Sponsored

Alpine Stereo Headunit Factory Replacement - Pricing, Release Date, Demo

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I'm an old school car stereo and high end home audio guy. $3k is insane for this system. Some better and cheaper options will come out eventually if you're willing to wait. The Alpine systems for the JK were way over priced too. And here's the real kicker....Alpine really isn't that great as a brand and hasn't been for 30 years. Some of their amps and speakers are decent, but they've sort of become the Bose of car stereo where they place more emphasis on marketing than cutting edge technology and quality. That's just my opinion, but I've designed and installed car audio systems since the mid-80s.

Jeep went full-retard on the JL stereo design. The move to 4 inch speakers was a major fail. And it's not like the Wranglers are nice and quiet like a European sedan. The JK stock radios were crap, but at least you could find nice aftermarket stuff to fit at a reasonable price. I spent <$2k building my JK system and it sounds better than any factory system I've heard, and still sounds decent with the top off.

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Thanks. What are the advantages of this system vs the option OEM 8.4 inch?
I would be really impressed and might even buy it if it...I don't know. WORKS!!!

My 8.4 hasn't worked properly since I bought my '19 JLUR in April and the dealers can't fix it.

Jimmysmith01

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Ridiculous pricing and will still sound like garbage if you don't replace all the speakers and add a sub!

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
3K for a stereo? No thank you.

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Thanks. What are the advantages of this system vs the option OEM 8.4 inch?
You retain all the factory features while adding all the usual benefits of an aftermarket radio, so things like:

-3 sets of pre outs (4V)
-preset and user adjustable EQ settings (9 band)
-crossover settings for each pre out
-time alignment
-volume control for subwoofer
-ability to play flac files
-larger screen
-HDMI port in/out
-multiple camera inputs (rear, front, side)

The concept of adding those features without having to lose factory features is great but just like with the JK I think there will eventually be better options for less money than the Alpine restyle radios.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
In speaking with them at a recent Quadratec event, I was told the factory integrations are not built into the radio but are done rather through those adapter-type boxes made by third parties. That is enough for me to not be willing to pull the trigger on this. Not that the high price wasn't enough on its own.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You retain all the factory features while adding all the usual benefits of an aftermarket radio, so things like:

-3 sets of pre outs (4V)
-preset and user adjustable EQ settings (9 band)
-crossover settings for each pre out
-time alignment
-volume control for subwoofer
-ability to play flac files
-larger screen
-HDMI port in/out
-multiple camera inputs (rear, front, side)

The concept of adding those features without having to lose factory features is great but just like with the JK I think there will eventually be better options for less money than the Alpine restyle radios.
Thanks. still seems ridiculously priced.

Sponsored

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
1299 with wireless CarPlay and you’ve got my cash. Else. Buzz off

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Kenwood has a couple of models that fit the JL. They don't have all the integrated switches and stuff but they're about 1/10th the price!

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Insane Audio is releasing their JL3001 at SEMA. My eyes are on that!
I bet it looks just like the generic chinese ones on ebay. hehe.

(Quick edit) You're really paying for the software and support with those, from what I recall, the JK unit had some neat custom Jeep-minded apps, and given the small market for them, it's probably not a bad deal.

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
3k LOL. Does nothing any more special than the regular stock radio? Is there seriously any person that is dumb enough to buy this? Remember when after market radios were actually attainable?
Sponsored