Advanced Safety Package

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Does anyone have any experience with the advanced safety package? Specifically whether it has stopped you from rear ending someone? I'm a fairly attentive driver and never had an accident, but would not mind paying extra for the package for additional piece of mind. However, after seeing some videos online, it does not appear that the system is very reliable. From what I saw, after sensing an obstacle (or not sensing the obstacle) it only brought the vehicle to a stop about 20% of the time. I know the package also comes with smart cruise control which would be somewhat useful to me. Any thoughts or input?
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I haven't tested emergency braking as I'm an attentive driver as well and haven't had any missteps so far, but the adaptive cruise control works quite well, and the alerts (I have sensitivity set to medium) seem to indicate it would very likely avoid many accidents if I wasn't paying attention. I'm sure it all depends on speeds, if you're doing 60mph and there's a stopped vehicle, it may or may not work, but with a 10 or 20 mph differential I suspect it would more often than not. I haven't nor do I plan to test this theory so YMMV. Set it to high sensitivity and pay attention and you'd probably be in good shape. I wouldn't buy it for that reason though; I bought it purely for ACC, and I wouldn't be without it.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I haven't driven enough to know how reliable it is...then again I don't regularly get myself into situations that I would need to rely on the auto-braking feature.

It does work...I had it go off at low speed the other day as I was pulling out of a steep incline parking garage and someone was walking on the sidewalk (I saw them). The system was VERY loud, strobed the entire center cluster red with !!!BRAKE!!!, but I was only rolling like 1 mph so it wasn't a really good test.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Does anyone have any experience with the advanced safety package? Specifically whether it has stopped you from rear ending someone? I'm a fairly attentive driver and never had an accident, but would not mind paying extra for the package for additional piece of mind. However, after seeing some videos online, it does not appear that the system is very reliable. From what I saw, after sensing an obstacle (or not sensing the obstacle) it only brought the vehicle to a stop about 20% of the time. I know the package also comes with smart cruise control which would be somewhat useful to me. Any thoughts or input?
Personally... I would say "NO". The technology is not reliable enough at this time. To me it's just another example of a non-reliable option that is "dumbing" us down as drivers and disengaging the entire driving experience. Quit texting while driving, pay attention when you're behind the wheel, use your mirrors, NEVER hold up traffic in the left lane, turn your lights on whenever it is dark and/or 99% of the other vehicles on the road have their lights on and ALWAYS use your turn signals! Common sense and courtesy goes a long way.

OP
OP
PGFDE121

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
Personally... I would say "NO". The technology is not reliable enough at this time. To me it's just another example of a non-reliable option that is "dumbing" us down as drivers and disengaging the entire driving experience. Quit texting while driving, pay attention when you're behind the wheel, use your mirrors, NEVER hold up traffic in the left lane, turn your lights on whenever it is dark and/or 99% of the other vehicles on the road have their lights on and ALWAYS use your turn signals! Common sense and courtesy goes a long way.
Do you think the tech is something that’ll come with future software/firmware updates as they fine tune the system? I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile so want to “future proof” as best I can...

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Do you think the tech is something that’ll come with future software/firmware updates as they fine tune the system? I plan to keep this vehicle for awhile so want to “future proof” as best I can...
Listen, these technologies are not supposed to be Tesla-style autopilots...heck even Tesla isn't there yet despite what Musk says.

These are additional safety features that MAY assist you in a dangerous situation. Even if they are less than 100% reliable (which there is only anecdotal evidence of), you still can't go wrong by adding additional safety features to your vehicle.

Unless there is an issue with the system malfunctioning and causing more safety issues, it is going to be a net positive to the vehicle's safety.

FWIW the ACC works very well and I'm very happy with it.

It is just a cost/benefit analysis for you.

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Nope, not worth a dime. Save the money, pay attention while driving and you’ll never need your rig to do your job for you.

JohnnyJLUR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2013 Mazda MX5 Club
I personally love the ACC. I had to drive through Orlando in heavy traffic a couple weeks ago and the ACC paced well, stopped my Jeep for a short period and even started back up. If you are stopped for more than a couple seconds the ACC disengages. I have had a couple occasions when traffic slams to a stop and the forward collision avoidance alarm sounds...I have not yet have the braking activate.

Overall I am pleased...for a Jeep...this very advanced and more than I expected.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My insurance agent says one reason rates are going up is the very high cost of accidents damaging the multiple parts embedded in bumpers, lights, grilles, etc. and drivers not paying attention to their driving.
Plus in a few years when they stop working are you going to pay the high price to repair/replace them?
Automation has made airline travel more dangerous according to some pilots because younger pilots depend too much on the automated technology but then don't have the knowledge or experience to handle emergencies.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I like it. ACC is convenient, I'm usually OK with just keeping distance from the car in front of me. FCW has alarmed on me a few times and applied some brakes a couple times, not so much that I wasn't paying attention but when I get close to a right-turning car and it thinks I'm too close. ACC and FCW can be a little over-sensitive, but it can be adjusted. I like it how I have it, better safe than sorry. :like:

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If the selling point of the entire safety package is solely based on the Advanced Safety Group, than I would say it is not worth it. If you're looking for the peace of mind, and also would use the functionality included with adaptive cruise control and the other features than it would be worth it in my opinion. Now obviously, you cant rely on the system 100% of the time yet, but if you're driving in decent conditions it will do its just, and I can tell you it has saved me once.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
It works very well. I had my settings wrong, and a car in front of me was turning. I decided to go around them as they were turning, and the warning went off, and it hit the brakes, hard. So, yes, it does work. The Adaptive Cruise is awesome, btw. I use it about 80% of my driving.