Any Audiophiles here?

lhigham

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Hybrid
Just some thoughts while I'm waiting for our 4xe, apparently held up be Gorilla Glass, so I have no actual reference to the system.
Hello @GATORB8 - what did you end up doing in the 4xe, if anything, to upgrade the Alpine system?

Thanks,
L
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hello @GATORB8 - what did you end up doing in the 4xe, if anything, to upgrade the Alpine system?

Thanks,
L
I haven’t done anything yet, but have identified that my previous post won’t work. There’s a video of an Apline tech doing a presentation on YouTube that identifies crossover points. The dash isn’t tweeters, it almost full range, and the kick panels are just mid base, not standard mids.

As such, the 3.5s are the most important part of the system, and tweeters won’t accomplish the required frequency range.

Last edited:

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
To echo some of the older folks here, I'm pleased with the Alpine system as it sits and won't be spending any money on it nor replacing it. I do wish that my equalizer setting would have the same affect on radio, Sirius and the plug-in phone, but it does not seem to be the case. I listen mostly through my plugged in phone and have the settings for that. I find it loud enough (I'm in my mid-fifties) and actually like the sound. While I really do enjoy the way my Bose headphones sound at home (probably doesn't make me an audiophile), I find the upgraded Alpine system better than good enough.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Does anyone know a good portable plug in CD player that will plug into my 8.4 system so I can play my music, since no prerecorded thumb drives or whatever exist? Thanks

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Does anyone know a good portable plug in CD player that will plug into my 8.4 system so I can play my music, since no prerecorded thumb drives or whatever exist? Thanks
I don’t know that any “good” manufacturers still make them.

Are you trying to listen to old CDs? I haven’t used a CD in years, but you used to be able to rip a CD directly into your iTunes library on a computer.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Spotify is free, can't just use your phone?

In saying that. All portable CD players can plug into the 3.5mm stereo jack. Just gotta get a cable (3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo) It's finding a portable CD player that's the hard part. I reccomend a thrift shop or marketplace.....

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I don’t know that any “good” manufacturers still make them.

Are you trying to listen to old CDs? I haven’t used a CD in years, but you used to be able to rip a CD directly into your iTunes library on a computer.
yes

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Spotify is free, can't just use your phone?

In saying that. All portable CD players can plug into the 3.5mm stereo jack. Just gotta get a cable (3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo) It's finding a portable CD player that's the hard part. I reccomend a thrift shop or marketplace.....
thanks

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I'm just thankful that I'm fully microchipped... I mean vaxxed... and have antennae growing out of my ears. I can get all those evil left wing radio stations and music directly in my head. I am a Demoncrap so it's very important not to miss any deepstate messages.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve got a pair of Shure 535s and appreciate the sound quality… in a quiet room.

My JL is so damn noisy that I believe it’s a fools errand to pursue better audio.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Adding in a DSP makes a HUGE difference.
I initially did the speaker swap, wasn’t that impressed. Some people are but I felt some channels sounded worse due to the Alpine amp and how it feeds the different channels. Wish they were all full band.
Anyway I ended up adding a Rockford DSR-1, think they are out of production, and an external amp. Had DSP programmed at car audio shop.
The difference is night and day. I really didn’t want to spend that much money it I am happy with the sound now. Much better, and cleaner when played loud.
To be fair I think the Alpine is pretty decent for what it is (stock system).

lhigham

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t done anything yet, but have identified that my previous post won’t work. There’s a video of an Apline tech doing a presentation on YouTube that identifies crossover points. The dash isn’t tweeters, it almost full range, and the kick panels are just mid base, not standard mods.

As such, the 3.5s are the most important part of the system, and tweeters won’t accomplish the required frequency range.
Okay so we're in the same boat (as it were).

What I originally wanted to do : remove Alpine external amp ; connect the 8" head unit to a Rockford DSR1 via CH4 cable to 1xFocal 1.350 to Stealthbox sub + 1xFocal 4.800 to drive Hertz 163.3 Pro 3 ways in the fronts (metra pods) and 163.5 Pro 2 ways in the soundbar (ssl works adapters). Total increase would have been +65 amps vs. the 12 volt battery. (-25 removing the stock amp + 30+60=65). Notes: (a) 4xe has no alternator. (b) My local Jeep dealer has said "we don't think it will cause problems but if it does you will have invalidated your guarantee - not sure how far they'd push that but I guess worst case for the entire electrical system, the idea of which has turned me off from adding amps at this point.

