Sponsored

AC stops blowing on long trips

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Tried to search here if anybody had a similar problem, but can't find anything.
My 2018 JLUR has an issue with AC on a long drives of about an hour and more. In the beginning the AC works fine and blows hard as it supposed to, but after driving for about 40 min to an hour the airflow gets very minimal to none without changing any settings of the fan. The sound of blowing air is still loud, but feels like the airflow gets blocked somewhere. Like AC goes to some kind of Eco mode. After stopping and getting Jeep into sleep mode then turning it back on AC blows fine for another 30-40 min, and then airflow gets very thin, almost shuts down again. Weird thing is it only happens when the vehicle is moving/driving. If I get parked and run AC for an hour, two or more it blows strong all the time.
Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Have you replace the cabin filter?

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No, haven't replaced it yet. How often does it have to be replaced?

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
This happened on my 2017 Volvo. It happened on a trip to Las Vegas from L.A. in 105 weather! Turns out it was the evaporator temp sensor or something to that affect in the a/c system. It would basically freeze the condenser up and block the air flow. A quick remedy is to turn the a/c off while keeping the fan on to melt the ice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This happened on my 2017 Volvo. It happened on a trip to Las Vegas from L.A. in 105 weather! Turns out it was the evaporator temp sensor or something to that affect in the a/c system. It would basically freeze the condenser up and block the air flow. A quick remedy is to turn the a/c off while keeping the fan on to melt the ice.
Thank you. I will definitely try that.

rampart_ranger

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys XR
This happens periodically on my 2019 JLUR during roadtrips, but it lasts for less than 5 minutes and then the AC kicks back in. Maybe every 90-120 minutes? I'll be barreling down the highway and all of a sudden its just warm air pouring in for a few minutes. Though, in my case, I haven't actually had to stop driving/turn the Jeep off before it comes back. It's never been bad enough that I've had the shop check it out, but its definitely noticeable.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
... I'll be barreling down the highway and all of a sudden its just warm air pouring in for a few minutes....
I've seen a few posts here about AC blowing hot air. Though my problem is different. It doesn't blow hot air, still blows cold. But the air stream is very weak, almost none.

Jturs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
I know it's a old thread but did you figure it out my 2018 JLU just started doing this. Exact same. Driving A/C works then air feels blocked off and stopped blowing but I can hear blower still. I pulled the cabin filter while mine was doing it yesterday and a ton of air was coming out of cabin filter making me think the evaporator is plugged. Turn it off and it's fine.

I think the evaporator is freezing because it only does it in high humidity and while it's raining and hot. (Southern AZ) also a few weeks ago during a rain storm it almost looked like small ice chips coming out vent. Bring a new meaning to ice cold AC.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't have a chance to run on any long freeway trips in really hot weather with no traffic since then. When in slower speed and in temperatures below 95F the A/C seems to be working fine all the time.

Sponsored

Jturs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
I didn't have a chance to run on any long freeway trips in really hot weather with no traffic since then. When in slower speed and in temperatures below 95F the A/C seems to be working fine all the time.

Ok so you never figured out the cause if it? There must be a evaporator temp sensor that isn't working properly.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
AC stops blowing on long trips

OMG. You had to make me think of my ex wife again.
Sponsored