RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi Everyone, long time reader first time poster. I’m in the process of ordering my 2019 Rubi (through Craig at Koons) and I’m wanted to get the collective opinion of the forum on two options. wondering if the LED headlights are really worth the extra $900. Won’t some kind of LED aftermarket lights be available forb1/5th the cost?

Also is the hardtop headliner worth it? I had a 97 Sahara back in the day and it didn’t seem that noisy with the hardtop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-mike
Mike, as you could have probably guessed, and I suspect saw, answers IMHO fall into 3 categories on these "should I get/not get the XYZ" features: in your case the LED package and headliners.

First you'll get the "do it!/don't do it" ones. Unless they're stories of regret or explain why they felt the decision wise, they may not apply to you: your likes, your bank account, your priorities for spending , etc.

Next you'll get the "in my opinion" ones. I think their better, but again, without explanation why, you have no idea what their decision rubric was, or if it applies to you.

Next you'll get the "beware of people" justifying their own decisions: bravo to those posters.

I'm the last camp and hope I add value here by telling you the things reasonable people consider in these situations, and what I did so as to reveal bias.

I didn't get the LEDs. I heard stories here of other motorists thinking that the JL owner was high beaming them even when their LEDs were on low beam. But I also heard that the JK headlights were sucky, but the JLs base ones were not. I like my choice, as sure as its not case in stone. Swapping headlights is not hard, if not also expensive if I end up regretting my decision. The bright side (no pun intended) is that this is not a no turning back decision like transmission (automatic/manual) choice.

Not an offroader or one to frequently drive country roads (you may be) I decided to opt out of the LED package, which as you know is more than the headlights. If I was an off roader/country road driver I might have felt different, or I might have waited until the price comes down on these, and/or if needed, I might have installed a light bar.

Remember when halogens were all the rage? Then came LEDs with their "high lumens/low power used" long life. There's arguments for enjoying this technology now, and arguments to wait until the next greatest bulb drives the prices of these down.

What else can you spend the money on on the JL you prefer more? What else other than the JL can you spend the money on? Would banking it be wiser? Only you know your financial situation, your investment risk, and your spend/save tendencies.

Lets switch to headliners. I don't have them. Then again, as it relates to the 2 main, and 1 alternate reasons I know of for getting them, 1) climate control 2) noise, and appearance I didn't get heated seats either. I've never had much of a garage to keep rigs in, or auto start. If it's cold out I put the coat on, and besides, headliners are much better keeping out the hot that in, especially overnight in the winter, at least the factory ones.

Here again, the aftermarket has excellent offerings if you don't get the factory ones. Some diehard "give me headliners or give me death" advocates will also not be ordering the factory ones opting instead for their aftermarket loyalties in this product space. Here again, this is not a hard install as mods go.

For me, the noise level in the JL Wrangler (I'm a Dual Top owner) is not only fine, but I bought into it with open eyes. You may feel differently and that's cool. If you lived in Arizona I might suggest them for you. And if you want them, get them. No way will I tell you they're stupid, just not initially worth it for me.

Speaking of Dual Top owners, I use the Freedom Jack to get my hard top off. It's a device that pushes the hard top up from the inside of the rig, that I was afraid might push too hard on headliners. I don't mind the white interior appearance. BTW I'm told the Top Lift Pro doesn't have such issues with headliners, and I could probably design something for my Freedom Jack to increase its surface area, thereby reduced the lbs/sq in the device applies at the point of interface with any potential headliners.

Soon Bestop, the makers of the softtop will release their Sunrider: a replacement for hard top Freedom Panels that allows not only open and closure of the device from within the interior of the rig, but that gives hard top owners more soft top like choice early into the Spring and longer into the Fall. If that's something that might interest you then consider how warm those Freedom Panel headliners are going to keep the Freedom Panels tucked away in your garage;) .

Both the LEDs and headliners are good products that for some owners are critical and anything but a waste, and for others a waste of money. Hopefully I've given you the tools to make a more informed decision that's right for you.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely worth it in my opinion. It even makes the Jeep look a bit more high end. When I was searching, LEDs were a must have for me. They're also really bright and white. I mean in a couple of years we are going to see nothing but LEDs on the road.

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
Hi that is sound logic. people really seem to like the led package and I do remember the light output on my 97 was not great.

