First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

I added the TrailRax Pak Rax System on the JLU Hardtop to add some extra storage and fuel to the Jeep! We installed a 4gal Rotopax on one side and our Deadman Off-Road Recovery Body Bag on the other side with a Krazy Beaver Shovel above the recovery bag.

This video shows a step by step install. Do you guys have this set up, what do you have mounted on it? There is a lot of creativity with these. Post your pictures below of your set up!

If you don't have this, what do you use to add extra storage and/or fuel to your Jeep? Lots of options out there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Extra Storage and Fuel DSC05667-2_Original

Here is a shot of the Deadman recovery bag and Krazy Beaver Shovel on the Pak Rax.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Why do folks not mount the fuel cans on the driver side? Next to the fuel filler. Where they can be refueled at the same time as the main tank?

What am I missing?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Because (almost) no one ever actually uses them. You have to be pretty remote to need an extra 10 - 20 miles of range (1 - 2 gallons of fuel). 95% of the time, the fuel goes unused or the Rotopax are not filled.

OP
OP
Jeep Generation

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Why do folks not mount the fuel cans on the driver side? Next to the fuel filler. Where they can be refueled at the same time as the main tank?

What am I missing?
I realized that after I installed it. I mentioned it in the video( around 19:45) that I needed to swap sides. It would make more sense functionally to have it on the driver side. If you have a speed syphon, you can also just refill the tank without taking the rotopax down if it is on the driver side.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link

What am I missing?
Also, fuel cans should be sitting on the ground for a refuel. This best grounds them and lowers the possibility of a static spark caused by the flow of fuel into an ungrounded container. You could assume the mount is enough grounding...but for example, the bed of a truck is absolutely not sufficient.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
I realized that after I installed it. I mentioned it in the video( around 19:45) that I needed to swap sides. It would make more sense functionally to have it on the driver side. If you have a speed syphon, you can also just refill the tank without taking the rotopax down if it is on the driver side.
Doah! I did not watch the video.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Also, fuel cans should be sitting on the ground for a refuel. This best grounds them and lowers the possibility of a static spark caused by the flow of fuel into an ungrounded container. You could assume the mount is enough grounding...but for example, the bed of a truck is absolutely not sufficient.
Is this true for modern plastic cans? Do they spark?

Also, even if they should be on the ground I personally would want them near the fuel filler.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Because (almost) no one ever actually uses them. You have to be pretty remote to need an extra 10 - 20 miles of range (1 - 2 gallons of fuel). 95% of the time, the fuel goes unused or the Rotopax are not filled.
True. I personally have never “needed” them but I have rolled into a station with only a gallon to spare. I stress about everything so that was too close for my personal mental health.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Is this true for modern plastic cans? Do they spark?

Also, even if they should be on the ground I personally would want them near the fuel filler.
Yes, according to the current CDC warning it covers all fuel containers.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I use the RSE rear spare tire strap to hold two rotopax when the trip permits. Mostly only take with me on multi day trips and yes I have had to use them. There are still portions of this country with few gas stations in between...

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I have two 4 gallon rotopax containers, got them on their scratch and dent sale. I actually have used them quite a bit on multiday wheeling trips. Sometimes for fuel for the jeep, sometimes for fuel for the camper generator. Right now they live in the back of the jeep, but thinking of adding a setup like yours.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
When my 2 Dr Sport is out of warranty, I want to do the "muffler delete", and add a fuel tank in the area the big factory muffler occupied.
Hopefully some smart person will have done this, but it seems the perfect low center of gravity, well protected location for an auxiliary tank.
Sponsored