time to refill, we will get Premium grade. 👍

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Mines the 2L e torque, always use premium, unless in a remote area where they charge exorbitant for premium, then I fill up with regular. Sometimes more than a dollar more per gallon more than in most cities. Fortunately only once in awhile.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I need to find a station close to me that has it so I can try a few tanks to see if I notice a difference

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Ethanol is also hygroscopic, and contains some measure of water by the time it runs through the refining and distribution process and ends up in your tank. Not only does water not have any energy in it, it absorbs energy when it's converted to vapor in the combustion chamber, thus reducing engine output.

That said, I see no mileage or performance difference between alcohol infused regular and alcohol infused premium. (3.6 no etorque) But the difference when using alcohol-free premium is quite noticeable. It's the difference between 21 mpg and 24 mpg on the open road, as well as better throttle response from a stop.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
The manual says 87. When mine arrives, it will only see 87 unless I head up to the mountains. The gain in "performance" to me is not worth the extra cost at the pump.

From what I've read, the issue only comes at higher boost levels out of the turbo. Normal driving / low boost, it is not that helpful.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m running premium in my 3.6. Went back and fourth between 87 and 93 for a few tanks, I swear I can feel the engine shake on its mounts more at idle with lower octane fuel. Could very well just be in my head but now I’m premium only.

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
87 in my 2.0L unless I am heading to the mountains or having a heavy load.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? 1620213697591

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The 4xe supplemental manual only states 87.

I'm just curious why they overrode the 2.0 fuel recommendations.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I've only filled up once in over 600 miles and there was half a tank left when I did it. With such infrequent fill ups I'm going with the recommended but not needed premium.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Ethanol is also hygroscopic, and contains some measure of water by the time it runs through the refining and distribution process and ends up in your tank. Not only does water not have any energy in it, it absorbs energy when it's converted to vapor in the combustion chamber, thus reducing engine output.

That said, I see no mileage or performance difference between alcohol infused regular and alcohol infused premium. (3.6 no etorque) But the difference when using alcohol-free premium is quite noticeable. It's the difference between 21 mpg and 24 mpg on the open road, as well as better throttle response from a stop.
Seems in most fuels the MPG difference equates the price difference. Except when it comes to ethanol free. That stuff is expensive around here.

When the fuel system and ECU are designed for it, ethanol can be beneficial. I ran ethanol in my mustang with an e85 tune. The price difference came out to premium costs with reduced MPG but the low/mid horsepower gains are substantial. I also liked that the exhaust smelled like corn and the engine ran cooler. However, it wouldn't make sense in this hybrid system.
Sponsored