Anyone actually use 6th gear?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I think the Rubicon axle ratio must help, I have a JLUR and 6th is probably used 95% of the time while on the freeway.
I have a JLUR and live in Southern Arizona and I use 6th gear everyday on the highway and even on some back roads. If I need to climb hills over 4% I use 4th gear. I still have 33s.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2X I have a 2 door Rubi also and I love the 6 speed. I average 19-20 MPG on the highway.
I am getting 20+ mpg now that I have over 6,000 miles on my JLUR. I love the 6-speed as well. Rented a JL with 8-speed auto for 3 days and couldn’t wait to drive my 6-speed again.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've found that my JLU 3.6 doesn't have much 'testicular fortitude' until about 2,000 RPM. That being typed, when I' m cruising on the highway (or even a flat 4-lane state hwy), I use 6th gear all the time to drop the RPM to increase fuel economy. It seems to pull OK for a bit up a small hill (with passengers) at 75-80 MPH at or about 2,000 RPM ...again - IF the hill isn't too large.

There's a 4-lane state hwy with a HUGE hill that I drive almost every day. I run at that hill (first going DOWN the good sized hill that leads to it.) I drop into 5th at the bottom and not long after that, I'm in 4th before I'm halfway up. So the power depends on the road you're on and the speed you're traveling. On a recent 365 mile trip (mostly on the Interstate), I averaged 22.6 (ish) MPG. Not sure how much different it would be in 5th.
I have found the 3.6 hits the power curve at 2,300 RPM and it is noticeable. I now make sure I am at or above that when wheeling up hills.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
It's not fair to blame the transmission for what really is an engine issue. The pentastar is simply not a truck motor. It's sorely lacking in low end torque and that really shows itself with a manual transmission. Put an old straight-6 in front of the new six-speed and you would be instantly in love.
Well said Toy, you’re right on the money with the Pentastar not having much torque. In my old standard vehicles (ex. Ford Explorer) I remember having enough engine compression that if I were getting off the highway with a long off ramp I could downshift gear by gear and not even have to touch my brakes. Which of course allows them to last 80-90 thousand miles. (Try that with an automatic!) My one complaint about this JL engine is the lack of compression when downshifting, you have to use the brake to help slow the vehicle.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The lack of compression is also partly the reduced engine friction that helps it get that drastically better fuel economy. My biggest complaints against the Pentastar are the laggy fly-by-wire throttle response and the ridiculous rev hang. It's a very smooth combination when taking a Sunday drive, but you simply can't drive it aggressively. Trying to blip the throttle for a downshift is a guessing game of just when it will rev and how high. Up-shifting near the rev limit, you either have to sit and wait for the revs to drop, wasting momentum, or dump the clutch and put a lot of unnecessary heat and wear on it.

The engine really puts a damper on a terrific transmission and utterly fantastic vehicle overall. I would dive head-first back into obscene debt if they would release the new 3.0 eco-diesel with this manual transmission. Can you imagine an 84:1 crawl ratio and actually having 400+lb/ft to work with instead of the 100 or so lb/ft the Pentastar makes below 2000 rpm?

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today my wife, my two daughters and I drove to Flagstaff, AZ (7000 ft elevation) from Tucson, AZ. I have a 6-speed JLUR and only on two steep hills did I have to use 4th gear. All the other grades I was able to use 6th. I found that if I was doing at least 72 mph it was no issue. I had to use 5th when someone camped in the fast lane on a grade and was slow. I would use 4th to 65 mph and 5th to 72 mph. I averaged over 22 mpg over the 270 mile trip. On the descents I never touched my brakes. So glad I got the 6-speed.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The lack of compression is also partly the reduced engine friction that helps it get that drastically better fuel economy. My biggest complaints against the Pentastar are the laggy fly-by-wire throttle response and the ridiculous rev hang. It's a very smooth combination when taking a Sunday drive, but you simply can't drive it aggressively. Trying to blip the throttle for a downshift is a guessing game of just when it will rev and how high. Up-shifting near the rev limit, you either have to sit and wait for the revs to drop, wasting momentum, or dump the clutch and put a lot of unnecessary heat and wear on it.

The engine really puts a damper on a terrific transmission and utterly fantastic vehicle overall. I would dive head-first back into obscene debt if they would release the new 3.0 eco-diesel with this manual transmission. Can you imagine an 84:1 crawl ratio and actually having 400+lb/ft to work with instead of the 100 or so lb/ft the Pentastar makes below 2000 rpm?
A turbo diesel with this transmission would be a BLAST

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s an overdrive gear for cruising. I’ve had my Jeep for a day and have used it a lot. It’s a gas saver.