Sponsored

Anyone actually use 6th gear?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, Punk'n
I have a Sport S 2dr and was surprised how much the gearing changed between my JL and JK. I use 6th around 70-75 when I don't have hills or need to accelerate. Living in Maryland that varies greatly. I imagine 6th works better for me than someone with a JLU.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
6th is my Manitoba gear. Flat and straight.
In NW Ontario where it’s a bit more hilly and curvy, 5th for a about 80% of the time is good to maintain 100 (60mph). Downshift to 3rd for an overtake.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I use 6th constantly on highway driving.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I use 6th gear all the time, back roads, city streets, highways; anytime I get to 45 - 50 MPH. I have a Rubicon; so this most definitely helps with the 4:10 gearing.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Wish they offered the 2L with the 6MT; turbo engines have their max torque available at highway RPMs, so you can stomp on the accelerator to maintain highway speeds on almost any grade.

My biggest complaint in other vehicles is 6th actually being too short, not too tall. They seemed to give up potential fuel economy in favor of top gear passing power, which is dumb because you can always downshift for more go. Honda was notorious for gearing 6th so short that the engine would be well over 3k RPM just to cruise on the highway. Doing so increases max speed, but no one in an Accord or whatever prioritized the ability to hit 155.

I haven't driven a 3.45 6MT yet, but I think the 4.10 is geared fine (except neither 1st nor 2nd being well-suited for taking off from a stop). I predict the BSG in the 2019+ models will allow you to start in 2nd gear much more easily, at least with the 4.10.

One_Angry_Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the gearing on the manual is bad. I have made comments on other threads about it and I was thinking I was alone on my thoughts about it. I have also made comments about the poor oem tune as well and how the gearing brings that problem to the forefront.

Sharkbite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I could rarely use 6th, maybe on a slight downhill on the interstate in a 2 door with 35's. It's not practical for everyone but I went with 488's and it is fantastic. I use 6th all the time now above 45-50 mph unless on a decent uphill. Gas mileage is better as well.

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Today I checked and the motor is turning about 1300 rpm at 50mph in 6th gear. I have 3.45 gears. (Sport S). That equates to about 1800 at 70. Thats a bit low to climb any hill or have any acceleration. But I guess its good enough for flat highways without traffic. (I don't drive in either).

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I could rarely use 6th, maybe on a slight downhill on the interstate in a 2 door with 35's. It's not practical for everyone but I went with 488's and it is fantastic. I use 6th all the time now above 45-50 mph unless on a decent uphill. Gas mileage is better as well.
Yes that’s exactly how my stock 6 speed JL 2 door Rubicon performs with 33’s. I’m contemplating going to 35’s when the 33’s wear out but was wondering what the extra 2” diameter would result in. Is it really worth the extra 1” extra ground clearance at the expense of the chance my drivability will be considerably worse. Once you mount the tires you’re stuck with them or pay the expense of a re-gear.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
In a couple of years, I’m thinking about regearing to 4.56s and getting a tune on my 33s. I think that would be the ticket.

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
Given, mines a JLUR, but I find myself in 6th all the time - even at speeds between 55-65. This is completely dependent on driving conditions, though. I live in the SF Bay Area & its hilly. Going downhill at normal freeway speeds, and even flat surfaces, I'm pretty much always in 6th. It's fine for maintaining speed & if I need to speed up, I just downshift.

Hills differ dependant on grade & speed. 5th and 6th don't usually cut it, but 4th seems fine. Even in my ballsy little Mini John Cooper Works, I need to downshift to 5th to accelerate up some of the steeper freeway grades.

I think a lot of this is dependent on our individual driving styles and road conditions. I tend to accelerate quickly, then ease back in overdrive when I'm at a comfortable speed.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I really thought I was the only one that thought this. 6th in a JLU Sport S is pointless at 80 on I-95 in South Florida, which is really flat because I find that I lose speed at the slightest incline. 85 is the only time I can use 6th but then my mileage drops below 15 so I have slowed down. Speaking of, am I the only one averaging 15-16 on the interstate? I have Rubicon takes offs and a 2.5 inch lift but in a ton of other threads, I'm seeing people get close to 20.
Sponsored