Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
When installing the MB 6x9’s in the sound bar, should I do anything with the tweet plug? Splice it in with the other plug? Or stuff it in the sb? I don’t know much about this kinda stuff.
thanks-lloyd
Maybe you just leave it unplugged as the 6x9 has a built in tweeter. I am confused about the two amps. I know one is for the knee speakers, is the other one for the 6x9’s? Do we also have to buy the RCA cables and amp wiring kits to install these? When you look up the install instructions for the amps it directs you to the FAQ and it suggest to have a professional car audio person install them if you don’t know what to do. I know how to install amps but the parts list for the kit doesn’t mention if all of the parts to install the amps come with it. I would hope so since it is marketed as a plug and play system.
Sponsored

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
I've been on the fence about the MB Quart system all week...

Anyone speculate why no subwoofer is included for the JL (underseat is available for JT)? For the top end package everything is included, except a subwoofer. Is it possible the 6.5" knee and 6x9 soundbar speakers together provide enough low end to compete with / exceed the OEM Alpine upgrade? Also noticed paper cones; I am not a car audio pro, but is that common today? I realize no one has installed one of these yet, so there's no real world experience.

I didn't go for the OEM Alpine upgrade with the idea I could do something myself for lower cost. I'd been leaning toward the PSS-23WRA (a little pricey for what it is) or something like it using the KTP-445U and my own components. Just trying to get a clearer/slightly-louder/fuller sound with an OEM-like install.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Mine is out for delivery today. I’ll open it up and post pics of everything that’s included. I’m hoping the printed instructions are more complete than what’s on the website.

As for the paper cones, that doesn’t concern me at all in regards to sound quality. I deal with very high end loudspeakers in my day job and almost all of them are paper cones. Exotic materials are mainly just marketed to the home hifi group, sort of like ‘oxygen-free copper’ and cables thicker than your thumb.

One area the paper cones could be an issue in the Jeep is if they’re not water resistant. There are silicone coatings you can add to paper speakers, and it’s possible that’s been done here. Or they might just be untreated paper, in which case you’ll have to be careful about getting them wet. But the individual drivers are pretty cheap on MB Quart’s website if you need to replace a couple.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, MB Quart has a whole line marketed to Marine and Powersports applications. I would think they know better and these paper cones have been treated with silicone.

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Mine is out for delivery today. I’ll open it up and post pics of everything that’s included. I’m hoping the printed instructions are more complete than what’s on the website.

As for the paper cones, that doesn’t concern me at all in regards to sound quality. I deal with very high end loudspeakers in my day job and almost all of them are paper cones. Exotic materials are mainly just marketed to the home hifi group, sort of like ‘oxygen-free copper’ and cables thicker than your thumb.

One area the paper cones could be an issue in the Jeep is if they’re not water resistant. There are silicone coatings you can add to paper speakers, and it’s possible that’s been done here. Or they might just be untreated paper, in which case you’ll have to be careful about getting them wet. But the individual drivers are pretty cheap on MB Quart’s website if you need to replace a couple.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, MB Quart has a whole line marketed to Marine and Powersports applications. I would think they know better and these paper cones have been treated with silicone.
Paper cone with mica blend. Should be perfectly fine.:like:

98042816-87CD-4397-87A0-CE6E41A5416D.jpeg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My system arrived already.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 7935D4C5-95B4-40B8-B4A5-7A4367446E73

Looks good so far:

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 6CF58BC5-6B08-4764-9C13-0807924E8C0B

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 6593E113-D7BF-402B-9952-824F3E5F9818

RCA cables and PAC confirmed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 339A0F16-BB20-4660-9B38-D29B1A90426D

Amps are small but have a bit of heft. Class D, so efficient but maybe not SQ level gear. Will hope for the best.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) B5D2E2EC-7976-48BD-B9D6-4D6B19302598

The mount looks good. Will test fit both sides tonight after dismantling the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 6487C344-2950-42F1-AC1C-B99C454B0A6E

Dash speakers look to be quality parts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 5F88BDE6-D4FB-4B17-8406-A42C8F658106

The 6x9's also look well made. Can't wait to hear the difference. No going back after the 6x9's are mounted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 14B59C67-DEFA-4169-AF87-56BCF3D22B6A

No sub or sub amp, but I bet they will be an add on later. We will see.

Sponsored

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My system arrived already.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) 14B59C67-DEFA-4169-AF87-56BCF3D22B6A

Looks good so far:

RCA cables and PAC confirmed.

Amps are small but have a bit of heft. Class D, so efficient but maybe not SQ level gear. Will hope for the best.

The mount looks good. Will test fit both sides tonight after dismantling the dash.

Dash speakers look to be quality parts.

The 6x9's also look well made. Can't wait to hear the difference. No going back after the 6x9's are mounted.

No sub or sub amp, but I bet they will be an add on later. We will see.
Mine came a few hours ago too. I’m kind of annoyed it didn’t come with any printed instructions, and the online instructions don’t include a wiring diagram. I’m sure I can figure it out but how would you sell a product like this?

I’m actually wondering if/how the factory sub is supposed to work with this kit. The PAC Amp Pro says it bypasses the OEM amplifier and provides RCA outputs. But the MB Quart kit only includes amplifiers for the main speakers. Will the OEM sub continue to work?

