Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Hey all,

So even though the JL Wrangler has the rear 12V plug, the gauge of wire it uses is pathetic and not sufficient for a 12V Fridge. Yes it will power it, but from what I hear you will lose a lot of amps and voltage from your battery. Engel recommends power the fridge to a 12V plug that is directly connected to the Battery. You can see what I did for this on my BLOG as well as a review on my Engel MT45 Fridge https://www.myjlproject.com/blog/engel-mt45-platinum-review/. This thing is NICE!!!

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0918.jpeg

IMG_0917.jpeg

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg
Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That is a little over kill for 2.5A draw, did you measure your voltage loss?

OP
OP
RubenZ

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Its what's recommended by Engel and ARB for their fridges as well by others in the overland community. I didn't want to take that chance. I just had to look at the wiring for the factory 12v cig plug in the back to say no thanks. I actually plan to also tie in my Compressor to the same wire via a 12v wiring block. So might as well use the thicker gauge.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Its what's recommended by Engel and ARB for their fridges as well by others in the overland community. I didn't want to take that chance. I just had to look at the wiring for the factory 12v cig plug in the back to say no thanks. I actually plan to also tie in my Compressor to the same wire via a 12v wiring block. So might as well use the thicker gauge.
Yes if using the plug for a compressor, most definitely. I ran my fridge wire this last weekend as well, but used 14G as that's what I had lying around and was well within the length and amperage rating for 12V. Line is dedicated for fridge as my ARB Dual is under the hood. I knew ARB made a wiring "Kit" and the price is somewhat decent for what you get. Nice location on the plug, I actually installed my plug in almost the same location. Now you need to install the dual battery kit..hehe

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubenZ

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Thats a nice plug. Any update on the install?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I added the ARB wiring kit as well but I mounted mine on the side of the cup holder area in the rear. I have a wooden platform thing for my fridge so it sits where the 40% passenger seat used to be. Almost did the same spot as you though.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Thats a nice plug. Any update on the install?
I have received the part, and its awaiting some white space to install it. I have been incredibly busy here lately. Pics of install coming, pinky swear!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Whether the Jeep wiring is adequate or not, that plug sticking out 3”, looking to get broken off, is a no-go for me.

I just used it for a 9 day trip, and was constantly having to pack and unpack with it in mind.

ARB wiring kit inbound.

Joe
Sponsored