First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
We get 89 ethanol free for our 21 JLR, 18 ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus and our 1973 CB750 Honda four.
Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
What kind of gas do you use an electric car, that’s funny. What type of coolant do you use in a 1970 Volkswagen bug. LOL

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does everyone realize this is a 4xe thread? I'm guessing it showed up in the new topics page and people are posting without reading?
How does that negate the OP's legitimate inquiry regarding octane requirements for the 2.0T engine? At Mile 26, that special little electric motor in the 4xe becomes ballast.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
How does that negate the OP's legitimate inquiry regarding octane requirements for the 2.0T engine? At Mile 26, that special little electric motor in the 4xe becomes ballast.
That is a misconception that keeps getting spread around. They are working together in hybrid mode. You still get the full combined horse power, you still get the torque and it still runs mostly all electric under 20 mph. It's performing at near 392 numbers.

That's why the speculation they switched the 4xe to 87 only. The motor doesn't have to work as hard.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That is a misconception that keeps getting spread around. They are working together in hybrid mode. You still get the full combined horse power, you still get the torque and it still runs mostly all electric under 20 mph. It's performing at near 392 numbers.

That's why the speculation they switched the 4xe to 87 only. The motor doesn't have to work as hard.
Fair enough. I'm happy to not repeat inaccurate information.

Help us understand something, though:
Imagine the electric motor exhausting its supply of battery voltage after 25 miles of electric-only driving, thus requiring the 2.0T to step in. How does the hybrid system work where the electric motor can continue to provide its full rating of horsepower and torque to supplement the gas engine, thus giving the driver "the full combined horsepower" that you mention? Genuinely curious here.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The top 85% of the battery is used for mostly all electric operation. If you accelerate hard the engine will come on to assist (electric only or hybrid mode). Once it passes that mark it goes into more of a pure hybrid operation. The engine will then run periodically or full time as needed (such as highway speeds).

I'm sure there is a point, where if you are doing some real heavy stuff, like drag racing, that it may need to recover. I spent a few hours on trails and deep sand over the weekend. The sand was brutal but I still had plenty of electric power.

It doesn't have a starter or alternator. So there is no way it could even run without support from the 400V battery.

The engineering around the drivetrain is quite fascinating to read up on. I couldn't do it justice myself.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
A point to add that might help with the above. FCA engineered the 4xe to have the battery boost "always available" by a) switching over to ICE while there is still battery "secretly" remaining as described above and b) enabling the engine to charge the EV battery. So as you drive along the battery recharges when you aren't pushing the vehicle, and depletes when you accelerate aggressively.

I've only had my 4xe a week and a half but the system seems to work really well. Like Michael I am certain that physics dictate if I tow a heavy trailer up a long hill I would deplete the battery and lose that extra horsepower eventually but if I did that a lot I'd have bought the diesel.

When the vehicle is in E-Save mode (set to run on engine as much as possible to save battery) you can set it to preserve battery or charge battery. I notice something like 3-5mpg lost when in charge battery mode and it must take something like a 100 miles of driving to charge the battery from zero back to near full, I've not done it yet from zero to full just played around a bit.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I owned a 3.6 but from my understanding the regular wrangler 2.0 requires premium while they changed something in the tuning of the 4Xe 2.0 so it can take 87 with no issues. I could be wrong as I didn't own a 2.0 but I know I've read that somewhere on the forum. All my past turbos have required premium gas, so this is the first not to require it. I still put it in because the manual says it will adjust to premium. If it doesn't adjust, you are just wasting money.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
A point to add that might help with the above. FCA engineered the 4xe to have the battery boost "always available" by a) switching over to ICE while there is still battery "secretly" remaining as described above and b) enabling the engine to charge the EV battery. So as you drive along the battery recharges when you aren't pushing the vehicle, and depletes when you accelerate aggressively.

I've only had my 4xe a week and a half but the system seems to work really well. Like Michael I am certain that physics dictate if I tow a heavy trailer up a long hill I would deplete the battery and lose that extra horsepower eventually but if I did that a lot I'd have bought the diesel.

When the vehicle is in E-Save mode (set to run on engine as much as possible to save battery) you can set it to preserve battery or charge battery. I notice something like 3-5mpg lost when in charge battery mode and it must take something like a 100 miles of driving to charge the battery from zero back to near full, I've not done it yet from zero to full just played around a bit.
I suspect hitting conditions that would deplete the battery like that are rare. The engineers really nailed a good balance here.

Also, I love the driving characteristics. Very smooth, torque on demand, quiet. It also has an ability to drive with a slow precision that I've not experienced before. When the engine turns on you have a hard time telling given it's just such a butter smooth power combination.

Yes, the MPG on long highway stretches (while not bad for a Wrangler) is nothing impressive. But your passing ability will be.

If you do daily long highway drives I would not recommend the 4xe unless you do long highway dives and are also thinking of getting the 392. I personally love the sound of a V8 but I also love the sound of nature without a V8 around.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Just curious is everyone following the manual and use the premium gas ?
If you use regular will it really cause issues ?
Perhaps elsewhere is this thread this had already been posted from the '21 owner manual. The 2.0 is designed for 87. That said, I typical alternate btw 87 & 91. I've not seen any difference in performance or mpg regardless of the octane level.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? Screenshot_20210505-194851

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
My comment wasn't directed towards the OP, it was directed at the 3.6 owners dropping in. As the others said, it doesn't become a ballast. The zero percent applies to electric only range. The battery always keeps at least 15% charge even when it indicates zero and functions as a hybrid. When at zero percent, at low speeds the car will still use electric only, and when you accelerate it uses power from both the ICE and the battery.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps elsewhere is this thread this had already been posted from the '21 owner manual. The 2.0 is designed for 87. That said, I typical alternate btw 87 & 91. I've not seen any difference in performance or mpg regardless of the octane level.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are you all using Premium gas ? Screenshot_20210505-194851
Thanks Buck.

Interestingly it also states "use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance".

Personally, I'd like the optimal performance gained from 91 octane, however, the engine can run safely at 87 octane.

Up to you...

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
My comment wasn't directed towards the OP, it was directed at the 3.6 owners dropping in. As the others said, it doesn't become a ballast. The zero percent applies to electric only range. The battery always keeps at least 15% charge even when it indicates zero and functions as a hybrid. When at zero percent, at low speeds the car will still use electric only, and when you accelerate it uses power from both the ICE and the battery.
If Jeep is managing the charge like many other OEMs, then it is likely that 15% is divided into 9%/6% ratio where the 9% never sees a charge and the 6% is charged and used for Hybrid operation. That 6% depletes and then gets replenished by waste energy from using the ICE and regenerative braking.

The 9% gets unlocked slowly over time to counter any measured degredation related to the 85%. The user won't even be aware or observe the degredation until that 9% is consumed.

Last edited:

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Just curious is everyone following the manual and use the premium gas ?
If you use regular will it really cause issues ?
Yes, I drive a 2.0L Turbo.
Sponsored