Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just stopped by a car audio store and had the tech listen to the system. If I run a bass test song through Bluetooth I can get it to hit very hard and it sounds great. When I play music through xm radio it sounds like garbage. The tech said it was the differences in signal and audio files. He basically said that even upgrading the sub might not fix the sound quality issue when listening to music on xm radio. Any thoughts from my audiophile friends?
XM sounds like hot garbage even on the stock Alpine system. XM is highly compressed, it actually sounds worse than FM in many cases. I’ve found the best sound quality is using my phone connected via CarPlay (not Bluetooth) and using a high quality streaming service such as Tidal. Spotify sounds pretty good, and Pandora sounds ok but not great.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-sound-quality-of-SiriusXM-radio-Is-it-better-than-standard-radio

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Does the system sound a lot better now with the update and changes you made? What about your alpine sub?
So everything is working as expected now? What are your thoughts on the system? Overall output, clarity, etc.
Much better and more like I was expecting. Nice bit of authority to the music now, though the soundbar comes off as a bit too loud so I turned the fade forward. The sub was always a bit bloated and overbearing with the stock Alpine system. It's more blended now and not as dominant. It's still a bit muddled but I'm glad to have it back to round out the sound.

I'll play with the EQ as much as I am able and get some better source material but so far I am pleased. MP3's I recorded at 320kbps are sounding much better and details have returned.

I'll try to get some better recordings and listen a bit more.

Sponsored

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Much better and more like I was expecting. Nice bit of authority to the music now, though the soundbar comes off as a bit too loud so I turned the fade forward. The sub was always a bit bloated and overbearing with the stock Alpine system. It's more blended now and not as dominant. It's still a bit muddled but I'm glad to have it back to round out the sound.

I'll play with the EQ as much as I am able and get some better source material but so far I am pleased. MP3's I recorded at 320kbps are sounding much better and details have returned.

I'll try to get some better recordings and listen a bit more.
That’s great to hear. I was on the fence about even installing mine if you weren’t able to get it working properly. So did you end up leaving that ‘mystery connector’ on the wire harness connected or disconnected? And what were your final dip switch settings?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That’s great to hear. I was on the fence about even installing mine if you weren’t able to get it working properly. So did you end up leaving that ‘mystery connector’ on the wire harness connected or disconnected? And what were your final dip switch settings?
I connected it as it powers the stock sub. Now I get the stock sub and amplified speakers.
I'm not sure why it was tapped with this?

0F3CA43B-A713-4C43-8991-6562D17234DD.jpeg

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I connected it as it powers the stock sub. Now I get the stock sub and amplified speakers.
I'm not sure why it was tapped with this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 0F3CA43B-A713-4C43-8991-6562D17234DD
I wonder, if once I add the sub amp from mb quart and connect it to the alpine sub do I need unplug that connection? I am still debating on adding a different sub in the Jeep enclosure.

musicguyusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy's; 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
I have been watching this thread closely as I am very interested in the MB Quart system. @AmarilloJLU and @Krondor, may I ask you both a few questions since you two have been through the installation process?

My upgrade will be from the 7" factory system without the OEM subwoofer. I do plan to use the Stinger Height10 and replace the factory head unit.

• First, what is the volume capability and range of the MB Quart system? Mostly, I am looking to be able to play (and hear) music with the top off at reasonable speeds. Currently, I cannot hear the system at anything over 50-55mph.
  • Second and I am assuming you both are using the system with the MB Quart amplifiers, can you describe the installation process of connecting the amplifiers to the speakers? MB Quart describes it as plug and play; was it really? Are new wire harnesses and such included with the kit to connect the amplifiers to the speakers or does MB Quart "tap into" the existing infrastructure in some way? The directions are not clear about this.
  • Third, does the kit include everything needed to install the amplifiers such as power cable, ground cable, remote turn on cable, etc. or are there still items that need to be purchased beyond the kit itself?
  • Fourth, are you using the MB Quart amplifier for the subwoofer? If so, have you found it to be adequate to the task or, in hindsight, go a different direction? I kind of like the idea of having three identical power amplifiers mounted in the same location assuming the amplifier is capable of driving a subwoofer properly.

Thank you in advance for considering my questions.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wonder, if once I add the sub amp from mb quart and connect it to the alpine sub do I need unplug that connection? I am still debating on adding a different sub in the Jeep enclosure.
The fact that it's working in hybrid mode leaves me to believe it will not matter if you leave it plugged in. :dunno:

I'm still considering adding the third amp for a sub myself. Run the stock sub with it for a bit before I decide to replace it. Maybe they will come up with a 2-door sub option?

At the moment, I'll tinker with what I have for a bit. Some listening time and I'm really liking the new sound. Will see how it goes. :beer:

Sponsored

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I have been watching this thread closely as I am very interested in the MB Quart system. @AmarilloJLU and @Krondor, may I ask you both a few questions since you two have been through the installation process?

My upgrade will be from the 7" factory system without the OEM subwoofer. I do plan to use the Stinger Height10 and replace the factory head unit.

