Any regrets going automatic?

JG1000

First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I know the automatic transmission is way better than the manual transmission. I’m seeing the new 392 rubicon is offered in automatic only and I’m not saying I’ll be getting one anytime soon. I’ve been driving manual for a long time to a point where driving an automatic is uncomfortable for me because my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary. Just out of curiosity how many of you out here made the switch to automatic from manual and if you have any regrets or love it better?
Sponsored

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a manual TJ, and I went with the automatic in the JL because it truly is an excellent transmission. You can run larger tires without regearing whereas a manual you will definitely need to regear. Yes, at times I wish I had the control and connection a manual gives you, but when I am stuck in 5:00 traffic I have zero regrets. It is also buttery smooth.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
None.

I owned four Wranglers with the 6-speed manual. They were loads of fun, but this 8-speed automatic is so good I don’t miss the manual one bit.

Besides, I discovered that off-roading with an automatic transmission is 100 x easier!

Full disclosure: I also own a Fiat 124 Spider with manual transmission, so I get my fix driving that.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I’ve driven manual transmissions my whole life, and I still had a manual TJ until a few months ago, but I don’t have the habits you describe, perhaps because I drive several different vehicles, automatic and manual, every week.

The new automatic is mostly great, particularly in traffic. It’s also nice to have a free hand for the coffee. Downshifting for engine breaking works fine too. My only regret is the loss of a vehicle that would have been good to teach the grandkids how to drive on, as I still believe people should be able to drive a manual even if they choose to drive automatic.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
None. I have had a few manuals in the past, love them. Autos are getting so good lately there won't be manuals in a few years, or they will be a decent upcharge, as opposed to the discount they used to be.

I get my shifting fix on two wheels now.

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
None. I have had a few manuals in the past, love them. Autos are getting so good lately there won't be manuals in a few years, or they will be a decent upcharge, as opposed to the discount they used to be.

I get my shifting fix on two wheels now.
all of Europe drives manuals.. there will definitely still be manuals around.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
None at all. I've driven manuals my whole life (and I'm gettin' old). I've built hot rods and jeeps. I've drag raced, even then I was always a 3 pedal guy. My GT500, my SRTs were all manuals and I loved them. When the 8 speed came out and I got to see how good a job they did with the tcm in that thing I was really impressed. (I'm a software engineer) I switched to an auto when I got my hellcat challenger in 2016. That things shifted so much better than I ever could. It can skip gears upshifting and sown shifting, knew when to up shift, it knew when to down shift, it knew when to hold a gear even if I wasn't on the throttle yet. it knew when I wanted spirited driving and when I didn't. So when I traded that car in for my jeep it was a no brainer. The torque multiplication that comes with having a torque converter, the really low first gear, the overdrives and the extra gears in between. That transmission always seems to be in the right rpm band. Going from a 700hp V8 to the 2.0T, the auto was a no brainer. Even if the 2.0 could be had with a manual I'd have opt'd for the auto.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets at all going automatic. I've driven manuals for years (4x4 & sports cars) and love the 8sp.

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I grew up on manual transmissions and I truly still enjoy them. Having said that I have been diving automatics for a while now. I sometimes use the auto stick feature on a back road, not a manual but it can still be fun. By the way, no one in our family (nieces and nephews) under the age of 40 have a clue on how to drive a manual.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
all of Europe drives manuals.. there will definitely still be manuals around.
My buddy in England went to autos a few years ago. I believe his M4 DCT was his first. He felt shame, but admitted the performance was better.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nope! Most of my many vehicles over the years were sticks. I still like to drive them but I do NOT miss stop and go traffic in a stick.
Sponsored