DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Home Depot has a nice 290 piece mechanics tool set for $150. I'm thinking about that for my 18 yo son. I don't want to buy really expensive tools because he'll abuse and lose them. But I want a solid set to start him off that is a good value. This looks like it is on-par with a $200 Kobalt set at Lowe's with about the same # and type of tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-290-Piece-H290MTS/312945780#overlay

They are lifetime guaranteed with no receipt no-ask exchange.

What says the hive?
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
They’ll be fine for weekend shade tree work. Everyday professional mechanics work the. That’s where some of them will show their limitations. Comfort in your hand and durability over years of 7-10 hours a day can make the high dollar tools worth it. But I’ve used tools of this level for years and never had any issues.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
They're fair. I have several and they hold up to what I do.

If I was a professional, I'd get better. But those are a lot more expensive.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
I would agree they are pretty good and tend to hold up to normal usage.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have had pretty good luck with the ratchets and sockets, the screwdrivers not so much. They have a 144 position ratchet (assume to be a 72 tooth gear) that is really nice. I have worked the dog $%&^ out of them and they have held up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, guys! He's no pro. He likes to dabble with mechanical things, such as working bikes or his WJ and does pretty well when he puts his mind to it. I'm betting he'll be a little better about putting shit back where it belongs when it is his as opposed to when it is mine. He usually only puts my stuff back where it belongs when my foot is up his ass, LOL!

But it is nice because it is portable, so he can take it with him to a buddy's house when they are working on their cars and such.

Sounds like it is a winner for the kind of work he does.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I had really bad luck with Husky's hand ratcheting tools to the point where I'd use it one or two times and it would break. But for the price, it's worth a shot for a beginner. Worst case you just replace a couple of the socket wrenches with Milwaukee. Everything else seemed OK for me.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have a huge set of Husky tools that I use, mixed in with some Icon sockets. I haven’t had any issues with my tools. As far as getting ”better” tools, perhaps Matco tools would be my go to as far as ratchets and wrenches go, but ive yet to have issues. I have had mine of a little over a year with many hours on them.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had really bad luck with Husky's hand ratcheting tools to the point where I'd use it one or two times and it would break. But for the price, it's worth a shot for a beginner. Worst case you just replace a couple of the socket wrenches with Milwaukee. Everything else seemed OK for me.
They say you can take them in, no receipt and no questions asked and Home Depot will replace them. Just like Sears used to do with Craftsman. I miss those days with Sears stores and Craftsman tools that were made in the US.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They say you can take them in, no receipt and no questions asked and Home Depot will replace them. Just like Sears used to do with Craftsman. I miss those days with Sears stores and Craftsman tools that were made in the US.
Yeah, you can. I did that several times -- it just got frustrating when it would break each time I went to use it. Never made it one project without it breaking. Everything else was fine, it was just the actual socket wrenches that sucked.

And I agree.

Sponsored

Frostbyte

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392XR, 2019 WK2 LtdX, 2017 JK, 2006 XK
What you're supposed to do is buy yourself top notch tools and give your kid the hand-me-downs. That's what I did. But my kid was a teen (now 20) knucklehead.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
When I was younger I had an easier time with the sets. Since everything had a spot it was easier to put away. So hopefully your son finds it easier to clean up and account for things.

I’m close to needing a roller chest now, too many odds and ends tools on my little workbench and my little toolbox from highschool.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
A great set and a great present choice for a young dude. Every father should do this for their kids when they near leaving the nest, and hopefully have taught them how to use most.

Deleted member 73239

I prefer Kobalt from Lowes but I would put Husky, Kobalt and Craftsman in a similar category. I just like the fact that Lowes has a larger selection of individual tools so if one does break I could most likely walk out with a new tool. Unfortunately around here our Home Depot’s have really reduced their individual Husky inventory.

kenp1985

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Kobalt has really surprised me as a weekend warrior. I’ve had a few Husky sets over the years but now prefer Kobalt. Screwdriver set is a screamin’ deal for price and quality
Sponsored