Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

And several people would rather just tell me basically how stupid I am.
I didn't see anyone here say that.

And no I do not sit down every time I buy something and read the manual cover to cover who the hell does that.
You chose not to read the manual, plenty of people on here do.

No worries see you guys I’ll just start taking my question someplace else.
Your prerogative, but you came here asking a question and got the answer. It's not our fault you chose not to read the manual or know how and when to properly use 4 Hi.

OP
OP
Longhair1957

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
That is a list of vehicles over 40 years. At one point or another after driving a while in 4 hi. You may not take it out until you’re on asphalt.
show of hands, who all sat down at the dealer and read your manual cover to cover before you drove away from the dealership? I am getting through all of this new info. I’ve only got 500 miles on my vehicle it’s not like I’ve had this for thousands of miles and should know everything yet.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That is a list of vehicles over 40 years. At one point or another after driving a while in 4 hi. You may not take it out until you’re on asphalt.
show of hands, who all sat down at the dealer and read your manual cover to cover before you drove away from the dealership? I am getting through all of this new info. I’ve only got 500 miles on my vehicle it’s not like I’ve had this for thousands of miles and should know everything yet.
Over 40 years of driving 4x4 vehicles, and this is the first time anyone told you not to engage 4wd on pavement?

Sorry I was being a bit harsh, but you really should at least read the manual for one of these vehicles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

who all sat down at the dealer and read your manual cover to cover before you drove away from the dealership?
Not at the dealer, but the evening I got home with my new JL.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Not an expert, but I’m tracking 2 issues. This is a simplification. One is that even when open, tension can build up in the differential. It just “slips” internally, potentially causing damage. In 4L locked, there is no slip inside the diff, only tire slip or just breakage. The other issue is in 4hi, you still can build tension front to back, resulting in a hop that feels like it would have in 4L. A U-turn would maximize this tension as the front and rear wheels cover a different length arc when turning.

edit: after reading some of the comments, I’ll confess my own ignorant moment. Nobody taught me what syncros were when I learned stick in a car. I didn’t have them in any of the heavy equipment I learned on. I abused that poor tranny for a month before I stumbled across the reference online and learned what they do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Longhair1957

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
I’ve spent more time reading on this forum all the issues that everyone has, I’m getting pretty discouraged. The groaning abs / traction control issue has me trying to diagnose which problem I have. As stated I did this just to get it in 4 wheel to see if it gave same errors. It’s not like I was spinning donuts. I’ve found many answers to issues on this forum. I have been offroading for almost 50 years here in Az. But, this is the newest vehicle I own. (2021). Over the years they have added more electronic crap than I like. So I’m under a steep learning curve. I was happy using this forum as a reference point. I would like any of you to read your posts above, and tell me that some of you felt that acting like I’m an idiot, was the helpful way to answer me.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
show of hands, who all sat down at the dealer and read your manual cover to cover before you drove away from the dealership?
I downloaded the manual to read while researching which Jeep to buy, so I read through the manual before getting to the dealership. Does that count?

I also like to reference the manual when I can if I have questions. Call me crazy.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would like any of you to read your posts above, and tell me that some of you felt that acting like I’m an idiot, was the helpful way to answer me.
Again, I see no evidence of anyone saying you're an idiot. You asked a question regarding something you did, which should not have been done. This was pointed out to you in response to your question. How you choose to interpret the response is entirely your call. However, I should point out that you have mentioned owning 4wd vehicles previously. That being said, that indicates to most on these forums (that tend to answer questions like yours), that you have some knowledge of how 4wd systems work and that you should not drive on pavement in it.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Read the friggin manual. If you have to ask a question that’s covered in the manual then maybe you should not purchase a 4wd vehicle. Don’t mean to offend anyone but really people. Have I missed something. Do they still teach reading, writing and arithmetic in our schools. You don’t put a jeep in 4wd unless you need it and not on dry pavement or hardback.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’ve spent more time reading on this forum all the issues that everyone has, I’m getting pretty discouraged. The groaning abs / traction control issue has me trying to diagnose which problem I have. As stated I did this just to get it in 4 wheel to see if it gave same errors. It’s not like I was spinning donuts. I’ve found many answers to issues on this forum. I have been offroading for almost 50 years here in Az. But, this is the newest vehicle I own. (2021). Over the years they have added more electronic crap than I like. So I’m under a steep learning curve. I was happy using this forum as a reference point. I would like any of you to read your posts above, and tell me that some of you felt that acting like I’m an idiot, was the helpful way to answer me.
The two codes you got are pretty vague and you won't know until you hook up a professional scanner to it.

For the U0432 code which has to do with ABS and traction control, may be related to many reasons, one of them possibly driving in 4hi on pavement.

Also an off-centred steering wheel may trigger this code as well.

You should update your flashcal to latest firmware on your computer, connected via USB, per their instruction. Try to clear the codes and see if it comes back.

OP
OP
Longhair1957

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
The two codes you got are pretty vague and you won't know until you hook up a professional scanner to it.

For the U0432 code which has to do with ABS and traction control, may be related to many reasons, one of them possibly driving in 4hi on pavement.

Also an off-centred steering wheel may trigger this code as well.

You should update your flashcal to latest firmware on your computer, connected via USB, per their instruction. Try to clear the codes and see if it comes back.
Thank you, the u0432 first appeared while out off roading. Then came. Back after I had cleared it after I made that U-turn. I will try updating the firmware on the super chips and then go back and clear my errors and see if that solves my issue. Thank you for the good suggestion

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thank you, the u0432 first appeared while out off roading. Then came. Back after I had cleared it after I made that U-turn. I will try updating the firmware on the super chips and then go back and clear my errors and see if that solves my issue. Thank you for the good suggestion
First make sure your steering wheel is centred. (turn sleeve collar on drag-link)

Drive-line binding while in 4wd on pavement may cause steering wheel to be off-centred if your drag-link collar is lose and skip a few threads.

ABS system is usually expecting a certain wheel speed to know if you are slipping or not, and if it's not getting expected data range it will trigger this code.

Just one of many possible reasons.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I will try updating the firmware on the super chips and then go back and clear my errors and see if that solves my issue. Thank you for the good suggestion
Superchips dropped a pretty extensive update recently. Hopefully that will help clear the codes you’re seeing.
Sponsored