• First, what is the volume capability and range of the MB Quart system? Mostly, I am looking to be able to play (and hear) music with the top off at reasonable speeds. Currently, I cannot hear the system at anything over 50-55mph.
  • Second and I am assuming you both are using the system with the MB Quart amplifiers, can you describe the installation process of connecting the amplifiers to the speakers? MB Quart describes it as plug and play; was it really? Are new wire harnesses and such included with the kit to connect the amplifiers to the speakers or does MB Quart "tap into" the existing infrastructure in some way? The directions are not clear about this.
  • Third, does the kit include everything needed to install the amplifiers such as power cable, ground cable, remote turn on cable, etc. or are there still items that need to be purchased beyond the kit itself?
  • Fourth, are you using the MB Quart amplifier for the subwoofer? If so, have you found it to be adequate to the task or, in hindsight, go a different direction? I kind of like the idea of having three identical power amplifiers mounted in the same location assuming the amplifier is capable of driving a subwoofer properly.

Thank you in advance for considering my questions.
I still need to update the PAC unit software. My experience so far has not been super impressive. The system is louder than the stock system. If you use an aftermarket head unit you will need to purchase the kit for NON-OEM headunits. I can only speak for the OEM head unit kit as far as plug and play goes. Everything is included as far as wiring harnesses and amp wiring power harnesses back to the battery, the RCA cables, amp storage bracket that goes under the passenger seat, etc... the kit comes with two 2 channel amps that power the front and sound bar speakers. There is no amp included for the sub but when you run all of the wires the wires and connections are already included to make adding a sub amp very easy. I preferred the sub amp from my quart and have not received it yet so I cannot give any opinions on the sub connected to the mb quart amp. You do not splice or tap into any existing speaker wires which is great if you want to use them in the future. You will have to extensively modify your soundbar to add the 6x9 speakers. That part cannot be undone without buying a new soundbar. I am still on the fence as far as giving my final opinion of the system because I have not played with it enough and I still need to add the amp for the sub. The install is very involved as far as how much you have to take apart but I feel like any upgrade to the JL speakers would be. The instructions included are pretty clear. I am hoping I can get the PAC unit software updated and the the amp for the sub makes a positive difference. I will be interested to hear what @Krondor has to say as he has been tweaking things today.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

I'll do my best. Answers in orange.

• First, what is the volume capability and range of the MB Quart system? Mostly, I am looking to be able to play (and hear) music with the top off at reasonable speeds. Currently, I cannot hear the system at anything over 50-55mph. Not very accurate maybe, but I used my Apple watch to monitor sound in dB while listening to Darude's Sandstorm for an example. Arm first up at ear level but more center of the front seats. At 14 on the dial I had 71/72 dB and 75/78 db at the dash and knee speakers respectively. Turning up to 35 on the dial I was seeing 92/93 dB center and 101/102 dB at the speakers. Obnoxiously loud in my opinion and while I have not made a run topless above 55 mph yet, I am confident I'll hear the music just fine.
  • Second and I am assuming you both are using the system with the MB Quart amplifiers, can you describe the installation process of connecting the amplifiers to the speakers? MB Quart describes it as plug and play; was it really? Are new wire harnesses and such included with the kit to connect the amplifiers to the speakers or does MB Quart "tap into" the existing infrastructure in some way? The directions are not clear about this. Painful. Yes the wiring harness they include is top notch and you will not have to splice anything except the remote wire to the PAC AmpPro which comes with a crimp for the connection. The pain begins with dismantaling the dash with it's million screws and pieces that must come out in order and put back in the same way. Keep track of those screws or you will miss putting a couple back. I did. :blush: You will want to take the front passenger fender off to route the power line and keep it secured to factory wiring so you avoid the catalytic converter and it's heat. Order replacement clips (HERE).
  • Third, does the kit include everything needed to install the amplifiers such as power cable, ground cable, remote turn on cable, etc. or are there still items that need to be purchased beyond the kit itself? Everything is included in their superb wiring harness. I might recommend some added dampening and fiber fill but it's not necessary. You will want to remove the soundbar and add foam rubber where the soundbar comes in contact with the sport bar though. It rattled before the upgrade, so it most definitely will after.
  • Fourth, are you using the MB Quart amplifier for the subwoofer? If so, have you found it to be adequate to the task or, in hindsight, go a different direction? I kind of like the idea of having three identical power amplifiers mounted in the same location assuming the amplifier is capable of driving a subwoofer properly. Not yet.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Recently this thread has been focused on the new MB Quart system, so this question may get buried...

Does anyone have any experience with the AudioControl LC6i or similar AudioControl LOC? I'm curious how this compares to the PAC AmpPRO; I see the LC6i doesn't include a plug and play harness like the AmpPRO, but otherwise is at least $100 cheaper...

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Recently this thread has been focused on the new MB Quart system, so this question may get buried...

Does anyone have any experience with the AudioControl LC6i or similar AudioControl LOC? I'm curious how this compares to the PAC AmpPRO; I see the LC6i doesn't include a plug and play harness like the AmpPRO, but otherwise is at least $100 cheaper...
As long as you're OK with the Resistor approach (if needed) the LC6i should work.

It's unknown (to me) if the resistance the Uconnect system will see from the Audio Control LOC will be sufficient to trick the load sensing test. For that reason, if you decide to try it, just make sure you have the resistors in hand in case you need them (they're cheap).
Sponsored