Sponsored

Advanced Safety Package

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Had no use for it and was another reason i had to do a factory order. So i could delete the high price safety options and also get a 3.6L.
Sponsored

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
Easy to criticize it if you donā€™t have it. Great system if you do and use it properly. Just because you have it and use it doesnā€™t mean you arenā€™t attentive to your driving requirements. Itā€™s no more distraction than all the other electronics and screens already on board, maybe less. Yes, I have it and use it regularly as a feature to enhance my driving ability and no, I donā€™t snooze off. Well worth the investment. :jk:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
for folks who have this package... check your settings... my 2019 was defaulted to warning only with no automatic braking, I had to enable the automatic braking (I assume they are all setup the same way)
Mine was the same as yours, initially.

Sponsored

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Not worth it in my opinion. I've had it on the new Yukon for 3 year and never even used it because it was dumb. If you consider yourself a good experienced driver it will drive you nuts. If your in the city and trying to cut BEHIND somebody the system will apply the breaks for you and that is actually what damn near gave me a heart attack. If your a cautious and highly skilled driver that understand driving physics. Dont waste your time. If you have a young one that will be driving soon and you plan to let them use the Jeep then its worth it.

When I paid the extra price for the assist on the Yukon, I tried to use it not realizing I wouldn't utilize it. After set it up to my liking and making all the adjustments, I just turned it off completely after about 3 months.

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I had this on my Grand Cherokee and ordered it on my JLU and I wouldn't want a vehicle w/o it. It absolutely can save you and if it helps prevent one rear-end accident while I have it, it's paid for itself and then some! The nightmare of paying for damage to your vehicle, another vehicle, bodily injury, and not to mention being potentially sued.. seems like a no-brainer.

I think it's funny that some on here are just saying you need to be alert, the thing with accidents is they happen to the best of us and why not have the insurance to prevent you from getting in one? I know plenty of alert drivers that have had accidents. That's why we are all required to have insurance in the first place... this is just one extra layer of protection IMO.

It saved me a few times with crazy surprises, glad I had it and will have it on my Wrangler!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Automation has made airline travel more dangerous according to some pilots because younger pilots depend too much on the automated technology but then don't have the knowledge or experience to handle emergencies.
Bullship. Based on what study/statistics? This is another case of someone yelling "Get offf My Lawn!" Not everyone likes technology, I understand that, it doesn't mean people are dumber. Its another safety layer. When someone says technology has made something more dangerous, more than likely they don't understand the technology or how its supposed to be used.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Nope, not worth a dime. Save the money, pay attention while driving and youā€™ll never need your rig to do your job for you.
Totally agree . IMHO all that these advance safety features do is make people less attentive and poorer drivers since they have a false sense of security. Hell I don't even like or use cruise control.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bullship. Based on what study/statistics? This is another case of someone yelling "Get offf My Lawn!" Not everyone likes technology, I understand that, it doesn't mean people are dumber. Its another safety layer. When someone says technology has made something more dangerous, more than likely they don't understand the technology or how its supposed to be used.
Buddy I have been in technology for decades since pcs were built by individuals not Apple. I have a masters degree in IT. For 25 years I was an IT consultant to some of the biggest companies in the country.
There was a plane crash a few years ago landing into San Francisco. The computer made it come in too low and the young pilots didn't react fast enough to correct it because they trusted the computers and it hit the sea wall. Aviation experts in the news said it was a problem.
So don't assume you know what you are talking about.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Funny but nearly every bad driver I know says they are an alert driver. Sorry but if your head isnt on a swivel and situationally aware they are bad drivers. The best drivers I've seen drive like they ride a motorcycle (experienced riders with 100k miles under their belt)...head on a swivel, situationally aware, don't ride in blind spots, pass quickly, safe following distance and watches their six. They view every vehicle as a threat to run them down.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buddy I have been in technology for decades since pcs were built by individuals not Apple. I have a masters degree in IT. For 25 years I was an IT consultant to some of the biggest companies in the country.
There was a plane crash a few years ago landing into San Francisco. The computer made it come in too low and the young pilots didn't react fast enough to correct it because they trusted the computers and it hit the sea wall. Aviation experts in the news said it was a problem.
So you are basing one incident over decades of evolving technology? Anyone can find an isolated instance where technology failed. Good luck finding the instances where it worked - and nothing happened. What is the overall trend in airline accidents over the last 10 years? How about 20 years? Lets not let one, isolated incident paint a picture with broad strokes.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Not worth it in my opinion. I've had it on the new Yukon for 3 year and never even used it because it was dumb. If you consider yourself a good experienced driver it will drive you nuts. If your in the city and trying to cut BEHIND somebody the system will apply the breaks for you and that is actually what damn near gave me a heart attack. If your a cautious and highly skilled driver that understand driving physics. Dont waste your time. If you have a young one that will be driving soon and you plan to let them use the Jeep then its worth it.

When I paid the extra price for the assist on the Yukon, I tried to use it not realizing I wouldn't utilize it. After set it up to my liking and making all the adjustments, I just turned it off completely after about 3 months.
I totally agree. In situations where you may need to aggressively react and maneuver around someone and then have your vehicle slam the brakes on! No thanks!!! I think instead of spending the money on this, invest in a driving course that teaches YOU how to avoid collisions.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any experience with the advanced safety package? Specifically whether it has stopped you from rear ending someone? I'm a fairly attentive driver and never had an accident, but would not mind paying extra for the package for additional piece of mind. However, after seeing some videos online, it does not appear that the system is very reliable. From what I saw, after sensing an obstacle (or not sensing the obstacle) it only brought the vehicle to a stop about 20% of the time. I know the package also comes with smart cruise control which would be somewhat useful to me. Any thoughts or input?
I have an Advance Safety Group Package (or similar) in both of my current vehicles (2016 Acura RDX, 2019 Jeep JL Rubi). No one should ever rely on these to prevent an accident. I have about 80,000 more miles on my Acura than my Jeep. In the Acura, it isn't a perfect system. Going around twisty country roads sometimes alarms activate unnecessarily (in my Acura). I imagine the JL may have the same limitations. But the main reason why I got them was for a backup. I work rotating shift work, I have to admit I am tired at times driving home at 6am, or after a 16 hour shift. If something may help I will take that help, such as the LED headlights or the Advance Safety Group. In no way would I rely on these systems soley to get me home. In my mind, paying an extra $800 to possibly prevent an accident seems like a good deal to me. Everyone likes to think they are the perfect driver, and never look at their phones, or music, or radios, or passengers, but there is always something that may distract them.

Keep in mind, when I have had to replace the windshield in my Acura, I was told a camera calibration was needed/suggested. This would cost around $200-$500 depending on if the dealer or Safelite performed it, and it would take about 2-3 hours. I imagine that a Jeep would be similar. I did have the Acura recalibrated the first time, the 2nd time I passed and didn't notice a difference. I am pretty sure Safelite suggests a recalibration "just in case" they bump the camera near the rear view mirror when installing a new windshield.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Uh. That's not at all what happened. Poor airmanship and not understanding the automation on their aircraft is what happened. Aviation "experts" in the news typically have not idea what they're talking about.
Sponsored