First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Looking great @Krondor, I am in the middle of my install and holy crap there is a lot to remove. The system is definitely plug and play but you have to remove a lot of screws, trim pieces and the passenger seat. Quick question @Krondor. Where did you mount the ground wire for the three amps? I also bought the subwoofer amp as it was $100 and it mounts and plugs right in with the other wires that are already run in the harness from MB Quart. It will be interesting to see how everything sounds. Another question, if we have the premium alpine system do we plug the two harnesses together when installing the wiring harness for the PAC AMP unit? One has a sticker that says only use in amplified systems. I went ahead and plugged those together before screwing the screen back in (very tight fit with those huge harnesses behind it.)
I should have bought the sub amp.

Again, it looks like you connect that harness if you want to use the factory power. I'm not sure how the factory sub will continue to get power but we will see. If not, I have more storage until I get their sub amp and a suitable replacement sub.
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, I put the interior back together and plugged everything in after getting the 6x9's done.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 1621204737234

The stereo works.

The sub does not.

800Watts? BS

Volume is no greater than it was before, might even be lower though it does have better range. I'll play with the PAC settings and see if I missed something. But at the moment, I'm feeling like my grand was thrown away. :facepalm:

The PAC would have cost $350? The front pods maybe another $80? At the moment I'm not very impressed. Will see after I update the PAC and click some options.

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Well, I put the interior back together and plugged everything in after getting the 6x9's done.

The stereo works.

The sub does not.

800Watts? BS

Volume is no greater than it was before, might even be lower though it does have better range. I'll play with the PAC settings and see if I missed something. But at the moment, I'm feeling like my grand was thrown away. :facepalm:

The PAC would have cost $350? The front pods maybe another $80? At the moment I'm not very impressed. Will see after I update the PAC and click some options.
Thank you for keeping us updated. I hope it gets dialed in for you.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Where do you have the gains set on the amps?

I believe the dip switches on the PAC change the output voltage. Do you know which voltage you’ve selected?

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Where do you have the gains set on the amps?

I believe the dip switches on the PAC change the output voltage. Do you know which voltage you’ve selected?
I tried turning the the gains all the way down and then all the way up with no effect. So I believe I need to play with the PAC. Didn’t touch the dip switches so I thought I had 5v?

I have to figure out what to do to keep the sub rolling but still get amplified front and rear.

With luck I will be able to fix things after plugging in the PAC to the computer.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
I tried turning the the gains all the way down and then all the way up with no effect. So I believe I need to play with the PAC. Didn’t touch the dip switches so I thought I had 5v?

I have to figure out what to do to keep the sub rolling but still get amplified front and rear.

With luck I will be able to fix things after plugging in the PAC to the computer.
You can set a minimum volume on the PAC. That may be your problem.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

The stereo works.

The sub does not.

800Watts? BS

In addition to the other recommendations, make sure you have updated the PAC to the latest version, and after that, reset and recalibrate the device. It's a PITA, but should hopefully help.

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order

I did plug those two plugs into each other on the PAC wire harness and my factory sub still works. I have the gains up at about 75% and when I run a bass test from YouTube it hits pretty hard. Now I am not super impressed with the sound of music from satellite radio. I literally just finished up the install tonight so I still need to play around a bit. I did order the sub and plan on first connecting it to the alpine sub in the Jeep and see if I need to upgrade that. I feel like the system improved but still needs that solid kick from a sub really round out the system. I am not a bass heavy music person. I’m looking for solid sound that is full of that makes sense. I’m still on the fence if this system was worth the $1000 investment especially with how long the whole install took. I will keep everyone updated. I plan on calling PAC amp about the plugs in the back of the unit and see if they are supposed to be plugged in or stay unplugged. Here is a picture of the plug I am referring to.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 1225B510-3F89-4F2A-B0B2-B6323E553B9F

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following Jon’s lead.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) FDCC313C-AD39-400E-8723-ADABB0C15A56
Let us know how it goes plugging in the switch and turning on the #4 dip switch. I am hoping the sub amp will help the system. So far I have been very under whelmed.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Got the sub back but no real volume gain.

Unplugging and will edit with software now.

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the sub back but no real volume gain.

Unplugging and will edit with software now.
I just stopped by a car audio store and had the tech listen to the system. If I run a bass test song through Bluetooth I can get it to hit very hard and it sounds great. When I play music through xm radio it sounds like garbage. The tech said it was the differences in signal and audio files. He basically said that even upgrading the sub might not fix the sound quality issue when listening to music on xm radio. Any thoughts from my audiophile friends?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just stopped by a car audio store and had the tech listen to the system. If I run a bass test song through Bluetooth I can get it to hit very hard and it sounds great. When I play music through xm radio it sounds like garbage. The tech said it was the differences in signal and audio files. He basically said that even upgrading the sub might not fix the sound quality issue when listening to music on xm radio. Any thoughts from my audiophile friends?
That’s a very true statement. XM is even more compressed than MP3’s. CD’s were a bit better but still lost a bit off the analog of old. Today’s music is fine until you get a system with a bit of clarity.
Sponsored