AC stops blowing cold when put in park

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It doesn't matter if I set it to max or any other temperature. It just acts as a fan with no cooling whatsoever. I think it has to do with the ESS system. When I drive the AC works perfectly fine, I get to my destination and the ESS system kicks in and turns the engine off, I put the car into park and the engine turns on again, but the AC keeps acting as if the engine is off and doesn't blow cold again until I turn the ignition off and on again.
Perhaps I should be more clear, set it to max AC, then take it to the dealer.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It doesn't matter if I set it to max or any other temperature. It just acts as a fan with no cooling whatsoever. I think it has to do with the ESS system. When I drive the AC works perfectly fine, I get to my destination and the ESS system kicks in and turns the engine off, I put the car into park and the engine turns on again, but the AC keeps acting as if the engine is off and doesn't blow cold again until I turn the ignition off and on again.
Interesting.

1. What happens if you turn ess off (dash button) while driving and then brake and place into park? The engine shouldn’t stop/start. Does the A/C stay on?

2. When you experience the A/C turning off as you described, does the A/C light on the dash button stay on? Just curious if the Jeep is turning off the A/C compressor on its own during an ess event.

3. Setting your A/C to max A/C should disable ess. See if that fixes your problem. Then you can determine whether the problem is linked to ess or Park.

Last edited:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using the "Auto" temp feature?

I notice at random times it will start to blow warm air, even though the auto temp is set to 72 and the outside temp is 95, no way the cabin is anywhere near 72.

On another note, this is why I think an outside temp and inside temp display would be helpful.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Interesting.

1. What happens if you turn ess off (dash button) while driving and then brake and place into park? The engine shouldn’t stop/start. Does the A/C stay on?

2. When you experience the A/C turning off as you described, does the A/C light on the dash button stay on? Just curious if the Jeep is turning off the A/C compressor on its own during an ess event.

3. Setting your A/C to max A/C should disable ess. See if that fixes your problem. Then you can determine whether the problem is linked to ess or Park.
1. The A/C does stay on if I turn ESS off and shift into park. The A/C will only stop blowing cold if I put it in park with the ESS on.

2. Yes. The A/C light stays on.

3. I know that setting my AC to max will disable the ESS, but shouldn't the A/C come back on after ESS turned the engine off and the engine comes back on when I shift into park?

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr
Are you using the "Auto" temp feature?

I notice at random times it will start to blow warm air, even though the auto temp is set to 72 and the outside temp is 95, no way the cabin is anywhere near 72.

On another note, this is why I think an outside temp and inside temp display would be helpful.
No, I don't use the auto temp feature at all. Coming from a car that didn't have it before I had this Wrangler, I'm used to manually changing the climate. This is the same thing that the service guy at jeep told me. He said that I had the temperature too high (72, it's 105 outside where I live) and to keep it at lo. This is just so weird to me. My sister's bmw has an auto function and she keeps it at 75 and it never starts blowing hot air, it just slows down the speed automatically.

OP
OP

RAMOSJJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr