Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I decided I didn't like the look of the plastic plugs where rear sensors would go (don't have them) in my RockHard aluminum bumper, so:

F049550F-A9B6-4788-96CC-1DA6E6852B73.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
That makes sense. Hope the pics help.
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! bumper measure 2
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! bumper measure

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided I didn't like the look of the plastic plugs where rear sensors would go (don't have them) in my RockHard aluminum bumper, so:

very cool!

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion

I have the Rockhard Aluminum front bumper and am considering their rear product. Are you sure your rear is aluminum? I can only find steel on their website?

Like you, I don't have rear sensors and LOVE your LED application.... What LED product did you use and how did you install them? Thanks !!!

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Rockhard Aluminum front bumper and am considering their rear product. Are you sure your rear is aluminum? I can only find steel on their website?

Like you, I don't have rear sensors and LOVE your LED application.... What LED product did you use and how did you install them? Thanks !!!
I also would like to know more about the led lights used in place of the plastic plugs, very cool idea.

As far as the aluminum rear, I can't speak for the others, but the one I have is aluminum. it is model number [RH-90340]

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly

Yeah : https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90340.htm
The LED's are just some cheap ones off of Amazon :
LEADTOPS Eagle Eye LED Lights,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N30U3CY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I installed the LED's using the sensor adapters that came with the RH bumper and a washer. They fit perfectly. I wired them into one of my aux switches so that I could use them for lighting at campsites, etc.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Yeah : https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90340.htm
The LED's are just some cheap ones off of Amazon :
LEADTOPS Eagle Eye LED Lights,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N30U3CY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I installed the LED's using the sensor adapters that came with the RH bumper and a washer. They fit perfectly. I wired them into one of my aux switches so that I could use them for lighting at campsites, etc.

Ahhh, ok I see your bumper now. My confusion was because I'm wanting the
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90301.htm
with the swing-bracket to take the weight of my 37" spare off the tailgate and to add some other accessory mounting options.
From what I can tell, that one comes only in steel.

I will still use your LED idea though! Thanks again !!

Hainliner

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Thank you everyone for contributing to this post. I am glad to have a place to read more about actual experience with aluminum bumpers.

I'm for sure leaning towards Al in the front and the rock hard is my current top choice but it was great to read more about the other options to consider.

I'll add them to my research spreadsheet and keep the hunt going.

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
I have a Genright Front aluminum that I really like. Winch sits low as to no block airflow which is important if you live in the Desert lol. I haven't decided on a rear yet so glad I found this post. My rear is barely hanging as is but need rock sliders first.
Jeep Wrangler JL ALUMINUM bumpers ONLY. Let's see them! 49AD7AC5-D26D-4E12-94AA-6FD93B466CC2.JPG

Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Looks great. I've got mine coming this week. Did you need to extend the fog lights harness?
Even though he did not, yours may not bolt right up. Rubicon fog lights are apparently different from other trim's fog lights.

SaltySoul

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Even though he did not, yours may not bolt right up. Rubicon fog lights are apparently different from other trim's fog lights.
2018 Rubicon here... guess I'll find out from the shop this weekend!

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the Barricade Alloy 3/4 bumper. I was not a fan of the stubby bumpers they simply do not provide much on road protection, great if you are a rock climber but that is about all they are good for. Full width bumper create issue for larger tires and the whole point of Alloy is to reduce weight. I found the barricade Allo 3/4 bumper and it is a great mid size bumper.
All Lights on.jpg
What are you using for a lower skid plate beneath the bumper?

Last edited:

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am torn between the Rock Hard aluminum Patriot mid-width, vs. Barricade Alloy series.

I prefer the aesthetics of the Barricade, and it is 1/2 the price of the Rock Hard.

I am wondering why? The Rock Hard aluminum appears to be about 2mm thicker than the Barricade, which could be significant for durability.

I will be adding some kind of 10,000# winch. I am replacing a Rubicon plastic bumper, and it would be a bonus if my factory LED fog lights are compatible.

What other pros/cons am I missing?

Has anyone else struggled between these two?
Sponsored

Last edited: