Sponsored

Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So I've got some bad news... After adding the cabin air and sun sensor my heat still wasn't working correctly. Even in manual mode the air temperature blowing out of the vents would cycle from hot to cold repeatedly.

I took a look at the HVAC module in JScan to see if the cabin air sensor was actually reporting temperatures and it was but I was getting codes for left and right panel duct temperature sensors and right floor temperature sensors and it turns out that there are also temperature sensors inside of the air distribution box that the HVAC module uses to control the temperature blowing out the vents. I'm not sure if later years include these sensor in all models but my late model 2018 only includes a single sensor for the left floor vent.

I was sad, I'd already spent quiet a bit of time and money trying to make auto temperature control work and now it looks like their are more sensors. Since I've come this far I decided to just go ahead tear the dash out and replace the air distribution box with the ATC version (Mopar 68301867AA) and find the HVAC wiring harness to match (68301852AA). I found a wiring harness on eBay that already had the 3 additional temperature sensors (68301849AA) and orderd the air distribution box.

After getting the box in I realized two things. First, replacing the air distribution box would involve literally removing the entire dash almost all the way to the firewall. (DON'T DO IT). Second I realized that the MTC air distribution box is made using the same molds and you can tell where the temperature sensors should go there just isn't a hole drilled out.

If you remove the passenger side dash cover (Search for Alpine PSS-24WRA and Wrangler JL center console removal instructions) and the passenger side speaker box it is just barely possible to remove the old HVAC wiring harness (C1 Connector) and pull the new one around. I then used a handheld 1/4 hex driver and a couple of sharp drill bits(1/8 or smaller for the pilot and 3/8) to cut holes in the air box. After snapping the new sensors into the box and closing everything back up I have fully functioning auto climate control and the vent temperature is very consistent (or at least as consistent as a real ATC Wrangler is).

Doing this mod is one of the most challenging things I've ever done and it isn't for the faint-hearted. Plastic clips in the dash will break and you will invent new swear words taking things apart. I'll attach some pictures of an ATC box for everyone to look at.
Sponsored

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Below are some images of the ATC air distribution box. The MTC box will have a sensor in the front left of the box but all the other holes will be blocked off with plastic.

IMG_3067.jpeg

IMG_3066.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a 2018 that currently has auto-climate control. It's never been consistent and I would like to turn off the auto feature.

Can this be done in Jscan only, or do I need a different non-auto control panel like this one? My current panel looks like this.

Edit: I dug around in Jscan, think I need to change HVAC Configuration to "Dual Zone MTC" (instead of "Dual Zone ATC")

Last edited:

botlfed98

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I have 4 wiring harnesses prepared and ready to ship to anyone that needs this wiring harness (at a cost). I purchased enough material to make multiple harnesses. Please PM me if you have a need.
do you still happen to have any harnesses laying around?

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So I've got some bad news... After adding the cabin air and sun sensor my heat still wasn't working correctly. Even in manual mode the air temperature blowing out of the vents would cycle from hot to cold repeatedly.

I agree. I encountered the same problem. IF you install the sun sensor and the air temp, you won't get the full automatic temp control and you will think the Auto temp control sucks and then go back to manual. Youll need to add 4 more sensors to get fully auto climate control. I have some additional pictures of a dual zone climate control box, you can see where the temp sensors are a little better in the below drawings. The difference between the mtc and the atc are the holes. Like absolutesantaja stated, just drill your own. Here is the part numbers for the additional items. About $125.00.

wiring harness for ATC- 68301852AA
upper sensors you need 2 - 68301850AA
lower sensors you need 2 - 68301849AA

The lower sensors are the front sensors and can be accessed behind the climate control and power window control module. These are by far the easiest to install. The upper sensors are the ones in the front of the airbox on the left (drivers) and the right (passenger) side vents. These will be a struggle and you'll need to remove a bit of the dash to get to them. As absolutesantaja stated above, he just drilled the spots out that are actually marked where to put the holes.

credit to absolutesantaja for original post.

top view.jpg

drivers side.jpg

passenger side.jpg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure if @danny01 is still active on the site, but if so, THANKS!!!
What a great tutorial you posted 👍

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 2018 that currently has auto-climate control. It's never been consistent and I would like to turn off the auto feature.

Can this be done in Jscan only, or do I need a different non-auto control panel like this one? My current panel looks like this.

