Alpine x409 headunit installed. Review and first thoughts

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So the $1400 question is: Is it twice as good as the Insane JL3001? Those are supposed to ship in next 2 weeks (if not already).
Or for that matter, 5 times as good as the Phoenix unit.
Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

So the $1400 question is: Is it twice as good as the Insane JL3001? Those are supposed to ship in next 2 weeks (if not already).
Or for that matter, 5 times as good as the Phoenix unit.
More to the question for me was, how was the support? I have owned many Alpine products over the years. With the sophistication f these units, software updates and map updates are a must. This is easy to screw up, as FCA has shown time and time again. I don't know what the track record of the company behind Insane JL is.

I am more worried about how well the unit will work three years from now, when I am using a new phone and Carplay or Android Auto have evolved. Will the updates be there from my stereo vendor?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
3 years from now it will be outdated, like most electronics. The higher tech and more modern version always on the way.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

3 years from now it will be outdated, like most electronics. The higher tech and more modern version always on the way.
I use plenty of electronics that are "outdated"... I keep my laptops for 5-6 years with no issues. At these price points, I expect support and updates from my vendor. That is how you keep from replacing your equipment every year.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Alpine doesn't come out with new radios all that often, so I wouldn't worry about it. They also don't do firmware updates that often afaik lol.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I finally got mine installed today

Overall, I love this thing. I wanted the bigger display unit for Carplay. i am happy with it.

After living with the Alpine X409 for a few weeks, what are your overall thoughts? How does the brightness, resolution, ambient light rejection and off axis viewing of the screen compare to the factory units?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I live in the Seattle area, so I really cannot comment on the effects of sunlight and glare on the screen! If you are not familiar with the area, we don't get a lot of sun this time of year..

So far, I like it. It works well with Carplay. I have not tried it with Android Auto yet.

The only nitpick I have is that I do like the way that XM Radio is treated as another "Radio Band" with AM and FM on the 7" Unconnect. Makes switching around radio stations rather seamless. I am either in Radio mode, or I am using Waze and listening to Podcasts on Carplay.

The Alpine treats XM radio as a separate application, which means I now have three User Interfaces (UI's) to deal with.. one for AM/FM Radio, one for XM, and one for Carplay... minor nitpick as things go. I can select AM, FM, and XM stations as "favorites".. the "Favorites items appear off the hotkey that looks like a star.

The other minor nitpick is that you have one USB port to work with for Carplay. Some folks have routed that to the console between the front seats. Keeps the phone hidden. I stuck with the default, and use the port in the center console. I replaced one of the silver screws on the passenger grab handle with a CMM "Ram Ball", and use the Ram Mount X Grip to hold my phone. The photo shows an Iphone 11 Max

Here is the parts list:

CMM JL Grab Bar Ball Mount: https://www.carolinametalmasters.com/products/jl-grab-bar-ball-mount
RAM Double Socket ARM (short) - https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-A
RAM X Grip Large - https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN10BU
12" USB to lightening cable.

DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I live in the Seattle area, so I really cannot comment on the effects of sunlight and glare on the screen! If you are not familiar with the area, we don't get a lot of sun this time of year..

So far, I like it. It works well with Carplay. I have not tried it with Android Auto yet.

The only nitpick I have is that I do like the way that XM Radio is treated as another "Radio Band" with AM and FM on the 7" Unconnect. Makes switching around radio stations rather seamless. I am either in Radio mode, or I am using Waze and listening to Podcasts on Carplay.

The Alpine treats XM radio as a separate application, which means I now have three User Interfaces (UI's) to deal with.. one for AM/FM Radio, one for XM, and one for Carplay... minor nitpick as things go. I can select AM, FM, and XM stations as "favorites".. the "Favorites items appear off the hotkey that looks like a star.

The other minor nitpick is that you have one USB port to work with for Carplay. Some folks have routed that to the console between the front seats. Keeps the phone hidden. I stuck with the default, and use the port in the center console. I replaced one of the silver screws on the passenger grab handle with a CMM "Ram Ball", and use the Ram Mount X Grip to hold my phone. The photo shows an Iphone 11 Max

Here is the parts list:

CMM JL Grab Bar Ball Mount: https://www.carolinametalmasters.com/products/jl-grab-bar-ball-mount

DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
I live in the area as well. What place did your install? I've been looking around and don't really want to go to Car Toys.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I live in the area as well. What place did your install? I've been looking around and don't really want to go to Car Toys.
I have the same reservations about Car Toys. That being said, I used Car Toys in Bellevue over on NE 20th St. They did a good job. I also had them install a Blackvue dash cam at the same time.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
You could say the same thing about the stock head units. My Acura from 4 years ago, fresh from a mid-cycle redesign, was fine when I bought it, feels extremely dated now. If you always wait for "The Next Big Thing", you never get anything. This unit isn't for me, but for those who want an upgrade, eventually they need to purchase something, they can't just sit around waiting for whats next.

Sponsored

SteveNYR

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Here is the parts list:

DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
I got 95% through the install ( so I thought) until the part where they say to plug in the USB. For the life of me I cant figure out when and where that was installed. I didnt even see it listed on the accessories pages in the instructions, nor did I see it addressed in the Quadratec video. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated

82295378_624194751701751_3440583513529647104_o.jpg

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You could say the same thing about the stock head units. My Acura from 4 years ago, fresh from a mid-cycle redesign, was fine when I bought it, feels extremely dated now. If you always wait for "The Next Big Thing", you never get anything. This unit isn't for me, but for those who want an upgrade, eventually they need to purchase something, they can't just sit around waiting for whats next.
I do and agree , you helped make my point. I avoid all fancy car electronics and instead have a current phone. Someday we will look back at these vehicles and wonder why they put old style console televisions built into the dash with heavy home theater 15 speakers big amps and woofers. Silly

Last edited:

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I do and agree , you helped make my point. I avoid all fancy car electronics and instead have a current phone. Someday we will look back at these vehicles and wonder why they put old style console televisions built into the dash with heavy home theater 15 speakers big amps and woofers. Silly
Someday...Until then, for those of us who appreciate higher-end music systems and large easy to read integrated touchscreens, it is awesome that we have lots of options!

rrsquid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I got 95% through the install ( so I thought) until the part where they say to plug in the USB. For the life of me I cant figure out when and where that was installed. I didnt even see it listed on the accessories pages in the instructions, nor did I see it addressed in the Quadratec video. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated

82295378_624194751701751_3440583513529647104_o.jpg
The Quadratec video show one end plugging into the box under the steering wheel. I didn't catch the dash media center install, so I'm not sure of that end.

I'm supposed to get 5 years of SiriusXM for free, I'll upgrade when that runs out.

JiujiteiroWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Can you still program the auxiliary buttons with this unit?
Sponsored