Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yeah....thats a cool true story bro. But the fact is that people looking to turbo or supercharge their JL are obviously doing it to get more power. The point is that may of us are trying to gauge if it is worth the cost or not to do so. I doubt anyone is looking to turn their Jeep into a sports car, so it's not helpful to make comments like that. The point is, is the juice worth the squeeze? From what I've seen so far, it probably isn't.

I just want something that feels really responsive, has a ton of torque, and feels like it spins 37s effortlessly. Maybe a supercharger is under development right now that would get me that, IDK, but I haven't felt like the reactions I've seen have been overwhelmingly glowing.
Problem with a supercharger that will do that will end up breaking the transmission pretty quickly.
Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Problem with a supercharger that will do that will end up breaking the transmission pretty quickly.
Let's see some evidence to support that claim. I'm not aware of any JL PD superchargers out there on the market yet that are eating up transmissions.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
IDK, the ZF transmission is proven across many high power applications. Maybe the specific version FCA is using isnt rated for a ton of torque, but I wonder how different it really is (e.g. ratings are designed to move higher prices, and fundamentally they are all very similar).

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Let's see some evidence to support that claim. I'm not aware of any JL PD superchargers out there on the market yet that are eating up transmissions.
A centrifugal supercharger is ok. A roots style blower won’t work very long if you like to use heavy throttle. This ZF trans is not the big beefy one from the trucks. It’s rated at 330-360 input. The lower you make the torque the worse it is for these trans. This comes from a Jeep engineer who helped design the JL.

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A centrifugal supercharger is ok. A roots style blower won’t work very long if you like to use heavy throttle. This ZF trans is not the big beefy one from the trucks. It’s rated at 330-360 input. The lower you make the torque the worse it is for these trans. This comes from a Jeep engineer who helped design the JL.
Not really buying that where you make your power in the rpm band is going to make that big of a difference. As far as peak numbers go a PD supercharger will probably be the lowest and the only place it might be any harder on the trans is from a dead stop but I doubt it would be any harder on it than break boosting a turbo from a dig. Plus this comes straight from a cousin of a friend who knew this girl who once blew Lee Iacocca! lol

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Not really buying that where you make your power in the rpm band is going to make that big of a difference. As far as peak numbers go a PD supercharger will probably be the lowest and the only place it might be any harder on the trans is from a dead stop but I doubt it would be any harder on it than break boosting a turbo from a dig. Plus this comes straight from a cousin of a friend who knew this girl who once blew Lee Iacocca! lol
Ok let me get the guy who works at FCA In here because my word and all the time and effort we spend researching and modding our jeep is Worth very little it seems.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok let me get the guy who works at FCA In here because my word and all the time and effort we spend researching and modding our jeep is Worth very little it seems.
Don't get salty because you made a statement that you have absolutely zero real world proof that it is true. PD superchargers aren't even out on market yet for the JL. I think it's comical.

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
A lot of people underestimate the 3.6 I feel. I ran a Sprintex (dyno tuned to 305whp from 210stock) on that engine with 35s (ran a 14.8 1/4) and then 40's and *shocker* Dana 44's and street raced literally every single person that would give me the time of day. I also drove it far harder than I do even my motorcycles. I wheeled the shit out of it, ran a rally course sliding it and banging it off redline every opportunity. I say this because my intention was to use that $3000 used SC to blow up my 3.6 so I could swap in an LS3 I have sitting around... It never blew up and I promise you I tried. Snapped 3 belts but that is it. I wasn't rock bouncing but my friend Rick can attest to it's punishment because we wheeled ours a ton. Was it perfect? Not really. Gas mileage? LOL, non-existent under light throttle so I just drove it hard everywhere. Power down low-mid was fun but the whole time, I would sit thinking I wish I had the turbo kit. Looking forward to meeting yal down at JeepBeach and checking it out! Dream goal on the JLU is couple snails on my LS poking out the hood. One can dream... until then, the numbers Kevin is putting out with the turbo is mighty appealing.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It was a sponsored kit but like with all our sponsorships we make sure they agree that we are able to tell the truth about the product and we’re able to retain our credibility. I’m not willing to just throw that out for free parts. We will provide updates as things progress.
Looking forward to the review. So far I dont think I need the turbo, but that always changes as time goes on. We all like power. lol

I know nothing about turbo's curious if you HAVE to run Premium gas all the time. I would be great if it has that flexibility.

Also I think I saw a different hood on the jeep. Why?

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
3 months from install to KABOOM. And Kev is experienced in boost; so for someone less experienced the kaboom could have been much sooner.....

Not inspiring.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Agreed. Pretty scary that it blew so fast.