Are Husky Tools Any Good?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Hopefully he surprises you and is able to keep and use them for a long time. Like you, my folks got me a Craftsman set at 18 (30 years ago). I still have almost all the original pieces and still use it regularly.
Sponsored

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
You might want to check out Tekton. They sell direct and also on Amazon. I'm happy with their ratchets for the price. Pretty good value for the money IMO.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You might want to check out Tekton. They sell direct and also on Amazon. I'm happy with their ratchets for the price. Pretty good value for the money IMO.
Second that.
I have some bit sets and replaced a kobalt locking plier with a set from Tekton. the kobalt was fancy with an over molded rubber grip but a little metal bit fell out and now it doesn’t lock. I like the tekton ones because they are very comfortable even though they look like just cheap stamped metal, they are smooth and seem quality. But I really love the release. Most locking pliers you have to pull a lever away from the handle, with these you pull towards the handle so it’s easy to use one handed. You can tighten and use the pliers, then to unlock just use pinky/ring finger to pull the lever and unlock. I like that.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I've had good luck with Husky sockets, drives, and wrenches. Their torque wrench OTOH I've exchanged once and need to do so again. Its a nice tool, but the ratchet mechanism simply isn't up to the job.

Pete

ohjabarn

First Name
Ohja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
They say you can take them in, no receipt and no questions asked and Home Depot will replace them. Just like Sears used to do with Craftsman. I miss those days with Sears stores and Craftsman tools that were made in the US.
Yep, Craftsman is a line of tools, lawn and garden equipment, and workwear. Initially, house brand established by Sears, the brand is currently claimed by Stanley Black and Decker. In the event that these Craftsman hand tools at any point neglect to give total fulfillment, they will be fixed or replaced free for nothing. Other hand tool categories not covered by this warranty receive a limited warranty, which requires proof of purchase.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It all depends on what you are doing. Craftsman is a good brand that will last years for the home mechanic. What I find is if you are using the same thing all of the time then upgrading just that piece is worthwhile. If you rarely use a certain tool, you don't need anything any better than Harbor Freight.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The Husky/ Cobalt tools should be great for him. If they have a lifetime free replacement warranty what more could you ask. If he decides to become a “pro” you can always upgrade later, but for most folks these will be fine and do all that needs doing. I got a small set of cheapo’s from Harbor Freight a few years ago just to carry. The were “fair but I broke several sockets-low quality metal. What you are looking at is a definite step or two up in quality.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought a Kobalt 1/2" ratchet from Lowes recently. It surprised me as to how well it has worked. I can't say anything about the strength, since I haven't really put it to a good test yet. But the precision of the ratchet works is very impressive. Never thought I'd say that about such an offshore tool.

I also second whoever mentioned Tekton tools. I have a full combination end wrench set that has been great for a few years.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
A year late but... I recently got this set for my son
First time carrying it out to his Jeep he got the opportunity to learn where all the sockets go as the lousy "wings" they put on the case to lock the drawers do Nothing !!!
Just make sure you get some bungies or straps to go along with this set - really, really bad flaw :(

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Those Husky tools are fine for him. I bet he will have most of them for the rest of his life. My son goes to Penn State. So I took an old plastic toolbox that was probably 30 years old and fitted him with a basic set of tools and whatnot. He uses it and is happy.

I lucked out and bought a set of tools from the Snap-On guy (they were Blue Point) but in a case where I keep them in the RV. They were only $200 (back in 2020). I have some other tools but in the end, good enough for fixing what I need on the road.

The best thing you can do is to make sure he knows how to use the tools and practice with them. I would suggest a set of gloves for mechanics. I don't use them but for people that just tinker, it's a good thing to have also.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You're really just rolling the dice. At the end of the day, most of these tools likely come out of the same Chinese factory. However, I haven't had a lot of issues with anything from Husky or Kobalt.

The only tools I've been disappointed with, and not surprisingly so, are Harbor Freight. I've managed to break two of their torque wrenches with, you know, torque.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
I have a mix of mostly craftsman and some gear wrench and husky never had any issues and I used to wrench a lot on diesel truck builds not so much anymore but they definitely served their purpose and are still going. Now if it was my trade and money maker I’d probably have snap-on but I see no need unless you have buckets of money to burn lol

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
This is OT but the #1 used tool I use on a daily basis and has taken a huge beating for years are these. They are expensive but the amount of torque I've put on them taking out rusted bolts (especially brakes) is mind boggling.
https://webcat.cornwelltools.com/CR...ong-Flex-Ratcheting-Box-Wrench-Set-p485649780
Those are expensive but, yeah, I could see that brake work issue using those would rock !!!
But what about the fun of finally getting the socket to fit with various adaptors and then having it fall off and searching for it ??? - Your way takes all the fun out of the project.
Sure... if you just want to take the easy way you clearly made the right choice but... the fun ?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Those are expensive but, yeah, I could see that brake work issue using those would rock !!!
But what about the fun of finally getting the socket to fit with various adaptors and then having it fall off and searching for it ??? - Your way takes all the fun out of the project.
Sure... if you just want to take the easy way you clearly made the right choice but... the fun ?
Best part is they have the spacing in the sizes that work for things like Korean cars. Where most of the time, the 12-14 wrench is all you need to remove the caliper and caliper carrier. With the flex head it makes it easier to do lots of jobs. There are aftermarket ones that are much cheaper and would probably be a good thing to use because after you do, you never want to go back.
Sponsored