Simms

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Mine came a few hours ago too. I’m kind of annoyed it didn’t come with any printed instructions, and the online instructions don’t include a wiring diagram. I’m sure I can figure it out but how would you sell a product like this?

I’m actually wondering if/how the factory sub is supposed to work with this kit. The PAC Amp Pro says it bypasses the OEM amplifier and provides RCA outputs. But the MB Quart kit only includes amplifiers for the main speakers. Will the OEM sub continue to work?
Ordered this a couple days ago and your sub question made me do a little digging. According to the PAC AP4-CH41 info page online (pictures show this model) it says this:

“It can be used to upgrade the entire sound system or just part of it thanks to the retention of the original amplifier”

Then has a diagram which looks like you can still use the OEM amp along with this system to run the sub.

*How it works:

ration%20%20v3%20with%20ALIGNED%20RCA%20connectors.png

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
Ordered this a couple days ago and your sub question made me do a little digging. According to the PAC AP4-CH41 info page online (pictures show this model) it says this:

“It can be used to upgrade the entire sound system or just part of it thanks to the retention of the original amplifier”

Then has a diagram which looks like you can still use the OEM amp along with this system to run the sub.

*How it works:

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) ration%20%20v3%20with%20ALIGNED%20RCA%20connectors
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) DDC019F9-44FC-4F40-AE62-FE9298E7D160
This is one of the reviews on crutchfield for the PAC unit. Maybe you turn the dip switches on for the two amps for the front and rear speakers and off for the sub amp since you still want to use the alpine sub from the upgraded system. Whoever installs this that has the upgraded alpine system please update us on this and well...everything else. I don’t even have a tracking number yet. I ordered on Friday.

Sponsored

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
DDC019F9-44FC-4F40-AE62-FE9298E7D160.jpeg
This is one of the reviews on crutchfield for the PAC unit. Maybe you turn the dip switches on for the two amps for the front and rear speakers and off for the sub amp since you still want to use the alpine sub from the upgraded system. Whoever installs this that has the upgraded alpine system please update us on this and well...everything else. I don’t even have a tracking number yet. I ordered on Friday.
Good find. Hopefully that works. I found this amplifier on MB Quarts website. It’s similar to the two amps that come with the kit, except it’s a monoblock with built in crossover for the sub. So you could either run the OEM sub off of this amp or put an upgraded sub in the back, which is the route I’m probably going. The amp is only $100 which leaves lots of money left over for a quality sub and enclosure. Also, the amp rack/bracket that comes in the kit looks like it can hold 3 of these amps, which is one of the main reasons I’m leaning this way.

MB Quart NA2-400.1 Compact 400 watt Mono Powersports Amplifier to for a subwoofer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VT7XSYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_S2GGEQ9SC7BN7V85V37F

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
So of those who have purchased, do all of you have the OEM Alpine system?

I’m leaning toward the MB Quart front and rear speakers, paired with a KTP-445U mounted in the glove box, and small under seat sub. The included bracket looks like the JL Audio bracket to me...

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I've been reading the install instructions and lining up my plans.

Today I'll pull panels to begin install. The amps mount below the passenger seat and I didn't get the sub because I've got the two door. I'll be using the OEM sub for now (2 door with Alpine), but I like the fact that I can upgrade later. I might have to buy their sub amp now too as it will fit nicely under the seat with the other two amps.

I'm planning to add dampening and polish up the dash pieces I painted while I have things apart. This may delay the install, but I'll post up what I find as I go.

Scott,

Let us know what you find out about your sub. Are you thinking about using the MBQuart sub amp and their under seat setup?

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've been reading the install instructions and lining up my plans.

Today I'll pull panels to begin install. The amps mount below the passenger seat and I didn't get the sub because I've got the two door. I'll be using the OEM sub for now (2 door with Alpine), but I like the fact that I can upgrade later. I might have to buy their sub amp now too as it will fit nicely under the seat with the other two amps.

I'm planning to add dampening and polish up the dash pieces I painted while I have things apart. This may delay the install, but I'll post up what I find as I go.

Scott,

Let us know what you find out about your sub. Are you thinking about using the MBQuart sub amp and their under seat setup?
I’ll probably use their sub amp and find a small but efficient 3rd party subwoofer. I’ve actually been thinking about ways I can leave the OEM subwoofer connected as well, and switch between the OEM sub and the aftermarket sub either physically with wiring, or in a DSP preset. I haul a lot of cargo and sometimes I’ll need to remove the aftermarket sub, but I don’t want to be left with nothing for those trips.

I’m also looking at this DSP which will allow me to fine tune each speaker, and has all-pass filters if I run into phase issues with the MB Quart crossovers. It has 4 presets, so I should be able to create a preset for the aftermarket sub and a separate preset for the OEM sub.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/c-dsp-8x12

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
I have the base infotainment setup that comes with a 2 door '21 rubi. It's the 7–Inch display Uconnect 4 with 8 speaker. No Alpine, no sub. I assume it's 8 speakers considering the overhead sound bar enclosures each has two drivers.

Anyone else considering the MB Quart six speaker package for the OE head unit for their similar setup to mine?

Following those on this thread already trsilblazing this kit. Thank you guy for sharing your installs and what your learning. Looking forward to your reviews. I have questions for you guys and those others researching for a potential buy.

Where are you finding the information on the MB Quart under seat subwoofer option? Are these the speakers??
Sponsored