CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
According to the log as I hit WOT the boost instead of being limited to 8 psi spiked to 29 pst at which time the engine gave up, no wonder.
There's likely a different explanation - let me explain why. When you are building a turbo application, sizing of the turbo is very important. For the best possible performance, you want to be on-boost as early in the RPM range as possible to 1) mitigate turbo lag, and; 2) provide as much power under the curve as possible. In order to do this, you want to select as small of a turbo as possible - and which will still deliver the desired level of boost. The smaller the turbo, the lighter the impeller and the faster you can get it to spool. (This is also one of the principles in twin turbos - where each turbo can be smaller, lighter and faster-spooling than a single larger turbo.) In your example, 8 psi was likely the approximate max-boost Prodigy was looking for and as such the chosen turbo would simply be incapable of delivery even 15psi of boost let alone above 20psi.

It is so easy to armchair quarterback... but IMHO, it is almost inexcusable to have engine failures on a dyno. You have so many opportunities to do pre-runs up to limited rpms and limited boost. Each of these successive pulls provide you feedback that you are in control of the engine (the way that you think you are). Additionally, you want to have agreed "wave-off" figures for minimally boost and A/Fs and when/if someone spots an anomaly the pull is terminated - immediately.

We've used Turbosmart controllers many, many times and have inadvertently plumbed them incorrectly more times than I would like to admit but we've never had a bad controller. Its always the mass between the ears.
Sponsored

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTUR Demon Motor, 2018 JLUR 392 swap, 2015 JKU Rubi RIPP'd 392 swap, 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2017 F250 6.7, 2020 Corvette C8, 2016 Nissan GTR
I just spoke with Todd at Prodigy and let me expand on my explanation of my engine failure. I don’t in any way blame either Prodigy or my tuner OST Dyno. Fist let me say that I do have a Turbosmart single mode manual controller in line with my wastegate but it is completely shut off. My intent today was to test the latest tune first and see what the situation was and then if I thought I could add boost I would do so and test it again. My previous test showed a max boost of 7.8 psi. I was going to add a small amount to about 8.5 and see what happened. Unfortunately I did not get that far. Please don’t attribute my engine failure to either Prodigy or OST Dyno. It was just very bad luck. I still have the greatest of confidence in both support/suppliers. In fact Prodigy is doing their very best to help me recover from this unfortunate disaster. As always I will keep you followers informed with my situation.

Jim Love
Been following your thread. I'm running the RIPP on my JL, luckily no issues what so ever, but I'm not looking to push past where I'm at.

Not writing to get into the s/c turbo discussion. Just wanted to let you know, I did some work to my 6.4 JK at America's Most Wanted 4x4 in Holly Michigan. They have an amazing stock and availability of Mopar parts. They do engine swaps, and they probably have a new 3.6 take off from a JL. I know of three jl's they've swapped motors out of already. It's probably a much cheaper route to get a basically brand new engine. You can ask for Alex or Jared. Let them know Blue Waffle set you.

Sorry to hear about the motor, but issues always come up unfortunately.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can you post a pic of the front of your jeep with the intercooler?

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTUR Demon Motor, 2018 JLUR 392 swap, 2015 JKU Rubi RIPP'd 392 swap, 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2017 F250 6.7, 2020 Corvette C8, 2016 Nissan GTR
Can you post a pic of the front of your jeep with the intercooler?
Do you mean my RIPP, or Jim's turbo intercooler? mine is in my profile pic, I have more up on my ig @bluewafflejku

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I personally don't like the look of a big shiny intercooler behind the grill. For one 95% of the people on this plant have no idea what a intercooler is. For 2 why tip your hand to what you have under your hood to the people that do? I'd get some black radiator paint and try to keep it as unnoticeable as possible. Black also dissipates heat better than any other color to boot.

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Was hoping the intercooler fit behind the mesh. I really am not digging the look without the mesh. It looks half assed and yup we’re going Turbo Monday :)
I was not super keen on the no mesh either. I ended up modding the mesh to at least use on the outer sections. You could cut to shape and place across the top but it would be difficult to make the cuts look clean. It's very tight down low with the intercooler basically up against the front grill.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bluezlgnd

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Why spend $10k? The Edelbrock E-Force is slated to be out soon with similar power, a 36,000 mile full driveline warranty, and all for about $6k.
Just catching up on this thread late so sorry if these questions have been answered already. Does the prodigy turbo kit void the factory warranty? Has prodigy fixed the issue they were having around 75 to 80 mph? Any other new issues?

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes it voids all powertrain warranty. With the mesh in I was overheating on big hills or mountain passes so I had to pull the mesh. I have been working on the tuning as I drive across the country. There has been a LOT of changes made to the tuning by my own tuner since prodigy was really of no real help in updating the tuning. I know of a few other people having similar or worse issues than myself. We will have a video coming out in the next few weeks

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Yes it voids all powertrain warranty. With the mesh in I was overheating on big hills or mountain passes so I had to pull the mesh. I have been working on the tuning as I drive across the country. There has been a LOT of changes made to the tuning by my own tuner since prodigy was really of no real help in updating the tuning. I know of a few other people having similar or worse issues than myself. We will have a video coming out in the next few weeks
Good stuff Kevin, Ive made some serious strides in my daily manners with the tuning as well. What a world of difference once you get it dialed in. Looking forward to your next video.
Sponsored