For now I've popped in some JBL 322F 3.5s in the front dashjust to try (Infinity and Kenwood aren't available where I live). Sound quality is better than the Alpine 3.5s for sure. These JBLs don't fit in the soundbar without drilling new (small) mounting holes and really the fronts so much louder than the factory speakers in the rest of the system that I think having them in the soundbar would be way too much upper freqs so I just pulled the 3.5s out of the soundbar for the moment. Not good to have nothing attached on those channels I guess but it's temporary.

Next plan is to try the Hertz 163.5 Pro 2 ways in the fronts and the soundbar directly attached (so not using the Hertz crossovers) to the factory cabling and factory external Alpine amplifer. My hope is that as the Hertzs are efficient (92db) they'll be driven well enough with the output from the Alpine amp which, from what I've seen, puts out 552 watts into 12 channels (4 channels to the 4 voice coil sub and one channel each to the other 8 speakers). So maybe 46 per channel but not sure if that's peak or RMS. Assuming peak then maybe 23 RMS but not sure if that's into 2,4,8 or some other impedance so it's a bit of a guess as to how well it'll work.

JL Audio says the Stealthbox (if you were going that way) may not fit (Crutchfield led me wrong on this) due to the higher floor in the 4xe so I'm going to see how it sounds with the above and keeping the stock Alpine sub in the back.

YIKinSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2Dr
Okay so we're in the same boat (as it were).

What I originally wanted to do : remove Alpine external amp ; connect the 8" head unit to a Rockford DSR1 via CH4 cable to 1xFocal 1.350 to Stealthbox sub + 1xFocal 4.800 to drive Hertz 163.3 Pro 3 ways in the fronts (metra pods) and 163.5 Pro 2 ways in the soundbar (ssl works adapters). Total increase would have been +65 amps vs. the 12 volt battery. (-25 removing the stock amp + 30+60=65). Notes: (a) 4xe has no alternator. (b) My local Jeep dealer has said "we don't think it will cause problems but if it does you will have invalidated your guarantee - not sure how far they'd push that but I guess worst case for the entire electrical system, the idea of which has turned me off from adding amps at this point.

For now I've popped in some JBL 322F 3.5s in the front dashjust to try (Infinity and Kenwood aren't available where I live). Sound quality is better than the Alpine 3.5s for sure. These JBLs don't fit in the soundbar without drilling new (small) mounting holes and really the fronts so much louder than the factory speakers in the rest of the system that I think having them in the soundbar would be way too much upper freqs so I just pulled the 3.5s out of the soundbar for the moment. Not good to have nothing attached on those channels I guess but it's temporary.

Next plan is to try the Hertz 163.5 Pro 2 ways in the fronts and the soundbar directly attached (so not using the Hertz crossovers) to the factory cabling and factory external Alpine amplifer. My hope is that as the Hertzs are efficient (92db) they'll be driven well enough with the output from the Alpine amp which, from what I've seen, puts out 552 watts into 12 channels (4 channels to the 4 voice coil sub and one channel each to the other 8 speakers). So maybe 46 per channel but not sure if that's peak or RMS. Assuming peak then maybe 23 RMS but not sure if that's into 2,4,8 or some other impedance so it's a bit of a guess as to how well it'll work.

JL Audio says the Stealthbox (if you were going that way) may not fit (Crutchfield led me wrong on this) due to the higher floor in the 4xe so I'm going to see how it sounds with the above and keeping the stock Alpine sub in the back.
I've looked at many options (since I have the 5" LCD basic unit) and also would like some decent sound (above/around wind noise). Since I have the two door, I've spoken with the Alpine tech support and am going to try the following:

Alpine PSS-23WRA - great option for space saving as sub and amp fit under passenger seat (with a mounting bracket the bastards won't sell separately), and then R tweeters replace top of dash stock units. Found this on ebay for $700.
Also adding Alpine R S65 coaxials to the soundbar with Metra 1015 mods.
Ordered the Insane JL3001, which the tech at Alpine said should still be plug and play with the other new equipment.
Not sure what to do yet with the knee speakers, since they're such a pain. One tech did tell me they shouldn't be horrible with a decent DSP, which I'm hoping the JL3001 unit will work for. Would still like to hear (figuratively and literally) how your final setup sounds. I've read the Focals and Hertz (at least their better models) sound incredible with a decent amp.

lhigham

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was too annoyed at the crap that Alpine put in there as a "Premium" system to give them more money and I'm quite happy with the Hertz sound.

If you keep the stock head unit may need something like the pac amp pro to make it work. Try Crutchfield to see what they advise.
Sponsored