Are KM2's Really That Bad?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
At the risk of starting yet another thread for arguing about the pros/cons of a Moab, I'm asking for opinions on the tires.

I've driven a lot of different vehicles over the years, but for a DD this is my first SUV - before this mostly coupes and sedans, as well as a minivan. All of them were equipped with various qualities of "regular" all-weather tires (one set was extremely highly rated for winter use).

The KM2s so far in my opinion are as good, if not better, than any tires I've had. Sure they're a little noisy, but this winter I have had ZERO complaints with their ability. Packed or moderately deep snow (under 6 inches) - no problem! Slush - piece of cake. Ice - not great, but is any tire without studs or chains? They were a little scary at first, until I realized they were overinflated. After deflating to about 36 psi they seem fine.

I watch a lot of other vehicles struggling at stoplights to get going, I just hit the gas and take off. Sure some of this has to do with the Selec Trac, LSD, traction control, etc., but if the KM2s are the weak link in the equation, I'd say they're doing fine.

I'm not defending the KM2s - I was aware of all the negative reviews on here about them before I bought my Jeep. I figured I'd just look for a reason to justify throwing them away and spending $1000+ on new tires, but so far I'm fine with them.

BTW - reviews on other sites are much more favorable than those on this forum.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My trail rig TJ has KM2s, and they’re a great tire for off road. Very tough, great grip in most scenarios and hard to puncture on rocks. I’ve run Goodyear MTRs, BFG KMs and KM2s. Also BFG KO2. The KM2s are the best off road tire of that lot with acceptable on road performance. I find the reverse to be true of the KO2: good on road manners and acceptable (but not great) off road performance. I also like the MTRs, but I think BFG has pullled ahead over the years with the KM2. Rotating the KM2s helps with longevity and (some) road noise.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My trail rig TJ has KM2s, and they’re a great tire for off road. Very tough, great grip in most scenarios and hard to puncture on rocks. I’ve run Goodyear MTRs, BFG KMs and KM2s. Also BFG KO2. The KM2s are the best off road tire of that lot with acceptable on road performance. I find the reverse to be true of the KO2: good on road manners and acceptable (but not great) off road performance. I also like the MTRs, but I think BFG has pullled ahead over the years with the KM2. Rotating the KM2s helps with longevity and (some) road noise.

Just my opinion.
Good info, thanks. I have no idea about the lifespan of them (I'm at just under 3K miles). I would probably agree that they're not great on dry pavement - like many say, kinda noisy. Doesn't feel really anything like an all-weather tire - kinda rough and rugged, but part of that could be the suspension and other aspects of the Wrangler that I'm fairly new to.

I'm planning on rotating all 5 at every oil change, I guess I'll see how that goes.

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
Hmmmm....don't have our Moab yet but this thread is giving me second thoughts on the planned immediate tire swap. Thank you

EMJeep

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my JK I was doing a 5 tire rotation every 6K miles, or close to it, and I got a little over 50K miles on the KM2’s I was running. Ended up selling it with those same tires.

Don’t know how many more miles were added before changing. They still had some life on them.

Sponsored

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
KM2's came on my 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock and I think they have been great. I have about 25K on them and a little under half the tread life left. I live in Utah and I haven't come close to getting stuck in the snow and they are not supposed to be that great on snow and ice compared to the KO2's. They have been really solid on in the dirt, sand and even slick rock down in Moab (when aired down). Downside is they have definitely gotten louder after the about 10K-15K mi. and show some cupping that is really noticeable especially right after rotating them for about the first 100 miles. Overall I think they are solid. I am looking forward to comparing them to the KO2’s when I get my new JLU that is on order.

Last edited:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
They are great for the mud, but that is about it. As they get miles on them, they get downright dangerous in the rain and snow.

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
They are great for the mud, but that is about it. As they get miles on them, they get downright dangerous in the rain and snow.
I would be interested in hearing about how many miles it takes for them to get sour. Right now, brand new, in upstate New York, they are excellent under all types of conditions. I’m not particularly concerned about the noise level as for most of the summer, the top will be off anyway. I’ll just keep turning the radio up Lol.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You will get "their greatest thing in the world" and "they are garbage" opinions about every brand/model tire. Ignore them and get the ones you like and can afford.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Rotate them often for even tread wear. My 14 JkUR was driven mostly highway miles and I got 53k miles out of them before they were bald. My 16 JKUR Hard Rock was mostly city driven and I only got about 34k out of the set.

You have to rotate them. They cup easily and the more they cup the louder they sing!

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you love the KM2, just wait until you run a truly good mud tire. It'll blow your mind. ;)

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I've got KM3's. Love them so far, but have not been in any wet conditions as of yet, but otherwise so far proving to be an awesome tire.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I've got KM3's. Love them so far, but have not been in any wet conditions as of yet, but otherwise so far proving to be an awesome tire.
Please let us know your impressions. This may be my next tire for the JL if I go to 35’s.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have KM3s (295/70/17) as well and have been driving in a lot of wet weather and some snow/ice mix. Only for a couple weeks but they've performed great and are reasonably quite for a big lug mud tire. They are a bit heavy, of course. The tire plus my wheel is ~94 pounds. My JL still accelerates well and is able to hold 8th gear quite a lot on the freeway. I replaced my stock wheels the second day, so I don't have other preconceptions on how they compare to stock.

I work from home so don't do a lot of daily driving, so obviously your case may vary but my understanding is the KM3 has much improved road manners. It is a great looking tire, IMO.

67166F4F-4897-43A6-B05E-96D03BA05656.jpeg

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Performance wise they are probably ok and acceptable as you noted. The best probably not. Ok probably.

Comfort wise will probably deteriorate with some wear resulting in increased road noise.

The biggest thing is they are an odd tire for the application. Factory fitment on a trim level focused on buyers that will likely do little off road. I guess they achieve a rugged look. That and FCA probably got them on a fire sale increasing their margin. The buyer is the loser really. They will become annoying before their functional life is used up on a daily driver. Unless you do a lot of offroading.
Sponsored