Are KM2's Really That Bad?

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I traded wheels and tires with a Sahara including the rock sliders. My off road will be mild trails while more highway miles. A friend had the KM2’s and couldn’t wait to get rid of them. I personally didn’t appreciate the noise but I am 75 and have owned 6 Jeep’s when I was younger, CJ’s and noisy tires.

EDC6C447-7B40-45BC-B444-D60EF89CAA33.jpeg
Sponsored

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Waiting on my Sahara....what tires come with all terrain option?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Kinda old thread, but ...
In rain, the KM2's are easily the worst tires I have had had on any vehicle, ever. You need to take curved highway overchanges very slow to avoid a sphincter clenching 4-wheel drift.
They may as well be slicks. Or made of ice.
I know others say, "you just need to know their limitations" and that is all fine. But, if the limitation is driving crazy slow in rain or snow, then that means it's a crap tire for anything but off-road use or dry conditions.
Also, BFG does not even bother to give the dB rating for them as they are so loud. Of course, all MT tires are loud, so you have to expect that.
At highway speed, I only hear the tires.
After switching to KO2s, I only hear the wind noise. Plus, I don't shit myself every time I round a corner in the wet.

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
KM2s are incredibly noisy at 75mph. You can not have a conversation or listen to the radio at a reasonable volume. I find myself trying to turn down the tire noise with the volume control on the radio.

Ridge Grapplers going on this week.

Sponsored

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
We're running the stock mudders on our MOAB. It's Wifey's daily driver. We love that "hum". It's some sweet Jeep music man! If we wanted a nice cushy, quiet ride, heck, buy a Lexus.... My Wife is a Jeep Chick, and she loves hearing those tires! And we also have the Sky One Touch top. Loving the MOAB!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've been running KM2's for a little while now. They're not that bad. All the claims of them being like slicks on wet roads is completely unfounded, based on my experience. Likewise the noise isn't deafening either. I have noticed that a lot of it's characteristics are affected by tire pressure, so I won't say people are exaggerating, or imagining it. I believe them, but I think a minor adjustment in tire pressure would change their experience.
For example, I briefly had mine at about 40 psi. They were loud, but after dropping pressure to 36 they're considerably quieter. When it's hot out and the tire pressure increases to above 38 they start to sing again. So I just keep them around 34, so they stay below 38 even when they're hot.
Likewise, I found they also grip wet roads better at the lower pressure too. I think a lot of the complaints are a result of high pressure.

To be fair they are louder than the KO2's we had on the Grand Cherokee. But that's a given since it's an A/T vs M/T. On that same note, it should also be expected that they don't handle wet roads as well as an A/T either (this is common with a M/T). Based on the use I've gotten from mine, for a M/T they're second only to the Duratrac. That's not to say there aren't better tires out there, but of all the tires I've used these are near the top. So to answer the topic of the thread, no they're not that bad.

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
I lowered my PSI also. I don’t have any handling complaints at 34 psi. Driving it home from the dealer on the turnpike on a windy day at 42psi was not an enjoyable drive.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah I don't know why they fill these so high. It would make sense on a one ton truck or something where they're going to be handling heavy loads, but that's not necessary on a JL. So far 34 seems to be the sweet spot.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Driving it home from the dealer on the turnpike on a windy day at 42psi was not an enjoyable drive.
To be fair, if it was new it would not matter what the pressure is. Tires, when new are very slippery as they still contain mold-release agent on the rubber and those little nubs, which are used to release gasses during the molding.
Both of those things make the tires very slippery.

Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
KM2s aren’t as bad a tire as they are simply lazy cost-cutting on Jeep’s part. Funny how the size happens to be the exact same as the JK since they clearly just slapped them on to clear out their old tire inventory. Jeep should be fitting the Moab JLs with the latest KM3s given the cost of the trim.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
My Rubicon JLU Came with 32" BFG KM2 "Middle East Spec".

Having tried Ko2's and KM3's on different Jeeps the KM2 is the worst one on road.

Pros:
1- Great mud performance.
2- Durable.
3- Great overall for offroad (Except Sand).

Cons:
1- Noisy on road. (compared to the KM3).
2- Slippery af on wet pavement.
3- Horrible in soft sand. (Compared to KO2 & KM3)
4- On stop and go traffic it feels like it's skipping (bumpy feeling), barely noticeable but annoying. (compared to the KM3)

That's my own personal opinion.
I would not buy it.

attached image for reference.
IMG_0843.JPG

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
I had KM2's on my MEA spec JLR

Used them for about 7K miles.. Switched over to KM3's since I could not stand the 255/75 skinny look

Off-road performance in sand and rocks was good (deflated to about 18psi) a bit loud on the highway, rough in stop and go traffic.

Overall not bad, would have not changed them if the size was correct

I do prefer the KM3 in every single way though.. Much more smooth and less noise

1B007982-B5B0-4EDC-9942-EC7EDE3B4925.jpeg

7175FCE4-E46A-4C8D-ACC1-85BF2F32A489.jpeg

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
My Rubicon JLU Came with 32" BFG KM2 "Middle East Spec".

Having tried Ko2's and KM3's on different Jeeps the KM2 is the worst one on road.

Pros:
1- Great mud performance.
2- Durable.
3- Great overall for offroad (Except Sand).

Cons:
1- Noisy on road. (compared to the KM3).
2- Slippery af on wet pavement.
3- Horrible in soft sand. (Compared to KO2 & KM3)
4- On stop and go traffic it feels like it's skipping (bumpy feeling), barely noticeable but annoying. (compared to the KM3)

That's my own personal opinion.
I would not buy it.

attached image for reference.
IMG_0843.JPG
2 reviews from Kuwait :P السلام عليكم

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
2 reviews from Kuwait :P السلام عليكم
وعليكم السلام :fist bump:
"Jeep Wave :p"

Where did you get your KM3's from? i assume RCX since he's the only one who carries BFG.
How much did they cost you?
Sponsored