Auto stop start (ESS) permanent disable / defeat by unplugging hood sensor

cobra

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Has anyone experience issues from dealer while vehicle was in for service / warranty work?
Instead of the hood sensor i unplugged the battery monitor wire on the negative cable[small black wire]. No problems with the dealer, even showed them what i did.
Advertisement

Kyanche

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This feature would work so much better if it used GPS data to decide when to kill the motor. I'm on the fence where I don't mind it being there, but I do think it's stupid when I stop in a parking lot and the engine turns off.

If the data was readily available, they could also use traffic history to have a database of which intersections are REALLY worth turning the engine off at.

As it stands, I find myself using the button strategically to kill the engine when I think I'm going to be sitting at one of the local stupid traffic lights, where if you arrive just as the light turns red, you'll be there 3-5 minutes.

Ah, that said, I think the intention of this feature was a bullet list item on a powerpoint of "regulations we must satisfy" not "how can we make a useful feature that saves gas." It reeks of the half-assed kinda implementation a car company begrudgingly makes (or buys from a vendor, lol)

smithrd65

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Question, why do people dislike the ESS? Don't say it will wear out the starter that is not true. I have the ESS in my BMW and Range Rover both for over 3yrs zero starter issue.
It seems to me that one person dislikes it and everyone else follows.
It is just easy to push the button, if it saves 1 gallon of gas a year just maybe our kids kids will have an Earth to live on.

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Question, why do people dislike the ESS? Don't say it will wear out the starter that is not true. I have the ESS in my BMW and Range Rover both for over 3yrs zero starter issue.
It seems to me that one person dislikes it and everyone else follows.
It is just easy to push the button, if it saves 1 gallon of gas a year just maybe our kids kids will have an Earth to live on.
I don't believe in carbon footprints.

I believe in the law of conservation of matter: neither I nor my vehicle are creating carbon, we merely transform the existing pool of carbon from one state to another and one compound to another. Carbon footprint as a concept makes no scientific sense.

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
On my RR, I forced myself to use the feature (leaving it active) for 6 months. I did not see a significant increase in efficiency, at least nothing that changed my opinion of the system.

I saved approximately 1.5 gallons and maybe $4.50 by using the ECO feature for 6 months. Compared to my total fuel costs for the same 6 months which were ~$1100, the ECO system saved me 0.5%.

So on an emotional level, I still hate these ECO start/stop features.... and on an intellectual level, although there is a tiny benefit, it really isn't worth it.

Perhaps a better design would have been to program the button to turn ESS on when a user wanted to use it????

smithrd65

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Question can someone be honest and say why they DONT like the ESS system. It sounds like that most complaints is the starter which is FALSE.

Rubicon20

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Question can someone be honest and say why they DONT like the ESS system. It sounds like that most complaints is the starter which is FALSE.
As an older guy I used to have a Ford F250 pickup, 1978, that every time I stopped at a light or stop sign the engine would die. So I guess I have a little PTSD from that, lol, that makes me nervous every time it shuts off thinking it won't start like my pickup did. So I guess I had the first ESS system.
Seriously it's probably psychological, and also a bit more intrusive than a luxury car like my wifes BMW that you can barely tell shuts off then back on when you take off.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an older guy I used to have a Ford F250 pickup, 1978, that every time I stopped at a light or stop sign the engine would die. So I guess I have a little PTSD from that, lol, that makes me nervous every time it shuts off thinking it won't start like my pickup did. So I guess I had the first ESS system.
Seriously it's probably psychological, and also a bit more intrusive than a luxury car like my wifes BMW that you can barely tell shuts off then back on when you take off.
I also have a Range Rover that has ESS and it is also smooth start. My JLUR is not bad either.
Thanks for the HONEST reply.

madscientist

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I also have a Range Rover that has ESS and it is also smooth start. My JLUR is not bad either.
Thanks for the HONEST reply.
I think you have a lot of nerve implying anyone here is dishonest. Your virtue-signaling is the only dishonest post here. You drive a Jeep; if you're that concerned about the planet then you should be pedaling or walking. Liar, ENOUGH SAID.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you have a lot of nerve implying anyone here is dishonest. Your virtue-signaling is the only dishonest post here. You drive a Jeep; if you're that concerned about the planet then you should be pedaling or walking. Liar, ENOUGH SAID.
I guess your the one person who has no idea why he dislikes the ESS and no I didnt call anyone a LIAR
I ask for the truth if that bothers you I guess your the 1.
So dont get BUTT hurt its all good here. Enjoy your Jeep I will.
Merry Christmas to you.

PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
I don’t mind the ESS, but after hearing from you I’m going with the Tazer ESS defeat and a full DEF delete. Impeach that Tesla.

Reactions: GtX

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I sure can, I don’t believe it will wear out the starter or put undue stress on any component but here in Houston it stays pretty warm and balmy with high humidity and to pull up to a stop and have the A/C shut down while sitting at a light, I know ESS is supposed to keep the Jeep running if heating or cooling but it seems for at least me it always shuts down.

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Because the Jeep is my property and I want ESS disabled. Full Stop. No other reason is needed.

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wow, a lot of Vapor and Angst over a simple button. How hard is it to just push for "Off" ?
Push for "On" ? I do that reflexively now, no Tazer or Temper Tantrum for actually controlling how the vehicle functions...but then, roll up windows, key operated door locks aren't an issue either...

GtX

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, a lot of Vapor and Angst over a simple button. How hard is it to just push for "Off" ?
Push for "On" ? I do that reflexively now, no Tazer or Temper Tantrum for actually controlling how the vehicle functions...but then, roll up windows, key operated door locks aren't an issue either...
Not about the button.

Advertisement

Dwayne Lane's Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Advertisement