RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think all 3 handles are required? Could you do just the driver's door?

I dunno. I would say probably. If the handle is available, I should have mid-week. But I won't be able to test next weekend - heading to White Mountain Jeep Invasion. Removing the door handle is relatively simple, according to service manual. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking there's going to be some gotcha….

On another note, adding the BSM should be simple, but more expensive - Need to have LED lights, first of all. Which I do. Need radar X2, light harness X 2, radar bracket X 2. And two mirrors. That's a lot more - almost $700 in parts.

Now "why didn't" I just get the vehicle with proximity.... I wanted that. But I did not want to order, and finding a manual transmission Sahara with options I wanted was, hmm, difficult.
Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
This would be awesome if it all works. It’s one of those things I didn’t think I would miss as much as I do. It is an even bigger deal for my wife as she just keeps the fob in her wallet. Thanks for working on it. Interested to see how it turns out. Also interested to know if it could just be installed on one door? I really only need the driver door done

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the tailgate.

1) handle removes easily with an appropriate torque bit screwdriver.
2) removing the trim panel.
-wiring goes to swing gate BUT
-a jumper is needed to go from swing gate harness to handle. Current jumper just splits off to lock

Jumper is $11.00.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
So I'll leave at that. I think I have all I need for rear gate. I'll see where this gets me.

I poked around on the front doors on tech authority. There seems to be only one wiring harness for doors equipped with power [locks, windows] and no additional requirements for passive entry. i'll have to look in my door... that won't be until the weekend...

I'm doing the tail gate because that is the easiest to access/deal with. But if that one works any other single door should work.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the parts (pricing from AllMoparParts):

Rear Gate

Handle, Outside
Part Number: 68309825AB $90.51

Handle, Outside Cap
Part Number: 68309830AC $8.05

Passenger Door/Driver door (same parts)

Handle, Outside, RIGHT or LEFT
Part Number: 68307269AB $86.14

Handle, Outside Cap, RIGHT or LEFT
Part Number: 68307272AD $8.34

$287 plus shipping. AllMoparParts usually provides a discount code if you PM them.
It would be funny if this is the "after purchase" price tag for a $495 factory option at the time of purchase.

Sponsored

Alf1096

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It would be funny if this is the "after purchase" price tag for a $495 factory option at the time of purchase.
Would there not be something special inside the fob itself.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would there not be something special inside the fob itself.
Nope. The same technology is used for the pushbutton start, so the key fob is ready to go.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Nope. The same technology is used for the pushbutton start, so the key fob is ready to go.
Wouldn't there need to be a link between the keyfob signal and the individual Jeep? Or is that somehow already in the Jeep's individual ECU already?

Otherwise random JL owners could walk up on open the doors with proximity.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't there need to be a link between the keyfob signal and the individual Jeep? Or is that somehow already in the Jeep's individual ECU already?

Otherwise random JL owners could walk up on open the doors with proximity.
The link is already their for the push button start.

Proximity entry and push button start are the same thing as far as the key fob and car are concerned. The reason proximity entry does not work is because you do not have the sensors in the car doors. If you purchased the Jeep with the proximity entry option, then it came with the sensors in the doors.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You might need to tell the ECU that the proximity sensors are there by going to the dealer so they can load the program. That would be expensive, I am sure. But that would have nothing to do with the key fob.

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
The link is already their for the push button start.

Proximity entry and push button start are the same thing as far as the key fob and car are concerned. The reason proximity entry does not work is because you do not have the sensors in the car doors. If you purchased the Jeep with the proximity entry option, then it came with the sensors in the doors.
So you throw the sensored handles in, plug them in, and boom. It should work? In theory.

Edit: you just posted at the same time, saw your post above.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you throw the sensored handles in, plug them in, and boom. It should work? In theory.

Edit: you just posted at the same time, saw your post above.
Someone would have to take the risk and try it out before we would know for sure if it works like the 8.4"/7" screen upgrade [plug-in-play] or if you need to program the ECU for the new sensors.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
The service manual describes the operation

The RFH module and BCM are the brains. If you have keyless entry and push button start, you have an RF module. Your key fobs are registered to this already. Nothing to do there.

The door handles are merely sensors. They are hardwired to the RF module. They just send a signal to the RF module based on you pushing the button or grabbing the handle. The rf module then sends a wakeup signal to the fob via one of the 5 Lf antennas. If a valid fob is present, it will respond. If the Rf module gets a response, it will send the appropriate lock/unlock signal to the BCM. This same process happens for push button start. So the fob and rf module are already performing this function.

Full disclaimer I’m not an FCA engineer, but I’m not a complete idiot (some parts are missing), this is generally how I read this to work. I may not be 100% correct and there could be a hidden gotcha that I’m not aware of...

As I stated before - my JLUS has the LF antennas in place and connected to RF module. Other trim levels may differ. If you don’t have keyless entry you may be SOL. (Do base JLs have manual locks only?) The handles, cover plates, and a rear gate wiring jumper appear to be all that is required. It seems unlikely to require additional programming. I’ll know definitively next week, hopefully.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t wait for the results!

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score