Sponsored

Annoying quiet rattle cold engine

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Which engine do you have?
My 2019 Rubicon with 2.0 L and 11,500 miles has a ticking sound, engine cold, until driving a few blocks out of the neighborhood. Sound goes away when warmed up. (to me sounded similar to exhaust tick or lifter tick noise).
Took it in and left it overnight for a dash rattle and Jeep service advisor rode with me on a cold start up next morning and said it was injector noise. They're still searching for the dash rattle.
Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Just a thought regarding premium fuel. Given the cost of gas these days it occurs to me that stations may be selling a lot less (of premium) these days. Makes me wonder if the stations are sitting on old gas . Perhaps seek out stations with high volume to minimize the chance of getting old gas .........or buy regular which everyone buys and throw in some octane boost.

Anyone ever datalog a Jeep?
I wondered that same thing, old gas, not so much with the noise but I can't tell you the last time I saw anyone pump anything but the cheapest octane.

My 2.0 sounds like a diesel on startup as well.

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I have the 3.6 and automatic trans. I’ve tried all types of gas from different stations and nothing changes. I’m almost starting to think it’s the trans. Imagine sitting in the jeep with doors shut and windows closed and someone goes underneath it with a plastic cup and a spoon and starts gently tapping on the bottom of the cup. That’s how it sounds lol. Weird comparison, I know, but that’s how it sounds. The speed of the little knock does not change, only the volume level does. The more load, the louder it gets. When the transmission is shifting between gears the noise disappears for that half a second and comes right back when driving through the next gear. And the noise is completely gone after about a 2-3 mile drive. Does not matter wether the jeep has been warmed up with remote start or not.

OP
OP
Qjoh5510

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Oh, and I run mid grade 89 octane gas. Occasionally I’ll hit up the premium 93

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
Oils are super thin now and parts are made cheaply. I would say its a timing chain tensioner. or maybe lifters taking their sweet to pump up. Possibly a rocker arm .I have seen this with other makes.
If its consistent when cold start(so technician can duplicate). i would take to dealer, they would most likely need to keep it over night.
The fuel theory I would say it would would definitely ping when it gets hotter and not go away when the engine warms up. ..