Edit: I dug around in Jscan, think I need to change HVAC Configuration to "Dual Zone MTC" (instead of "Dual Zone ATC")
@AnnDee4444 did you end up programming to "Dual Zone MTC"? I'm finding the Dual Zone ATC is pretty erratic, seems to take a long time to settle on a temp. TIA

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@AnnDee4444 did you end up programming to "Dual Zone MTC"? I'm finding the Dual Zone ATC is pretty erratic, seems to take a long time to settle on a temp. TIA
Looks like I can only go to Dual Zone ATC, when I go to MTC I only get a low fan w/ no adjustment in temp or fan speed, and if I go to Single Zone MTC it's nothing at all. The ATC setting works, just not in a hurry :)

cwwjr1681

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL Williys
Looks like I can only go to Dual Zone ATC, when I go to MTC I only get a low fan w/ no adjustment in temp or fan speed, and if I go to Single Zone MTC it's nothing at all. The ATC setting works, just not in a hurry :)
I know this is a late reply but did you ever get this working? My vehicle was Prewired for both sensors. The Cabin and the sunscreen due to already having automatic headlights. I just want to be able to see the temps on my 7" screen instead of just Red to Blue. I bought both sensors. Once I install them what do I need to do in Jscan?

My guess is just go to Adaption> Miscellaneous>HVAC Config and change Single Zone MTC to Single Zone ATC and thats it? or is there more I need to do? I obviously wont have Dual Zone because I dont have the needed dampers or the Dual Zone HVAC Control Panel.

Here is my current HVAC Controls
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C 20240324_033542

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know this is a late reply but did you ever get this working? My vehicle was Prewired for both sensors. The Cabin and the sunscreen due to already having automatic headlights. I just want to be able to see the temps on my 7" screen instead of just Red to Blue. I bought both sensors. Once I install them what do I need to do in Jscan?

My guess is just go to Adaption> Miscellaneous>HVAC Config and change Single Zone MTC to Single Zone ATC and thats it? or is there more I need to do? I obviously wont have Dual Zone because I dont have the needed dampers or the Dual Zone HVAC Control Panel.

Here is my current HVAC Controls
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C 20240324_033542
Unfortunately no, I'm able to get full hot or full cold, no in between temps. I will have to go back to my previous setup and just use steering wheel for volume control and no screen access to control the climate :(

cwwjr1681

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately no, I'm able to get full hot or full cold, no in between temps. I will have to go back to my previous setup and just use steering wheel for volume control and no screen access to control the climate :(
oh :(

The control setup you see in that picture is my factory set up. I had the volume knob from the get go and and do have in-between temps on my screen. But is just goes red to blue. Won't show temps because I dont have the cabin temp reader installed yet but my car is pre wired for it. My AC adjust on my screen not on the knob like the more basic models have. So maybe ill be ok?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
oh :(

The control setup you see in that picture is my factory set up. I had the volume knob from the get go and and do have in-between temps on my screen. But is just goes red to blue. Won't show temps because I dont have the cabin temp reader installed yet but my car is pre wired for it. My AC adjust on my screen not on the knob like the more basic models have. So maybe ill be ok?
Hopefully.
I had the basic setup but was wired for the 4 wire dash sensor and the fan driven sensor down to the right side of the steering wheel. I then added the same HVAC panel as the one you show in your post along w/ the 4 wire dash sensor and the fan driven sensor. I've tried all the combos available on JSCAN but still can't get a gradual temp adjustment, it's either scorching or freezing :(

cwwjr1681

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
had the basic setup but was wired for the 4 wire dash sensor and the fan driven sensor down to the right side of the steering wheel. I then added the same HVAC panel as the one you show in your post along w/ the 4 wire dash sensor and the fan driven sensor. I've tried all the combos available on JSCAN but still can't get a gradual temp adjustment, it's either scorching or freezing :(
We may both need the even more upgraded version that has dual zone climate control. It's The Next Step Up From what I have. Looks like this

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C 1000007597

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We may both need the even more upgraded version that has dual zone climate control. It's The Next Step Up From what I have. Looks like this

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C 1000007597
I've resigned myself to going back to the basic HVAC, it works fine and using the steering wheel volume knob isn't too bad. I do like the on screen climate control, but I really want my full temp adjust back.
Sponsored