First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
I'm not gunna attack and say your Jeep is junk by anymeans, you spent your hard earned money to get it to where it is.. but omg to the vast majority public it sounds horrible.. busted tractor.. not even close to somewhat decent like the Ghibli motor.. could be the really long up pipe design they use even on V8's they can sound like tractors too... just not a fan. I do hope it stays together well for you though!!!

OP
OP

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Ya I miss the v8 sound for sure, lol.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
POOF

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I used to enjoy some of their videos when their jeep was basically stock but once they started to push different products I couldn't help but find them both extremely annoying to listen to. Fun to watch them eat a little crow on this. Maybe they should have had their Jeep engineer buddy who designed the JL help them out. Surely he would know exactly what the problem was.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Not fun to watch as I’m literally working on dates/timing to have the Prodigy turbo installed and getting a good tune/tuner has been my biggest stress point. This didn’t help with that stress at all...

Edit- there’s a lot of pre-detonation talk with JL’s over in the 3.6 engine section of the forums... curious if that could be part of this issue?

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm not gunna attack and say your Jeep is junk by anymeans, you spent your hard earned money to get it to where it is.. but omg to the vast majority public it sounds horrible.. busted tractor.. not even close to somewhat decent like the Ghibli motor.. could be the really long up pipe design they use even on V8's they can sound like tractors too... just not a fan. I do hope it stays together well for you though!!!
It sounds like a fart-piped Honda yo!

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not fun to watch as I’m literally working on dates/timing to have the Prodigy turbo installed and getting a good tune/tuner has been my biggest stress point. This didn’t help with that stress at all...

Edit- there’s a lot of pre-detonation talk with JL’s over in the 3.6 engine section of the forums... curious if that could be part of this issue?
I wouldn't freak out those two are not as knowledgeable as they try to act. IMO a meth injection kit and a electronic boost controller would not be a bad idea. You put a spring in the wastegate that will yield a about 1/2 the recommended boost then use the controller to get you to the recommended boost level. Then you have 2 boost settings one at full boost and another on just the spring. If something isn't right then go to the lower boost setting and it might save you. The meth will cool down your ait's and make it like you had higher octane gas. The only pain in the ass is making sure you always have some meth on hand. Either way if those 2 had those 2 things they probably wouldn't have messed their engine up like they did even with the crappy tunes they had. They are right about one thing though and that is that having a tuner that knows what he is doing is critical.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
11.4:1 compression ratio plus turbo = problems. I've yet to see a 3.6 with a prodigy turbo being driven day to day not blow up.

Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
11.4:1 compression ratio plus turbo = problems. I've yet to see a 3.6 with a prodigy turbo being driven day to day not blow up.
I actually don't know a lot, but here is what I think.

According to Prodigy, their kit produces a boost of approx. 9psi

And I agree that putting a turbo on JL with such high compression ratio is asking for troubles. My 06 STi stock was on 8.2:1 and around 14psi boost. The atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi, so a 3.6L which make the JL piston produces 14.7x11.4= 167.58psi

My STi @ 8.2:1 with 14.7psi boost would produces (14.7+14) x 8.2= 235.34psi

Now back the Jeep with the Turbo Kit (14.7+9) x 11.4= 270.18psi

In other word, the JLU Turbo with engine internal that are not as good as the Subaru STi Engine, yet has an effective compression ration higher than the STi.

The STi ECU is built to handle a Turbo, so I was able to easily adjust the ignition timing at varies rpm and load, and suspect the JL ECU just isn't as good in comparison.

My 2 cents.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

And I agree that putting a turbo on JL with such high compression ratio is asking for troubles. My 06 STi stock was on 8.2:1 and around 14psi boost. The atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi, so a 3.6L which make the JL piston produces 14.7x11.4= 167.58psi

In other word, the JLU Turbo with engine internal that are not as good as the Subaru STi Engine, yet has an effective compression ration higher than the STi.

The STi ECU is built to handle a Turbo, so I was able to easily adjust the ignition timing at varies rpm and load, and suspect the JL ECU just isn't as good in comparison.

My 2 cents.
Makes sense to me. E46 has a compression ratio of 11.5:1, running 8 PSI of boost on a ESS supercharger kit that is mechanically reliable. E92 M3 ESS kit, 12.0:1 compression ratio and making 625 horses but here's the kicker: 6.5 PSI of boost. Higher compression ratio (0.5) and the company lowered boost by 1.5 PSI. Now, neither of those cars were designed to boost from the factory either, despite revving well north of 8,000 RPM, but I suspect that better internals (rod bearings excluded, those die on BMWs all. the. time.) and the lower amounts of boost play a part in longevity.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My 2 cents.
I have a turbo on my pickup. The motor is a LQ9 which has a compression ratio of 10:1. I live in Phoenix where we only have 91 octane premium. I ran 14 psi of boost on that which by your math would be higher than all of those but I did run meth injection on top of everything. Never had a problem. I've since switched to flex fuel fuel and rarely run 91 anymore but I'm still running 5 years after the turbo install on a stock bottom end making over 800rwhp.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I would think the PSI in the cylinder is only half the equation. The other half is how robustly built the block, cylinder heads, rods, etc are built. There are motors you can safely boost, and there are motors you can't. Because of that, comparing the PSI in one motor to another doesn't really tell you anything, IMO.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I used to enjoy some of their videos when their jeep was basically stock but once they started to push different products I couldn't help but find them both extremely annoying to listen to. Fun to watch them eat a little crow on this. Maybe they should have had their Jeep engineer buddy who designed the JL help them out. Surely he would know exactly what the problem was.
I generally agree but they actually go after Prodigy pretty hard in this video which was a nice change of pace.

Also not to defend them but don't give them too much crap for knowing someone as I'm in the same boat. You never know who people know.
Sponsored