Another flat tow question

Mdangelo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2dr
I finished towing my 2018 JL yesterday and noticed the odometer had rolled back 300+ miles. The transfer case was in neutral and the transmission was in park and the ignition was off. Any ideas why this may have happened?
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Towed ours 1,440 miles in July and no issue towing or the odometer moving plus or minus. All we did was transfer case in N and transmission in P. Ingnition OFF.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mdangelo

This makes little sense to me. As far as I know, this is not even possible.

How far did you flat tow and then saw...."the odometer had rolled back 300+ miles".

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Wish mine would do that. I'd make money going to Arizona in a couple of weeks

OP
OP

Mdangelo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2dr
@Mdangelo

This makes little sense to me. As far as I know, this is not even possible.

How far did you flat tow and then saw...."the odometer had rolled back 300+ miles".
Well in total 4400 miles. On the way out from Charlotte NC to Montana I saw no difference in the odometer. On the return the odometer was rolled back several hundred miles? The JL is fairly new, I towed it out with 1100 miles on it. We drove all around Yellowstone I never noticed how many miles I drove it when I was out west but out had to be several hundred. After I put the motor home away and started to head home from the storage yard I noticed my odometer was 800+ miles lower than the start of my trip? Strange but true.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mdangelo

Ok .... well, lets see if anyone has or in the future replies to you here and says they had a similar issue.

Very strange occurrence for sure.

OP
OP

Mdangelo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2dr
@Mdangelo

Ok .... well, lets see if anyone has or in the future replies to you here and says they had a similar issue.

Very strange occurrence for sure.
I started the JL yesterday morning, and the odometer read 1462 miles. That is where I think it should have been. No idea what happened, seems like some electronic glitch. I'm heading to the dealer to see what they have to say.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started the JL yesterday morning, and the odometer read 1462 miles. That is where I think it should have been. No idea what happened, seems like some electronic glitch. I'm heading to the dealer to see what they have to say.
@Mdangelo

Dealership Service Department will be clueless. Suggest for now, you just leave the JL alone.

Do monitor mileage on odometer more closely over the next few months.... if you see an issue again, an say a pattern then go from there regarding the dealership service department visit.

There have been a couple of times forum member's here, have reported lets say curious odometer readings. Some had a one time issue and a handful had repeated issues which required hardware replacement.

No way would I let a dealership tech, tear into, my or fool with my JL unless there was a problem ....Again, suggest you watch and wait.. to see if there really is a problem, that rears it's head again.

OP
OP

Mdangelo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2dr
@Mdangelo

Dealership Service Department will be clueless. Suggest for now, you just leave the JL alone.

Do monitor mileage on odometer more closely over the next few months.... if you see an issue again, an say a pattern then go from there regarding the dealership service department visit.

There have been a couple of times forum member's here, have reported lets say curious odometer readings. Some had a one time issue and a handful had repeated issues which required hardware replacement.

No way would I let a dealership tech, tear into, my or fool with my JL unless there was a problem ....Again, suggest you watch and wait.. to see if there really is a problem, that rears it's head again.

Thank you sounds like good advice!

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Are you sure you weren't looking at a trip meter?
Sponsored