Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I put brakes on my Jeep and my fellow off road traveler Gary’s Jeep. I started with Gary’s Jeep. Gary has a degree in Automotive Technology and has worked on vehicles for decades. He says, hey we don’t have any C clamps. I’m like hey I don’t use a cClamp I use screwdrivers to compress the calipers. He had never seen what I was talking about. I also was helping a friend do brakes and he had never seen the trick either and he builds seven second cars.

So here is a quick video on how to use screwdrivers to compress the brake calipers.

Note: we are traveling and do not have access to garage and all the extra tools we would have at home like Floor jacks and jack stands.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm getting ready to install the Teraflex Delta brakes on my JLUR soon. They are a 4 piston caliper, with pistons on both sides. Unfortunately, this tip won't do the trick on them (or my truck with 6 piston opposing pistons)

Reactions: J0E

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I've been doing a slightly modified version of that for nearly 40 years. I just wedge the prybar/screwdriver between the pad and the rotor and pry the pad back towards the piston(s). It'll work no matter how many pistons you have, just need to do one half at a time if you have pistons on both side of the caliper.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been doing a slightly modified version of that for nearly 40 years. I just wedge the prybar/screwdriver between the pad and the rotor and pry the pad back towards the piston(s). It'll work no matter how many pistons you have, just need to do one half at a time if you have pistons on both side of the caliper.
On a multi piston caliper with pistons on both sides, pushing pistons in one side at a time can allow the other side to move out unless restrained.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Typically, I used a screwdriver to do the same thing (heavy screwdriver). Once the caliper is compressed partially, I pull the caliper off and use a very large set of slip joint pliers against the inside pad to compress both pistons completely.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
On a multi piston caliper with pistons on both sides, pushing pistons in one side at a time can allow the other side to move out unless restrained.
Yep. gotta keep a screwdriver or something between the rotor and the pad to prevent one side moving while the other side is compressed. Or spend a few bucks and buy a specialty tool.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
My Dad had a steering wheel puller laying around in the garage. It is very effective at pushing back the calipers. And they are pretty compact in size, but I wouldn't see why anyone would carry one around in their Jeep...

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I may be wrong, but pretty sure I could use a screwdriver on each side and push the pads away from each side of the rotor.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
You’re on a road trip and suddenly say, screw it, let’s do the brakes!
We off road a lot like four to six days a week while we do multiple months trips. Like four to nine months of Jeeping a year. So we change brakes all the way around at or about 40,000 miles.

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I'm getting ready to install the Teraflex Delta brakes on my JLUR soon. They are a 4 piston caliper, with pistons on both sides. Unfortunately, this tip won't do the trick on them (or my truck with 6 piston opposing pistons)
Recently I read that some forum members had Teraflex Delta Brake kit installed and they do improve the breaking. They also mentioned "Soft Pedal" feel. Just something keep in mind. A guy said he already had the soft pedal issuer before and the new kit didn’t make it any better.