UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When is Uwharrie closing? I haven't heard that. One of my buddies and I were planning to head out there for a quick trip before he moves from SC to TX.
Im sure he meant when they close for the season (mid December through end of March).
Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Im sure he meant when they close for the season (mid December through end of March).
Yeah I looked it up after he said that and realized that's probably what he meant.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
This is my dilemma, I will never go looking for mud (hate the clean up) but if its on a trail , there's now way I would turn around to avoid it (unless it' s super deep). I'm sure when I make a decision, I will stay with M/Ts.
Why continue having mud tires if you are rarely ever going to use them for their designed purpose? Save yourself the headache and get an A/T. They combine the open-tread design of off-road tires with the good handling of street tires But you might have to winch yourself out more often in the mud haha

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Why continue having mud tires if you are rarely ever going to use them for their designed purpose? Save yourself the headache and get an A/T. They combine the open-tread design of off-road tires with the good handling of street tires But you might have to winch yourself out more often in the mud haha
Kind of why I asked this question, But M/T's are really more than just a mud tire. From what I've gathered and in my professional opinion of google searching **sarcasm**. They provide better traction and protections when in/on the rocks.

I'm not trying to question anybody's choice of tire, I like the looks of M/T's and they have done great for me. I originally felt that I truly needed them and I am now wondering if an A/T would be more beneficial, I'm really interested now in how the true hybrids work in the more extreme off road conditions. My thought is I would be somewhat over then under capable. kind of like my winch, I put it on day one and have only used it once 2yrs later to keep a FJ from possibly going sideways over a cliff.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
So here I go! Yes this is another "tire thread". I'm just curious, do we really get an "off road" advantage to using a M/T style tire other then the oblivious. I've been in my JLUR for a little over 2 1/2 yrs, it came with the WildPeak M/T's and about 15k miles in with a lift, I switched to a 315 with the Milestar Patagonia's to give me a bit more belly room. I'm sitting at close to 40k miles and my current tires are wearing great but I'm contemplating going to a 37 and or a different tire just for the hell of it.

What is everyone's impressions of A/T vs M/T when it comes to a DD that sees moderate off-road/trail driving. I'm currently in CO but will soon be moving to OK where it's a completely different off road experience. I'm really wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze?
Take a look at a Hybrid AT/MT tire design. An example of which is the MickeyThompson ATZ P3. Better road manners then a dedicated MT and better off road performance then an AT.

Hybrid tires tend to be slightly more expensive but I have found they offer a more well rounded approach to the many different terrain types most drives encounter while on and off road.

My .02

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I would look at the argument the other way- do your daily requirements keep you in an AT? If there’s any chance of winding up in snow/ice, make sure the tire is snowflake ❄ rated. If not, don’t worry.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
AT's are the better choice for me based on where I drive (almost all street). (Heh it will be a great Jeep for someone in the future as it hasn't been beat-to-death on a trail. :) ). And AT's are almost always quieter than MT's.

But I have to have a tire with a more aggressive look. I'm currently running Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. Not a bad tire.

Not sure what tire I will try next, but it won't be a pure AT.

In the end, you have to decide on the look,and' the characteristics of each type of tire. Sorry, no correct answer here.

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Take a look at a Hybrid AT/MT tire design. An example of which is the MickeyThompson ATZ P3. Better road manners then a dedicated MT and better off road performance then an AT.

Hybrid tires tend to be slightly more expensive but I have found they offer a more well rounded approach to the many different terrain types most drives encounter while on and off road.

My .02
I've had two sets of Mickey Thompson ATZ's, love the hybrid design.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t seen anyone mention Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Believe a few use these and like them. @Moto_21 @ExpeditionBuilds
What did i get roped into? Lol I do like these ridge grapplers. I put a lot of miles on every week and they have performed and rode well on street and in mud and sand. No complaints here!

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
MTs look cool, and are good for...mud and extra traction during rock climbing.

Anything else, not so great. Terrible at stopping, terrible at snow, loud on road, wear down faster than AT. The list goes on.

BFG TA-KOs are the greatest tire ever made. Go with the proven best, american made tire.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
He might be a little conservative in his obstacles he chooses to overcome but he has pushed it and even gotten bit for it. Chris Shontz of Venture4WD has gone 110k miles, much of that offroad, on 315/70/17 KO2’s (4th set).

I’m not sure if I’ll end up with them, but they’ve taken him into some remote, difficult to get to places and they aren’t heavy.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
MTs look cool, and are good for...mud and extra traction during rock climbing.

Anything else, not so great. Terrible at stopping, terrible at snow, loud on road, wear down faster than AT. The list goes on.

BFG TA-KOs are the greatest tire ever made. Go with the proven best, american made tire.
I dont think id go that far with the “best tire ever made” maybe to you they are and thats just fine! but ive had multiple vehicles with them and they are utter garbage to me for any sort of offroading
Sponsored