Sponsored

Any engine with ESS

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
My problem with the Wrangler start stop, is the idiots buried the second battery in the bowels of the engine bay, and requires quite a bit of work to replace that battery. Everything else I press the button to disable, also my foot knows the sweet spot on the brakes that doesn't trigger the ESS.

Burying the battery is extremely idiotic especially for a vehicle like the Wrangler.
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, but ESS is a system that requires no awareness or decision-making from users to reduce fuel burn. It adds to the already obvious benefits of reducing drag, driving sensibly, and maintaining your vehicle.

Why more now? It's surely more reliable and less intrusive than in the past.

My problem with the Wrangler start stop, is the idiots buried the second battery in the bowels of the engine bay, and requires quite a bit of work to replace that battery. Everything else I press the button to disable, also my foot knows the sweet spot on the brakes that doesn't trigger the ESS.

Burying the battery is extremely idiotic especially for a vehicle like the Wrangler.
But how often are most people going to need to ever worry about it? I know there's plenty of people on the forum that have had issues with it, but given the massive production numbers of JLs, it's not that widespread of an issue.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
On hybrid vehicles with large battery packs, electric AC compressor and a generator that reverses function to spin the engine to restart it, ESS is fine. Utilizing a conventional starter and losing all AC when it activates is a pain in the butt. Had a VW Jetta rental a few weeks ago. The car was black. Outside temps were high 90s and bright sunshine. The ESS was cooking me at stoplights until I finally found the button to turn it off.
I haven't left mine on long enough to determine if it smart enough to protect the turbo if EGTs are still high?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
...I haven't left mine on long enough to determine if it smart enough to protect the turbo if EGTs are still high?
Why would EGTs be high if your engine is off? You're talking soakback from high load just before ESS activated? I'm sure there's some sort of parameter for oil temp or turbo temp for those equipped that is an input to the ESS readiness calculation.

Sponsored

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would EGTs be high if your engine is off? You're talking soakback from high load just before ESS activated? I'm sure there's some sort of parameter for oil temp or turbo temp for those equipped that is an input to the ESS readiness calculation.
Same reason there is section in the diesel supplement telling us how long to idle before shutting down based on how hard the engine has been working.
In this case the EGT temp would be a proxy for the temps of the turbo itself.
Surely it watches the EGT to determine whether it can shut off or not?
In my truck I have an Edge Insight and always let it idle until EGT-1 is close to 400. When dragging the fifthwheel and pulling into a rest stop from interstate speeds that temp can be as high as 800 degrees.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Yeah, but ESS is a system that requires no awareness or decision-making from users to reduce fuel burn. It adds to the already obvious benefits of reducing drag, driving sensibly, and maintaining your vehicle.

But how often are most people going to need to ever worry about it? I know there's plenty of people on the forum that have had issues with it, but given the massive production numbers of JLs, it's not that widespread of an issue.
It's not a worry until you are stuck in the snow somewhere and have to change the battery. It's completely stupid to bury that battery.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
My dad's 70's era golf cart has ess and it operates flawlessly to this day. Its super convenient when hopping in and out during multiple short stops while mending fences on the farm. You just have to remember to turn the ignition to off when done for the day. If the battery does get weak, it's easily accessible by flipping the bed up to hook up the charger. I'm sure the starter has been replaced a couple of times but it too is easy to get at.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad's 70's era golf cart has ess and it operates flawlessly to this day. Its super convenient when hopping in and out during multiple short stops while mending fences on the farm. You just have to remember to turn the ignition to off when done for the day. If the battery does get weak, it's easily accessible by flipping the bed up to hook up the charger. I'm sure the starter has been replaced a couple of times but it too is easy to get at.
Belt driven starter and low compression 10hp engine

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

I like ESS but it needs awareness and decision making when the engine has stopped and you want to pull off in a hurry, like at the lights to ahead for various reasons. Sometimes you've driven it hard and you come to a stop and it can't be good for the engine because the coolant pump runs by belt.

Turning the ESS off and on as needed is something I do as a part of driving just like using signals.
Sponsored