What’s the freedom package? I didn’t see it
Blk freedom top, so a hard top

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone, long time reader first time poster. I’m in the process of ordering my 2019 Rubi (through Craig at Koons) and I’m wanted to get the collective opinion of the forum on two options. wondering if the LED headlights are really worth the extra $900. Won’t some kind of LED aftermarket lights be available forb1/5th the cost?
Hi Mike and welcome! :)

I'd say IMO, no they aren't. I converted my stock Halogen bulbs and replaced them with LED bulbs which plugged directly into my stock halogen lamp, with absolutely no problem. Here is information on the bulbs I purchased and my review:

Bulb information: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-454#post-342596'

Bulb Review: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-459#post-343839

bigp399

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
I traded in a 2014 JK for a JLUR, and got both LED lights and the headliner. I will say, the lights are nice and bright, but I gotta admit I mostly got them so I never have to change them again. Living in Las Vegas, I 100% would get the headliner er again. In my JK, that matte black roof would radiate heat like crazy into the cabing, and in the summer was difficult to touch. The headliner really helps with that. I'd say the value is related to how hot and sunny the local you are in is, though it may be useful in a cold clime as well.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I traded in a 2014 JK for a JLUR, and got both LED lights and the headliner. I will say, the lights are nice and bright, but I gotta admit I mostly got them so I never have to change them again. Living in Las Vegas, I 100% would get the headliner er again. In my JK, that matte black roof would radiate heat like crazy into the cabing, and in the summer was difficult to touch. The headliner really helps with that. I'd say the value is related to how hot and sunny the local you are in is, though it may be useful in a cold clime as well.
Dammit. For $900 I would have been happy to change your halogen bulbs for you for the life of your truck.

PM me before you buy your next Wrangler. :)

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition

Also is the hardtop headliner worth it? I had a 97 Sahara back in the day and it didn’t seem that noisy with the hardtop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-mike
I got my 2018 JLU a month ago... the LED pkg was the only thing missing on the config, and I wish I had kept looking. I went to the Jeep dealership last week to price out getting the OEM LED headlights, and they wanted $900, which didn't include install nor the front/back markers. Needless to say I'm a little bummed about the price. I'm trying to be patient as I'm hoping a LED lighting option with come available soon that work well, and not drain my wallet. Good luck on your decision!

Sponsored

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
I tried to read through most of this:ontheloo:. Didn't see anyone mention a little financial twist...

Full disclosure:
I would 100% recommend the LED's. Was a must have for me. With my JK I added JW Speaker headlights, and that wasn't cheap, but one of the best things I did.

Here's my point though:
I would MUCH rather finance and extra $900 for an upgrade, than come out of pocket for it later.

For all you psychology majors out there... maybe this is my way of "justifying" my spending (actually financing) of $900... I'll try to address that in my next session... but then again I don't buy the "my halogens are good enough" as you run around with a 50in light bar. Seriously, colored TV was good enough at one point too.... but I ain't buying if it ain't 4K now.

In closing... if you're thinking about doing the LED's (See Photo)

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 1.44.02 PM.png

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
A lot of what you’re reading here is comparing the cost of the LED Package to the cost of upgrading the stock lights over to LEDs.

That’s unfair, since the comparison ought to be $0 vs. $900- halogens vs. the LED Package. For a brand new Wrangler those are the only two options a buyer has (except for we Sport owners who didn’t need to overburden our minds with this quandary).

The standard halogens are really great headlights. I think most buyers would be well served by them.

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I ended up purchasing a base JLUR off the lot rather than ordering the one I wanted and the one thing I really feel like I regret is not having the LED lighting package. Almost immediately, I felt like the headlights were underwhelming in terms of brightness and road coverage even on a pitch black country road. I swapped the OEM bulbs out shortly thereafter for Philips Xtreme Vision 100s which was a major improvement, but they still don't look as good as the OEM LEDs.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
I too am try to decide about the LED lights.
I am thinking of getting the safety pkg, which I feel is more useful for a daily car and it comes with rear LED lights.
Later, if I want to upgrade the front lights I can.

Blades-MI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Expedition, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL (on order)
Thanks guys, this is great advice. Seems like people really like the LED’s. I’ll keep it in my build and loose the cold weather package instead. Still up in the air about the headliner though.

Dealer said prod for the 19’s start in nov with delivery in dec or even Jan.

That’s a long time to wait but I’ve been waiting since 99 when I gave up my 97 Sahara so not too bad
I have both the headlights and the cold weather package. I like the headlights, but wouldn't give up my heated seats for them! I decided against the headliner because I figured I could go aftermarket with one down the road if I decided I needed to. I haven't dealt with winter temps yet, but don't foresee needing it based on noise levels.
Sponsored