IcemanCS Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JL Rubicon 2-door
    Liked:
    #1 Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
    Having had the i209 on my JK I just had to have the x409 for my new JL. Installed yesterday. First thoughts after one day of use.

Admin edit:
    For some specs and video also see: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-replacement-pricing-release-date-demo.40980/

Cons:
    -The price!
    I did get a Black Friday deal of $2,750 which softened the blow... somewhat.

-Complex install
    They only charged for the quoted 2 hours of labor but that was because they hadn’t installed one before. The professional technician spent nearly seven hours on it. Very complicated, don’t try at home unless you have training/experience.

-CarPlay port
    CarPlay will only work from one usb port in the Alpine box that replaces the factory aux panel as part of the install. In my JK CarPlay would work from the port inside the center console which created less “cable mess.” Make sure you tell your technician you want CarPlay from inside the center console and there are some things they can do with extenders, etc.

-Safety Warning
    Unlike the i209 there is a bright green safety warning screen that requires you to “accept” before you can use the device. It does go away after a few seconds if you don’t press “accept” but still is slightly annoying.

-Climate Control screen
    Anytime you press a climate control button on the dash the screen shows the same “seat screen” as the old head unit which is annoying if you don’t want to look at it when simply changing temperature. There is an option to disable this from happening, but it didn’t work when the technician attempted to show me how to turn it off. He was going to call Alpine about the issue and get back to me.

Light color:
    -You can’t change the color that comes from the bottom. It is set to orange and that’s that. Looks like they wanted to match the hue coming from the gear box and a few other spots on the dash.

Pros:

-Too many too list! It really is incredible if you are able to bite the financial bullet. Not only does it look better in person, it also offers far superior options and experience than UConnect. The unit produces a much better audio signal to the Alpine upgraded sound system (WRA-23) that I also had installed after purchase and consequently the sound quality is much improved with this radio working with these components. The unit offers a lot of options and features that I wasn’t aware of until I read the manual, but it really does allow you to customize the device for personal taste. Also, when making calls through CarPlay the volume of the ring is very soft, but the voice of who you are calling is appropriate which seems different and a purposeful change from the i209. It also seems to fade the voice of the person you are calling to the speaker above the driver seat but I’m not entirely sure this is the case at this point. The included GPS and “off road mode” button seems to offer a lot of pre-loaded trail info that I am looking forward to trying out.

HDMI input
    -Just purchased a lightning to HDMI that will go to one of the inputs in the installed aux plug box. This should allow phone mirroring and video playing. Didn’t realize this was an option until after the install and was a nice surprise.

That’s all for now...

62BAB3E6-2C07-4297-9E12-8B8F78098F9E.jpeg

DanW, cwmartin59, JAY and 6 others like this.
  2. KinderMojo

KinderMojo Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adel
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler Jl Sport S. GMC Sierra, Mercedes G63
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Was on the fence about this because of the pricetag.. but you may have just convinced me.. Thanks for the review..

3. Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    What about the customization of the AUX switches? On the stock system, you can control how the AUX switches function. I know Alpine built in the HVAC functions along with some other stuff only available on the stock screen, but did they also address the AUX settings? Thanks for the post!

4. multicam

multicam Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tanner
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Hot damn son!! That looks amazing. Way out of my price range but I’m glad someone out there is pulling the trigger; I want to see the JL’s audio-related aftermarket grow.

5. Cwu21

Cwu21 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    Silverado
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Nice write up, piggy backing off what @Sting_NC_USA said about the aux switches I would love to see more pics of/if you can customize the aux switches. I agree the price point is a hard pill to swallow but damn if that ain't one sexy set up :like:

6. johnparjr

johnparjr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sahara unlimited JL
    Liked:
    Who installed it

7. OP
    OP
    IcemanCS

IcemanCS Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JL Rubicon 2-door
    Liked:
    I'll post some aux switch info when I get some time later on, but to answer the other question I had it installed by Car Tunes in Roswell, Georgia.

8. algoo31

algoo31 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Albert
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport
    Liked:
    Any idea how this integrates with the JL Audio stealthbox?

9. weeitsmikelee

weeitsmikelee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    '18 Wrangler JLU; '15 Golf R; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Subscribed for more pics/info !

10. Cypher

Cypher Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Cybersecurity Leader
    Garage Profiles:
    That looks good, but as you noted that is a tough price to swallow. It actually reminds me of the new unit in the Grand Cherokee and a smaller version of what the rams get. I wonder if the JL will get a cleaner / larger screen option in a year or two allowing a factory upgrade? (I'm sure would be about the same price though).

that looks good, and I look forward to learning more about it as you use it more.

weeitsmikelee likes this.
  11. IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    OMG, there are so many more things I'd rather do to my JL than this :LOL:

GtX likes this.
  12. No IFS

No IFS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2021 Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    Does it have off road pages ?

13. Jeep_VB

Jeep_VB New Member

First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle(s):
    Ram 1500 Sport, Dodge Charger Scatpack
    Liked:
    For that price it should have wireless CarPlay, and should be able to work with any USB in the vehicle.

14. Rubi

Rubi Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    ‘18 Jeep JLR, Porsche
    Liked:
    How about the backup camera functionality?

15. johnparjr

johnparjr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sahara unlimited JL
    Liked:
    It works with the existing backup camera